Outlook 2010 Crash Related to Indexing PST RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

We are working to try and get Office 2010 pushed out to our employees but have had some interesting issues with a few of our users (two to be exact) directly related to Outlook 2010. The main problem here is that each user has a pst archive that they would like to use that was created in Office 2007. After transferring the archives we gave them a scan using the scanpst tool provided in the Office 14 folder. The scan results are shown bellow for each case. On one user the scan was able to resolve all errors on both archives (case 2). On the other user an annoying error still remains. Most people say that it took them 3-4 scans to repair the files all the way. On the one that still has the error (case 1) the scan was ran a total of 10 times (unfortunately, we don't have the results for all ten time just the main error). The real problem is when these archives are brought into each users Outlook account. Outlook will just freeze without the user doing anything. Now normally ending the process and restarting it would work fine. However, the first instance of Outlook.exe that you run cannot be closed. If it is tried to open again Outlook will just hang on the main loading screen. You can end the process but the first one still hangs around and demands a restart of the machine. This causes Windows 7 to hang on shutdown. In some rare cases after 30 minutes 7 is able to break the hang and complete the restart but most of the time a hard restart is need. 

We opened up a support ticket with Microsoft. Our ITS members are the ones mainly working on the problem. Upon a hunch, one of our guys went in and looked at Indexing as a possible culprit. This relates back to the original issue that we had when the user would try to search for content using Outlook and would get a similar crash (pre-pst errors). We gave the users new computers with Windows 7 and fresh installations of Office 2010 then did the steps listed above. Anyway, one of the other members of ITS disabled Indexing on the pst file type and on the archives. The problem appeared to disappear for both users with Indexing of Outlook files turned off. A real issue came into play when trying to move 100 or more emails on case 1. Outlook with pause for a minute (loading the files) then it will open the emails as an untitled email. Case 2 wanted to move emails between archives and got a similar crashing issue that we saw before.

In the case 2 I had a chance to work on the users laptop recently and tried to move various amounts of emails between archives and had no problems. We also turned Indexing back on for the file types and for Outlook and could not get it to hang again on either users computer.

Since then we have been trying to reproduce the problem to determine what the real cause is but we have not been able to reproduce the problem in any cases. The two of us that have been working on solving this problem are completely gassed when it comes to ideas to why this is cause or how to fix it. If you have any ideas please feel free to share them. But disabling Indexing seems to be the 'hot' work around at this time.    

Log Files Case 1:

Search cannot complete the indexing of your Outlook data. Indexing cannot continue for C:\Users\dgrina\Desktop\outlookarchive\archive_new.pst (error=0x809706ba). If this error continues, contact Microsoft Support.
    Event ID 36

Faulting application name: SCANPST.EXE, version: 14.0.4760.1000, time stamp: 0x4ba841ce
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0833f9c0
    Faulting process id: 0x14f4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb21fabf6d6793
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SCANPST.EXE
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 251ae687-8dee-11df-a80c-00247eaa5f71
    Event ID: 100

Case 2:

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

**Attempting to open database

**Attempting to validate header

**Attempting to validate AMap

!!AMap page @17408: CRC mismatch (read 832DDA91, computed 769C4C0E)

**Attempting to validate BBT

**Attempting to validate NBT

**Attempting to validate BBT refcounts

**Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks

**Beginning PST/OST recovery

**Attempting to recover all top-level objects

**Attempting to walk all folders

**Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages

**Performing final HMP validation

**Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency

**Updating folder hierarchy

**Attempting to fix original file

**Attempting to copy back BBT

**Attempting to copy back NBT

**Beginning NDB recovery

!!AMap page <@977478656> has csFree of 248, but should have 255

**Beginning NDB recovery

!!AMap page <@977732608> has csFree of 120, but should have 255

**Beginning NDB recovery

The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 14.0.4760.1000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
     Process ID: 1a58
     Start Time: 01cb1ee761973e63
     Termination Time: 60000
     Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
     Report Id: bccf36d4-8adc-11df-8a77-002713cf1fb5
    Error ID: 1002

The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 14.0.4760.1000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
     Process ID: 65c
     Start Time: 01cb1eef81910f5f
     Termination Time: 60000
     Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
     Report Id: 5072e391-8b7b-11df-b32d-002713cf1fb5
    Fault bucket 1248400267, type 5
    Event Name: AppHangB1
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: OUTLOOK.EXE
    P2: 14.0.4760.1000
    P3: 4ba8fefd
    P4: e306
    P5: 0
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\moliveira\AppData\Local\Temp\CVRD3F1.tmp.cvr
    C:\Users\moliveira\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB1F5.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\moliveira\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD703.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\moliveira\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_OUTLOOK.EXE_ec175659be3aef4ed7768be6f09cdfe1e85172_02762a11

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 5072e391-8b7b-11df-b32d-002713cf1fb5
    Report Status: 0

• Moved by Sally Tang Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:39 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

•  

Okay this is what I tested and appears to be working at this time.  I turned off indexing for the redirected network folder as well as for the outlook .pst files.  This appears to at the very least helped tremendously.  I have yet to have a hard freeze in outlook. 

I did reinstall the AV and it appears to be working with the AV as well.  Only time and user interaction will tell at this point. 

The only way I have been able to get any file from older versions to work is to do the following:

1. Take all .pst file versions and load them into a new profile on a machine running Office Outlook 2007.  I than create a blank .pst file in 07 and all the other files into it. 
    2. After importing all the files into one (make sure you are using a clean profile), I than take that file and place it for the user using 2010 (network share, locally, etc.)
    3. Before ever attaching or trying to open this file using Outlook 2010 you need to run SCANPST against it until you receive ZERO errors, it took me 4-5 times per file I did this with. 
    4. Now create a clean profile in outlook 2010, make sure that all com add-ins are turned OFF unless you absolutely must have them.
    5. In the clean profile make sure there is a new .pst data file created, open outlook and import in the file that you did scanpst against.  After importing close outlook asap and go back and run scanpst against the newly created file until you get no errors. 

I realize this is a bit drawn out and screwy but this is the only way I could get it to work.

I will post back if it quits working tomorrow.  

I want to add that I HATE that when outlook freezes in Win 7 that I can't seem to kill the process, I even tried pskill to no avail.  I have flamed on another thread about this so I will leave it alone here, just a side not. 

Levi
    • Marked as answer by Dave Grina Friday, August 20, 2010 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hey guys,

We have done some testing and technically still are but I wanted to let you know what our status is. At this point we have determined that there is an issue with folder redirection and pst files.  Once again MSFT let us know that they do not RECOMMEND using the network for the pst files because they are not designed to be quick (If you need a reference see the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019). Apparently, every time we scanned the pst files with Scanpst what we saw was the result of this poor speed. MSFT informed us that we got lucky no archives got destroyed. 

We have determined that the issue lies with folder redirection. We did various tests with 'My Documents' and folder redirection and only saw our users have issues with the redirection of this folder. So, our current situation is that we have been testing straight off the C: (meaning no network files at all, and no redirected files) and have not experienced any issues.

Now I come back to the question of "Why did MSFT make the default location for the pst files 'My Documents'?" MSFT was nice enough to make Office 2010 fully customizable so we could create network installers (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179063.aspx). From here you can edit the default location of pst files. Don't worry if you make the location a folder that doesn't exist; the installer creates it for you! 

We are using this as an acceptable solution in our company. We will be checking in with a user on Monday who we believe has pst files only on his C: (he could have a separate issue). I will let you guys know what happens in that part of the case but for now at least we have a possible work around.

Oh, one more thing. If you guys do decide to use our method the default pst location can be changed in:

Features-> Modify user settings-> Microsoft Outlook 2010-> Miscellaneous-> PST Settings-> "Default location for PST files"

Thanks for all your responses, testing, and ideas guys! Hope this helps! 

I should add: We tested from other shares on our network and they didn't have issues. The issues seem to be with folder redirection. 

Dave G. "Doing nothing is not an option."
    • Marked as answer by Dave Grina Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:29 PM
    • Edited by Dave Grina Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:46 PM Addition
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:29 PM
  • It has been a few days since I posted to this thread so a few updates:

I am not running this on any laptops, my machines are on the LAN with a Gig backbone, speed should really not be an issue. 
    I am now for the time being moving the .pst files to the local machines to see if this takes care of the problem.  I think the problem can be caused by a few different things:

• Indexing (Local Machine)
    • Bad Com Add-ins
    • Opportunistic File Locking (Server Side)
    I think one of these three is to blame, however, I cannot pinpoint exactly which is causing the problem.  I agree with Dave Grina that this more than likely has something to do with the Folder Redirection (see above as these can all affect that). 

I will post back after a few days of running the pst files on the local machine with an update.  I want it to be known that I don't think this is a FIX or even an applicable workaround, it is a load of ____ that needs fixed but for now I will run it however I can.
    Levi
    • Marked as answer by Dave Grina Friday, August 20, 2010 4:17 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Hey guys,

I just wanted to post what our fix was here.  Just got back from vacation and i found that while I was gone, our network guys disabled offline files in GPO.  The result was instant.  Even though our pst files were on our network at the root of our home drives, (not in my docs redirected) we didn't think much of file redirection.  When we realized in our troubleshooting we skipped right over the offline files component (all our offline files were set to sync), we went back to it, disabled in GPO and pow - FIXED!  No more hangs, at all. 

Hopefully you all can find resolutions soon, it was a pain for us.  Maybe this fix will help a few of you as well.

Dione

• Marked as answer by Dave Grina Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:25 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• Dave,

Ensure that the PST files are not on network shares, but rather on the local disk. Check the Windows event logs to ensure no disk errors or warnings are present. For your file-leven antivirus software, be sure to exclude .PST files from scanning.

You didn't mention how large the files are, but I'm going to guess they're quite large. It's possible that the indexing or other updating of the .PST files is delayed due to other performance issues on the PC. With that in mind, it may be necessary to simply allow Outlook to run so that those processes complete.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:50 PM
  • We have done all of the above. PST files have been located everywhere from the c: to the users u:. We disabled our AV and still had the problem. We have about 9 files we have collected from cases that range from 600MB all the way to 12.5GB. A recent development today may point to IM clients having a hand in the problem. In other words, all the machines that had problems had IM clients installed while the machines we test on don't have any clients installed.  
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:44 PM
  • We have made a break though with this issue. We have found a workaround that seems to solve the issue. PST archives need to be repaired using the scanpst.exe located in Program Files (x86)\microsoft office\office14. Scanning and repairing the files just isn't enough. Once the scan reports that no errors are found the pst file needs to be brought into Outlook and used (open some emails). Close Outlook and scan the file again at this point to produce more errors. Continue with these steps until there are no errors in the pst every time. If the freezing issue still occurs turn indexing off in two places. In Indexing Options go to the advanced menu and select the file types tab. From here it is possible to disable PST file types from indexing. While we are unsure if this completely solves the problem we also modify the indexing on Outlook and uncheck the archives. This is just a workaround and can only be fully fixed with a patch from Microsoft.

Please note, this is a very hard crash to reproduce. We have tried for weeks to get it to happen again only to fail. It also only appears on 2007 archives and not 2010 archives.

• Marked as answer by Dave Grina Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dave Grina Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Klapw Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Thank you for the update Dave.

If you'd like to get us a PST that we can try to reproduce here, please drop me a line at cts-aruiz at live dotcom and I'll get in touch with you to proceed.

Thanks again,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Upon further issues with Outlook 2010 we have determined that this workaround only works in select cases. We have seen the same issue reappear in two cases that the workaround was used on. We are still working with Microsoft to find an actual cause and fix for this problem. I will keep this updated with any developments.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:14 PM
  • We are experiencing all those same symptoms here, however most of our hangs were attributed to PST's over the network, we did experience one hang from a local pst.  Were you able to get anywhere with Microsoft Support?
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:29 PM
  • We are also experiencing precisely the same thing in our environment, with the same intermittent results. I'd love to hear if there are any more satisfactory workarounds or even a real solution that allows all files to be indexed.

Could this be somehow related to running an x64 OS and an x32 Office install? Has anybody had this problem with the x64 Office on an x64 OS?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:41 PM
  • We are excited to see some people with the same issue finally! We are working with MS who told us today to stay away from x64 2010 Outlook because of a worse issue. Right now we are just kind of stuck collecting logs but I will let you guys know when we have more. For now it looks like removing pst archives will prevent the issue but it is not a very good workaround. One thing that we are looking into with them is the possibility of some type of add in Outlook doesn't like. We have a machine that we can reproduce the issue on 100% of the time en-route to our office and should be able to get results then. 

Here is something to look into: When is auto archiving set for on the users machines? One of our users only sees the issue when Outlook archives on Mondays.

As soon as I find something I will let you guys know!

• Edited by Dave Grina Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:46 PM Grammer
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:45 PM
  • deoney,

We thought about that too. We safely ruled that option out though during our 3 weeks of trying to reproduce the issue.

Dave

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:57 PM
  • We seem to be having the same issue with PST files at our location as well.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Here is a question for you guys: What types of computers is this happening to? I.E. Laptops and/or PCs

-Dave

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Also, have you guys scanned the pst files? If so was there corruption? What kind of errors did you guys get on the scans?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:03 PM
  • We speculate that this thread is linked in some way or another: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/a424b496-d135-4cbc-aa76-4293f80ce712
    It is worth checking your event logs to see if this is present in all of your cases like it is with ours.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:48 PM
  • My company is experiancing it on HP Laptops, but thats all we have installed Office Pro Plus 2010 on so far.  They are all newer HP EliteBooks, 8540 and 8530s running Windows 7.  Not all of the 8540's that we have experiance the issue though, so I don't think its model specific.

We just recognized this as an issue this week, so I have not done much troubleshooting yet.  We do run our archives over redirected My Documents folders.  Turning off the archiving and closing the files seems to allow the users to work (only tested this for a few hours though).  We have not tried scanning the PST files yet, but I can tell you that one of the computers does it with a brand new archive file thats very small (400MB).

I have also tried deleting the entire outlook profile and recreating, but that did not gain me anything.

I will try to disable indexing and get back to you.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:16 PM
  • My company is experiancing it on HP Laptops, but thats all we have installed Office Pro Plus 2010 on so far.  They are all newer HP EliteBooks, 8540 and 8530s running Windows 7.  Not all of the 8540's that we have experiance the issue though, so I don't think its model specific.

We just recognized this as an issue this week, so I have not done much troubleshooting yet.  We do run our archives over redirected My Documents folders.  Turning off the archiving and closing the files seems to allow the users to work (only tested this for a few hours though).  We have not tried scanning the PST files yet, but I can tell you that one of the computers does it with a brand new archive file thats very small (400MB).

I have also tried deleting the entire outlook profile and recreating, but that did not gain me anything.

I will try to disable indexing and get back to you.

In addition, we are running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and Office Pro Plus 2010 32-bit.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:18 PM
  • We originally experienced it on Dell laptops and had that pegged as our main issue until one of our users had the issue manifest itself on a HDNW box. Don't try to hard to reproduce the issue because it is almost impossible. If you can grab one of the affected users machines and use it for testing. Removing archives and turning archiving off does fix the issue it seems but it is not the kind of fix we want.

We figured that a new archive in 2010 wouldn't have errors in it when scanned but that was not the case. As it turns out 2010 creates errors in the pst archive and you just have to do the steps that I listed above to repair them fully. Even this doesn't seem to fix the issue for some reason.

We had to totally blow away one of our users profiles and that still didn't solve the issue. We (the other guy in the company who is working on this issue with me) think that it has something to do with Outlook corrupting the pst files when it writes to them then Indexing chokes on the messed up parts. That is just speculation though.

Do give the old workaround a try and see if it works for you guys. It may solve just one user like it did for us. Do let us know if you decide to scan the pst file and try the work around. I will be curious to see what happens.

One last thing, we tried everything from replicating the users accounts and machines exactly to just having 7 and 2010 installed and couldn't get the hang to happen. We even nuked our AV on one computer but it didn't matter.

We also created new machines for the users and still had the issue.

• Edited by Dave Grina Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:52 PM Add
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Have not tried Scanning the new archive files, how ever dissabling the Indexing seems to have promise on my managers computer.  That is after its already caused the outlook lockup a couple times, on a new Archive file.  I disabled indexing the Archive about 3:30pm and he used it until 5:00pm without issue.  Will see about introducing the bigger archive file he has into the mix tomorrow.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:55 AM
  • "Happy" to see other people having the same problem. With my configuration, the problem is 100% reproducable. Brand new Dell Latitude E6510 with office 2010 32 bit preinstalled. Windows 7 64 bit. Open the archive.pst that was on the user's old computer (outlook 2007) and outlook hangs, cannot be stopped not even by killing the process. On opening, also internet explorer hangs. Cannot restart computer without hard reset.

Remove the archive.pst and the problem is solved.

I hope the solution comes soon. 

OK, today I found some time to do additional testing with interesting results that can perhaps lead the Microsoft guys to the root problem.

First, what I forgot to mention in my previous post was that the archive.pst was located in the "new outlook 2010" directory "Outlook-files" in My documents. My documents is a redirected folder. (To 2003 server) and is indexed.

First I did a scanpst on the file AND put it in a directory that is not redirected and not indexed. The file opened without a problem.

Then I recopied the original file to a directory that is not indexed or redirected WITHOUT the scanpst. The file still opened without any problem.

Upon recopying the file to the redirected and indexed directory the problem reoccurred.

So my (maybe simple) conclusion also lead to a combined file-redirection-indexing problem.

• Edited by Frankvl777 Friday, August 6, 2010 2:45 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:56 AM
  • GW,

Like I said, that was our fix for one user. We later found that on our other users it seemed to work for awhile then would just go right back to hanging. I am glad that it worked for you guys and a bigger archive shouldn't make very much of a difference. We have archives that are 100MB now all the way to a 12G archive and see the issue all around.

Frank,

That is kind of like our case that we can reproduce as well. We are having the user whose laptop it is on ship it back to us so we can do a variety of tests. The difference is that ours is a clean install of everything. So it is good to know that it happens straight out of the factory too.

As soon as I hear something about what could be a root cause I will let you guys know.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Frank,

We have ruled out the redirection theory on our end. Only a users documents and email archive, located on their U drive, are redirected. We have run the pst files off the C drive which has no redirection and still experienced the issue many times. 

It could very well be that our issues are similar but have different causes. 

Also, let it simmer for a bit. We have had times that we thought it was fixed then a few days later it was back hanging away. 

Dave G. 

Friday, August 6, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Frank,

With your response on network pst files MSFT sent us this little link today http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

They are also refusing to look at any network pst files because of this article. The question that we want to know is why does the default location go to the users documents folder that is redirected in most companies?! We are still working with them to find out what could be the EXACT cause of the problem. Just for laughs we tried network and C: pst files and both still managed to reproduce the issue (which we already confirmed).    

Dave G.

Monday, August 9, 2010 11:53 PM
  • We are having the same issues.  I am just now attempting to introduce Outlook 2010 into our environment.  All of the above is exactly what we are having happen. 

Windows 7 32 bit
    Office Outlook 2010 32 bit

We have been running our users .pst files off of a network share for years and have had very limited problems with this.  Now it appears that we will be unable to do this?  I refuse to buy an exchange server. 

I am turning off indexing and moving the pst file to a local folder.  I will also run scanpst a few more times to see what it comes up with.  My only advice from MSFT support was to "reinstall office", I have previously not only reinstalled office but reinstalled the OS so this is going nowhere. 

I did disable com addins to no avail.
    Running in safe mode does not stop it from freezing up, once it freezes up the outlook.exe process that hangs I am unable to kill by any means other than a power fail/cold boot.  At this point my user really needs this workstation back in place (yay executive staff); I guess I am thinking of rolling them back to 2007.

I will post back after troubleshooting more.

Levi
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Levi,

Thanks for the details! MSFT keeps pointing to our AV so we are going to rule that out today. Hopefully I will be able to come back here soon and let you guys know what the official workaround is. 

One question to all you guys: What type of AV are you running? We are on Sophos and MSFT speculates that it could be causing some of the problems. 

-Dave G.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Dave G.,

We run Trend Micro OfficeScan 10.

I ran the Beta version of Office 2010 on my laptop for months and worked with a lot of users archive files without ever having lockup issues like this.  Was something changed in the RTM maybe?

As for PST files on the network, it would be nice if Microsoft would recognize the demand and need for storing mail offline in a safe location (like on a Microsoft Windows Server where it can be backed up).  Its like being told "who will ever need more the 620K" all over again.  But thats a topic for another discussion.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:23 PM
  • GW,

Well we can officially say that the problem is not related to the network. One of our users just added her pst files from the folder "C:\Outlook archives" that is not linked to the network! She experienced the issue almost immediately after adding the files to her account.

In terms of a change in RTM it very well could be. The only strange thing about it is the fact that we all have the same issue that seems to be intermittent. If the AV or network was accentually causing the problem I would assume that it would be more widespread. Plus, most of our users with 2010 have their archives on the network still and have reported no problems.

I still think that it has something to do with Outlook 2007... but we will see!

If you guys can reproduce the issue often could you try to make it so the AV will ignore the pst and ost files? It is just worth trying. 

Dave G.   

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Dave,

Thanks for your previous contributions. Our AV is Symantec endpoint protection.

Meanwhile no problems anymore with us since applying the steps described in my previous message. Just lucky it seems.

I'm not into MSFT bashing but the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019 reply to you seems a bit ridiculous since outlook creates its native archive.pst file in My documents AND MSFT recommended practice is to redirect this folder.

Frank

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:38 PM
  •  

Okay this is what I tested and appears to be working at this time.  I turned off indexing for the redirected network folder as well as for the outlook .pst files.  This appears to at the very least helped tremendously.  I have yet to have a hard freeze in outlook. 

I did reinstall the AV and it appears to be working with the AV as well.  Only time and user interaction will tell at this point. 

The only way I have been able to get any file from older versions to work is to do the following:

1. Take all .pst file versions and load them into a new profile on a machine running Office Outlook 2007.  I than create a blank .pst file in 07 and all the other files into it. 
    2. After importing all the files into one (make sure you are using a clean profile), I than take that file and place it for the user using 2010 (network share, locally, etc.)
    3. Before ever attaching or trying to open this file using Outlook 2010 you need to run SCANPST against it until you receive ZERO errors, it took me 4-5 times per file I did this with. 
    4. Now create a clean profile in outlook 2010, make sure that all com add-ins are turned OFF unless you absolutely must have them.
    5. In the clean profile make sure there is a new .pst data file created, open outlook and import in the file that you did scanpst against.  After importing close outlook asap and go back and run scanpst against the newly created file until you get no errors. 

I realize this is a bit drawn out and screwy but this is the only way I could get it to work.

I will post back if it quits working tomorrow.  

I want to add that I HATE that when outlook freezes in Win 7 that I can't seem to kill the process, I even tried pskill to no avail.  I have flamed on another thread about this so I will leave it alone here, just a side not. 

Levi
    • Marked as answer by Dave Grina Friday, August 20, 2010 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Levi,

Wow! Looks like you guys did a lot of work on this issue! I just had a few questions though.

When you say "clean profile" do you mean just make a dummy email account that has no purpose other than moving emails?

Did you just try to disable the com add-ins without doing the other steps? If not we will look into this.    

Have you had your users try to archive to the "new" archive yet? 

It is such a pain when Outlook freezes like this. It made us want to rip our hair out the first time because we had to Remote Desktop into the first couple users machines. It was even worse when it was just us on here with no other cases. Believe me we share your pain.

Now if it was Linux, when you killed the program something would actually happen!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Levi,

Wow! Looks like you guys did a lot of work on this issue! I just had a few questions though.

When you say "clean profile" do you mean just make a dummy email account that has no purpose other than moving emails?

Did you just try to disable the com add-ins without doing the other steps? If not we will look into this.    

Have you had your users try to archive to the "new" archive yet? 

It is such a pain when Outlook freezes like this. It made us want to rip our hair out the first time because we had to Remote Desktop into the first couple users machines. It was even worse when it was just us on here with no other cases. Believe me we share your pain.

Now if it was Linux, when you killed the program something would actually happen!

Yes the clean profile is just a dummy profile, however, you will want to use a clean profile for the actual user after you have done all the steps.

Yes I did try and just disable the com addins, still suffered from freezes. 

And no I haven't had them try to archive yet, I am going to get a test machine rolling with the exact setup so I can really tear into it (this was all happening on a users machine).  I actually turned auto archive off.

I will send you to this thread on the hung process issue: I am catching a lot of ____ for "lashing" out at someone defending the hung process issue as a hardware issue.:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/598fe2b4-844d-412d-b195-5fa53dc62661/?prof=required

Levi
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Levi,

Good luck with the test machine man. It's tough to get one going with the same issue. We tried for 3 weeks and finally just figured it would be better to take a users machine that had the issue and roll out one of our extras to her. 

Our users have a cap on their inbox here. We have mentioned cleaning out emails that they don't need anymore but they always claim that they might need them in the future. I'm afraid that if we lift archiving that our server will become bogged down with email very quickly and we might have to go on a cleaning "rampage".

Did you try your steps that you listed above with auto archiving turned on? This could point to what the issue really is. Originally, we thought that this was not the issue but now that I think about it all of the users that have experienced this issue have had auto archiving on.

Man this thread is way more mellow than that other one! I am tempted to go jump in and say "Look, we are working on the issue on another thread. We all have the same issue with different hardware. This points to something wrong with the PROGRAM and not our hardware. I know this for a fact because I personally set up the machines that have this issue. They have the latest "bleeding-edge" drivers.

I am going to make an attempt to auto archive into one of the users archives today. If what I think is true my Outlook should hang.

Also, we blew away Sophos on one of our users computers and had him archive. No issue, sadly. 

Wait! What if it is a combination of auto archiving and AV?! Meaning, what if they don't play nice together. 

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Levi,

Good luck with the test machine man. It's tough to get one going with the same issue. We tried for 3 weeks and finally just figured it would be better to take a users machine that had the issue and roll out one of our extras to her. 

Our users have a cap on their inbox here. We have mentioned cleaning out emails that they don't need anymore but they always claim that they might need them in the future. I'm afraid that if we lift archiving that our server will become bogged down with email very quickly and we might have to go on a cleaning "rampage".

Did you try your steps that you listed above with auto archiving turned on? This could point to what the issue really is. Originally, we thought that this was not the issue but now that I think about it all of the users that have experienced this issue have had auto archiving on.

Man this thread is way more mellow than that other one! I am tempted to go jump in and say "Look, we are working on the issue on another thread. We all have the same issue with different hardware. This points to something wrong with the PROGRAM and not our hardware. I know this for a fact because I personally set up the machines that have this issue. They have the latest "bleeding-edge" drivers.

I am going to make an attempt to auto archive into one of the users archives today. If what I think is true my Outlook should hang.

Also, we blew away Sophos on one of our users computers and had him archive. No issue, sadly. 

Wait! What if it is a combination of auto archiving and AV?! Meaning, what if they don't play nice together. 

It could very well be an issue between auto-archiving and AV, especially at first creation of the archive file do the the fact that a program is trying to write a "new" file to a directory.  Maybe try adding .pst to a white list/safe list in your AV.  I think the problem lies in the OS attempting to index the .pst file while it is in use, however, I wont know until I can test it.

Levi
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:01 PM
  • That is originally what we thought too! So much has happened with the issue it seems like it could be a million things. We will see what MSFT has to say. They are checking out our most recent logs now.  
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:55 PM
  • An update from our end here.  As we've only been able to recreate the hang once while running pst locally, we put our psts back onto the network and continued to troubleshoot from that perspective.  After discussions with our network team, someone had suggested mapping our home drive (where pst's located) via the IP address of the server as opposed to it's name.  I'm not very knowledgable on servers and networking but was told that this would eliminate a lot of MS protocols within the communication string (SMB, SMB2 for instance).  When a few of us did this, we immediately saw results.  We didn't experience new hangs, and we also noticed that navigating the pst files was a lot quicker.  No more waiting 1/2 second for the view to change.  Wow!!

From this result, we're working on doing tests relating to how MS uses communication protocols (apparently smb2 is pretty new) as well as how our netapp filer is setup.  One of our other global offices has netapp as well, but none of thier 1000+ users experience hangs like our location does.  This is in now way a proper solution, as we don't want to map users to IP address shares, but seems to be taking us in the right direction. 

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:39 PM
  • The issue with the SMB protocol is the fact that in larger environments it relies inherently on services such as WINS and to a certain extent DNS.  Both WINS and DNS have a large amount of overhead due to server caching etc. 

One of the things you could possibly do is prioritize some of your traffic including SMB, HOWEVER, smb is used frequently and prioritizing that type of traffic could have a dramatic impact on other applications performance.  The read time issue could even be a server issue with an under-performing server with slow read/write to disk times.

I am thinking now that this could be a possibility of "some" of the hangs in the application, possibly there is an internal timeout setting and Office 2010 expects a quicker response from pst files than earlier versions(this is simply a theory and has no basis in something I "know").  I have yet to receive my shipment of pc's so I haven't started testing again yet.  I will soon!

Best of luck to you all and hope to hear some news on this issue.

Levi

EDIT:  I wanted to note the following:  Great improvements have been made in Server 2008 and Windows 7 environments regarding the performance of the smb protocol (smb2.1).   However, if you are using server 2003 it is my understanding you are still using the smb protocol.

• Edited by levi.rogers Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:56 PM Added Info.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:53 PM
  • What Levi suggested when he talked about slow read/write is talked about in the article that MSFT gave us that was basically saying "We won't help with what we preach." (In one of the above posts I made). That is most likely why they don't want to touch network pst issues. The issue isn't the pst files on the network, we have been doing that for years with no issues. The issue is with people who have slow links and/or bad read/write performance who called in and complained. 

deoney-

It would be interesting to check if indexing touches those pst files now that they are on the server. I would also be interested to see if the problem just comes back up after awhile. Also, try indexing to those pst files (how we reproduce one of our cases).

We are in the same boat again Levi. One of our users got a brand new system so we could do testing on her old one. The problem is that it's been a whole week and she hasn't sent us our test system. So we just have to sit and wait until we can do some serious testing. It sucks that we have to wait because I'm itching to do some very brutal testing on the machine.   

Dave

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:42 PM
  • If the .pst file is in a Redirected Folder than it appears it does attempt to index it.  Still waiting on machine.

Levi
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:01 PM
  • I have been stuggling with this issue as well.  A work around that so far seems to work but is something I do not want to be permanent is to Disable the Windows Search Service.  I know this is obvious but I figured I would throw it out there.  I can't believe MS missed this...This is not some side function of Outlook this is a main function of the software...

I look foreward to reading updates as I cannot honestly see upgrading our entire company to 2010 with this issue. 

P.S. I noticed some thought it to be specific to Pro Plus but it is also a problem in Standard.

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Hey mheinle, welcome to the club! It's good that disabling search did the trick for you. Because it doesn't seem to work on most of our systems that have the issue anymore.

The good news is that we should be getting our test system at the beginning of the week! I had to be kind of a jerk but I got my point across, finally. The point is that as soon as we get our machine we will be able to do some serious testing with MSFT and (hopefully) pin down a solution that is more efficient than what we have found so far. 

Dave

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Heard back from MSFT guys...

It's not looking good. They keep pointing at network pst files that seem to be present even when our users are using pst archives that are located on the C: 

Furthermore, even though we had Sophos disabled it was still present in the logs we collected. Which makes MSFT say "that's a Sophos problem not a MSFT problem."

What we don't get is if it is Sophos why haven't more of our users experienced the same issue? I am leaning towards networking at this point; but we will wait and see what they say when we receive that system. 

If it is Sophos causing the problem, then MSFT should do more testing with anti-virus programs that are not MSFT sponsored or owned. Sorry, I'm ranting now... I'll let you guys know what they say when we test on the laptop next week. 

Have a good weekend guys,

• Proposed as answer by Wellzie Monday, August 16, 2010 8:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dave Grina Monday, August 16, 2010 8:48 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Wellzie,

It is still very unclear what the real problem is and would be premature to put that as an answer to the issue when it may not be. In fact, I discussed this as a possible answer with my fellow team members and we agreed that it is extremely unlikely because 100% of our environment runs Sophos and many have Outlook 2010 with pst archives and are experiencing no issues.     

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Dave G.,

I think we can rule out the specific AV vendor since we run Trend Micro with the same issue.  Not to say that it isn't a problem with how the AV programs interface with the new outlook, but I would think that would mean that its not a specific AV vendors issue, and perhaps back on Microsoft to look into why the AV programs are causeing this, if indead it is a AV issue.

I have not had a chance to do much else with testing to help you guys... i am away on a project this week and will not be able to get back to this until I get a license of 2010 for my pc to play with.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Dave G,

Not sure what happened to my post yesterday, maybe I accidentally deleted it, but I did state in there that I didn't mean to mark that as a proposed answer, was just going to reply to the posts, but inadvertently hit the "propose as answer" instead.

I, myself, do not think that AV of any kind has anything to do with this issue.  We run Symantec Endpoint Protection, not Sophos.  I did have some luck yesterday installing Office 2007 then upgrading to 2010, but when I came back in this morning, Outlook had started hanging again after recieving numerous "search Gatherer" errors in the application event log.

Has anyone tried using another W7 disc to do a clean install on any of your systems having this issue, another disc other than what had originally came with the system?  Or, using another hard disk? 

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Yes we have tested a clean install. Same issue even with a totally new system. As for testing we are having one heck of a time getting our test machine into the office. We still believe that the gatherer errors have something to do with this issue but MSFT won't look at them until we either uninstall Sophos or get on the phone with them and establish that it is not the issue. As soon as we get our test machine I will let you guys know what tests are going to happen and what the results are.  

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Thanks Dave.  For me, this will be the 5th clean install of this system, however, before I always used the HP discs that it came with (opting out of installing all the HP software), that's why I thought this time I'd use our W7 disc from Microsoft instead.  I'm just getting to the point of installing office again, without anything else on the system (again!).  I agree that the Gatherer errors have something to do with all of this, I've gotten to the point that when I start seeing them in the event logs....it's only a matter of minutes that Outlook starts to hang.

I'll post back later today on my findings this go-around, but if you have already done this, I'll probably end up with the same result.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:44 PM
  • At least you can get it to hang again with a fresh install. We just had to tell one of our users that we would give them a new machine in exchange for one that we can test on.

Are your pst files being accessed from the network or the C?

Assuming that it does have something to do with the antivirus it is Microsoft's problem. If all of us have the same issue with different AV products it is MSFT's problem.  

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Our pst files are typically on the users' personal network drive (U:\) however, I have tried copying pst files to the local machine's C drive as well and still had the same problems.  I have also had the issue even if I had closed out all archive files.

It also hasn't mattered who I've logged into the machine, does it with every account, which has ruled out a corrupt network account and/or even Outlook profile because all the same accounts work just fine on other machines-both XP and W7 (64 and 32 bit).

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Not that I can be 100% sure we are all experiencing the exact same thing but I am convinced this is not an AV issue.  I was having the problem after installing Office 2010.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit and installed Only Office 2010 32-bit Pro Plus (I have done all of this with 64-bit as well) No AV installed at all.  Everything worked great until I open a PST file that I copied from the network to my local drive.  It opened the first time but then when I tried to move something to the PST Outlook hung.  I had to Hard reset the PC then I stopped and disabled the Windows Search service.  Open Outlook and the problem has not returned. 

I also configured a new PC for another user running Windows 7 32-bit and Office 2010 Standard and Symantic End Point and I forgot to connect her PST's...Everything worked great until she reminded me so I went and connected them (issued her a warning first) and sure enough it broke!!! She said she did not need the PST so I disconnected it and wala she works great again and has not had any issues since.

Basically I can easily reproduce the issue by turning on search and connect a PST to Outlook 2010.  I can fix it by either disabling Search or disconnecting the PST.  But if both are on I crash everytime.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Guys,

As most of you guys have mentioned your systems that have the issue are laptops. I propose a new question to you:

Wired or Wireless? 

We have received our test machine and began testing this morning. I have developed a few ideas about the issues today that I would like to share.

#1: Wireless is not good for pst files. The issue here is that, as MSFT keeps pointing out, pst files are not made to be on a network. The are not built for receiving or giving data at high speeds. If your user has wireless it increases the risk of something going wrong. As ITS people know wireless signals tend to change constantly. MSFT admitted that you can still do pst files over the network they just don't recommend it because of connection issues.

#2: Our filter has some sort of problem. Where most of our users go to add their pst files is their redirected 'My Documents'. I think that there may be something done to the pst files during redirection that may cause our issue. I think this because I tested the pst files that had problems from different network locations and had no problems (just confirmed this using my work PC).

#3: It is absolutely not our AV, for all the reasons above. Erica's laptop had 0 issues with Sophos on! I was accessing pst files from all over the place, with a wired connection, and had no issues. Soon as I kicked the laptop over to wireless problems showed up.

I plan to do more testing the next couple days to figure out the true cause and find a workaround.    

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Still following your thread although our problems continue to be solved since we put the pst files locally and non-indexed. Of course we want to return to the situation where the archive files reside on the server for backup purposes and for ease of transfer in case of a computer change.

To answer your question: the computer that was experiencing the problem was a laptop but was wired.

grts,

Frank

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hey guys,

We have done some testing and technically still are but I wanted to let you know what our status is. At this point we have determined that there is an issue with folder redirection and pst files.  Once again MSFT let us know that they do not RECOMMEND using the network for the pst files because they are not designed to be quick (If you need a reference see the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019). Apparently, every time we scanned the pst files with Scanpst what we saw was the result of this poor speed. MSFT informed us that we got lucky no archives got destroyed. 

We have determined that the issue lies with folder redirection. We did various tests with 'My Documents' and folder redirection and only saw our users have issues with the redirection of this folder. So, our current situation is that we have been testing straight off the C: (meaning no network files at all, and no redirected files) and have not experienced any issues.

Now I come back to the question of "Why did MSFT make the default location for the pst files 'My Documents'?" MSFT was nice enough to make Office 2010 fully customizable so we could create network installers (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179063.aspx). From here you can edit the default location of pst files. Don't worry if you make the location a folder that doesn't exist; the installer creates it for you! 

We are using this as an acceptable solution in our company. We will be checking in with a user on Monday who we believe has pst files only on his C: (he could have a separate issue). I will let you guys know what happens in that part of the case but for now at least we have a possible work around.

Oh, one more thing. If you guys do decide to use our method the default pst location can be changed in:

Features-> Modify user settings-> Microsoft Outlook 2010-> Miscellaneous-> PST Settings-> "Default location for PST files"

Thanks for all your responses, testing, and ideas guys! Hope this helps! 

I should add: We tested from other shares on our network and they didn't have issues. The issues seem to be with folder redirection. 

• Marked as answer by Dave Grina Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:29 PM
    • Edited by Dave Grina Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:46 PM Addition
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:29 PM
  • It has been a few days since I posted to this thread so a few updates:

I am not running this on any laptops, my machines are on the LAN with a Gig backbone, speed should really not be an issue. 
    I am now for the time being moving the .pst files to the local machines to see if this takes care of the problem.  I think the problem can be caused by a few different things:

• Indexing (Local Machine)
    • Bad Com Add-ins
    • Opportunistic File Locking (Server Side)
    I think one of these three is to blame, however, I cannot pinpoint exactly which is causing the problem.  I agree with Dave Grina that this more than likely has something to do with the Folder Redirection (see above as these can all affect that). 

I will post back after a few days of running the pst files on the local machine with an update.  I want it to be known that I don't think this is a FIX or even an applicable workaround, it is a load of ____ that needs fixed but for now I will run it however I can.
    Levi
    • Marked as answer by Dave Grina Friday, August 20, 2010 4:17 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Basically, we have found that our users are adding PST files without looking at where they are located making our workaround void. Here is a link on making a regedit to change any current users default locations. http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/registry2/changing-the-default-location-for-ost-and-pst-files.aspx 

Substitute the 11.0 folder in the string for 14.0 and you will be fine.  

• Edited by Dave Grina Friday, August 20, 2010 5:36 PM Typo
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:11 PM
  • I wanted to add onto this what I am doing with storage of the .pst files - I am just setting windows backup to make a backup into the My Docs Redired folder.
    Levi
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I wanted to add onto this what I am doing with storage of the .pst files - I am just setting windows backup to make a backup into the My Docs Redired folder.
    Levi

Great idea!
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:54 PM
    Levi
    Interesting. Please do let us know what you find by doing this. I am assuming that if you decided that this works you would just create a policy that has this setting in it and apply it to all of your computer objects. 
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Hey guys,

I just wanted to post what our fix was here.  Just got back from vacation and i found that while I was gone, our network guys disabled offline files in GPO.  The result was instant.  Even though our pst files were on our network at the root of our home drives, (not in my docs redirected) we didn't think much of file redirection.  When we realized in our troubleshooting we skipped right over the offline files component (all our offline files were set to sync), we went back to it, disabled in GPO and pow - FIXED!  No more hangs, at all. 

Hopefully you all can find resolutions soon, it was a pain for us.  Maybe this fix will help a few of you as well.

Dione

• Marked as answer by Dave Grina Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:25 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I like it! It makes sense that this could cause the issue. Thanks for the input. We have nuked PST files in folder redirection completely so we kind of circumnavigated the issue. I think that we have effectively narrowed the issue down to folder redirection. Thanks for the follow up!   

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Has anyone ever found a definitive solution to this issue?

We have tried every suggestion in this thread, and are still having these problems with Outlook.

Outlook constantly freezes when moving emails between folders or deleting multiple emails.

All of the users with the freeze issues are using Windows 7.

None of our users who are still using XP are having any problems.  We recently started upgrading people, and are hesitant to continue when every Windows 7 user is complaining about these Outlook issues.

The versions of Outlook vary, including 2003, 2007 and 2010.  All are having freeze issues.

All of the pst file sizes have been checked, and all are fine, as we encourage users to work on file management and organization, as much as possible.

Some have pst files on network drives.  We tested moving these to the local drive, and that did not seem to correct the problem.

Users with only local pst, which have always been local, are having the same issues.

We tried one by one removing Add-ins, disabling Indexing and Windows Search, etc. options as discussed above.

Off-line files are not enabled.

Thank you for any other suggestions!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Man, I went through a tough time with this issue in Outlook 2007.  I did all of the above including uninstall and reinstall but what finally got me back up to speed was disabling all add ons in Outlook. 

I also installed two different registry cleaners and optimizers.  That seemed to help as well.

Hope this helps. 

Connie Amundson

Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Hey Aorg,

Haven't checked this in awhile but figured I would jump in and see what is going on and if anyone had a light bulb moment on the issue. I am curious as to where your Outlook points to as a default location for .pst files. We worked with MSFT on the problem only to figure out that it was network archives. Have you tried excluding the AV from scanning the .pst files yet? it could simply be a problem of the AV scanning them while they are being read or wrote to. We learned that archives are not good at quickly reading or writing...

Hope this helps to have some ideas!

Dave

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:14 AM
  • It seems to be specificly PST files on the network.  I think I had some luck with disabling Indexing on each PST, but thats a pain and has to be done each time a PST file is created or opened. 

I have to move users PST files to the C drive and copy them to the server when the user logs in for a backup.  Not the most ideal solution since they are 6+ GB files.  Its compounded by the fact that if a user creates a new PST it will default to the Documents/Outlook Files folder, and on our network this is a redirected folder (isn't that something Microsoft recommends for backup and Portability?).

The Windows 7 Service Pack 1 does not fix this, so I think at this point we can only hope that the fix will magicly be rolled into SP1 for Office 2010.  I know they don't officially support PST on the network, and I know the potential pitfalls of doing it, but the backup needs outway the very slight potential for corruption.  When something works for over 10 years and then suddenly stops, thats a bug that needs to be addressed.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Wow, this is a great thread. I have been struggling with this problem for the last few weeks. My work around for now was to disable auto archive. none of our machines will archive automatically when it is on anyway. The times I tried to manually archive, it produced errors and didn't move the files. This on several computers. We are using folder redirection and the .pst files are on the share. I may try the ip mapping. I have tried all of the suggestions above, to no avail. I truly believe it is a problem with the archive function and not an network issue. I 'm not sure how much effort Msft will put into this, becasue it would be admittinng that some of the people using Exchange might not really need it. This is, if all they want to do is keep their email on a single server for backup purposes. We fall into this category.

Right now the only computer that Outlook is freezing up on is one that had the corrupt archive.pst. Even if I repair the archive.pst file until it shows no errors with scanpst and import them into a new archive file, it still freezes up. If I remove the archive.pst from the profile, all is well. I tried creating a whole new profile and still if I have the archive.pst, it freezes up. (says Not Responding in the title bar).

Our .pst files aren't that large yet, but there will come a day when they will be and in my experience, Outlook doesn't like files bigger than 3.2 GB.

If anyone has anything else on this one, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks

Grant

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:27 AM
  • I have a small piece of data to add to this:

I'm running Win7 x64, and Office 2010 Pro x64.

Although my recent pst is local, I keep older ones for previous years in My Documents which is re-directed to a share on a Server 2003 x64 machine.  Until recently I've been able to open the pst files on the server with no issues (except speed).  Recently I enabled file indexing on the file server and now when I add the pst to Outlook it hangs (and the task cannot be killed).

(The pst on the file sever was created with Office 2007, don't know if this signifies anything).

I've disabled indexing of pst files on the server, we'll see if this makes a difference.

Fortunately most of our users user Office 2007 and have no problems with network based pst's.  Although, if pst files are not designed to be stored on the network, perhaps the Office team could come up with an alternative file type, given that storage of old email on a file server is something most users would like to do.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:42 AM
  • I am running Windows 7 x64 and Office 2010 x32. 

Issue:  Adding PST files that are on my redirected "Documents" Folder then system hangs soon after being added.  Another wierd issue is the system does not shutdown. It can stay at the "Logging off" screen for over 3 days!!!  Furthermore, I am unable to kill the outlook.exe process.

Solution 1: Move PST file locally and system behaves normaly.

Solution 2: As soon as I add the PST from the redirected network "Documents" Folder, I manually go to File -> Options -> Search -> Index Options -> Modify --> Microsoft Outlook and uncheck the "PST file name"

All other solutions suggested in this thread do not fix the issue for me either.

Draw back for Solution 2 is searching PST files doesn't work.

Anyone else find a better solution? or Fix?

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Hardly helpful but some extra info --

I am in the process of rolling out Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 and I've been seeing this problem in testing.  The extra with us is that we ARE running exchange 2010.  We've had considerable improvement disabling search indexes, and taking out ip6, we've had a major improvement disabling sharepoint connections, but still...... When launching Outlook on first login all works well, if I close Outlook and then re-open it it will sometimes hang on loading profile. Closing the splash screen and then re-opening Outlook will sometimes mean that it will work properly.

I've set all GPO to ensure that users are only working in online mode.

I'll try the IP address idea.  if that doesn't work I'll call MS

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:20 PM