none
domain user surveillance

Question

• hi,

i'm currently running server 2008 r2 as a domain and file server, with a win7 forest and maybe one xp pc

today, i'm looking for a way to either get alerts or to just be able to watch what they are doing, what i lean is

• weather they are downloading that they shouldn't be
    • weather they are just spending there time laying on game (for now i don't want to block them)
    • weather they are going on to websites that they shouldn't be or just watch the site that they are visiting in general
    • e.t.c

may i also add that i'm looking to this per user and not per computer (if possible) maybe with the GPO

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I don't aware of any existing Microsoft solution that can be used to track all these user activities. Some third party tools might work for your case.

A possible way to monitor which Internet Web sites users are visiting is to configure your firewall to report on Web sites accessed according to user name and/or computer name.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Me neither don't aware of any existing MS solution. I'm thinking this might be illegal to monitor this activity.

If you are in the UK, before you implement any form of monitoring, have a read of The laws relating to monitoring your employees - published by Out-law.com, a UK law firm.

In my opinion, instead of monitoring, education is always the one best and low-cost way.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:29 AM
  • thanks for the firewall rule info
    is there a possibility to get a link telling me how to set that up please ?

may i also add that surveillance might of been the wrong word
    what i'm after is more of alerts that inform me weather someone tried to install something they shouldn't (installing programs will be blocked), or if the is any files that they shouldn't have in there files eg: torrents, games, illegal stuff, etc

or maybe if they try to hack the notwork

if you see what i mean

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:44 PM
  • -is there a possibility to get a link telling me how to set that up please ?

Microsoft's ISA Serverhavs built-in reporting features or have add-ons available that can provide reports of all Web sites accessed through the firewall and from what account and computer they were accessed.

This link should helps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794817.aspx

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:04 AM
  • Thanks Aravindhan for sharing the link.

glennmckenna, if you need further assistance on how to configure this, you can post in our ISA server forum below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/forefront/en-US/home?forum=Forefrontedgegeneral

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:28 AM
  • thanks for the answers aravindhan and ethan

and what about the "alerts" or is that sort of thing illegal ?

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:17 AM
  • ISA will create reports to summarize log information, and this should be legal :)

The Reports tab displays reports that have been created or are in the process of being created. You can use the reporting features to summarize and analyze usage patterns, and to monitor network security. You can manage existing reports, create scheduled report jobs, create one-time reports, and customize report information.

Friday, November 13, 2015 10:00 AM