Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install IE6 for both my main machine(Windows 10, IE11) and my VM of Windows 98(IE4). I have been searching download sites, but they were either PDFs, sketchy, or there was nothing. I also checked forums, such as Microsoft's TechNet...nothing. Can someone please provide me with a download link? It would be appreciated.

Thank you much,

A Windows 9x User(Retro Pro)

Sunday, May 21, 2017 3:55 AM

Answers

• A quick search of the internet shows that upgrading from IE4 to IE6 on Windows 98 is a multistep process requiring software that is no longer available from Microsoft.  Here is an example - https://www.windowsbbs.com/threads/ie4-upgrade-to-ie6-via-ie5-x.24422/.  Remember that downloading Microsoft software from non-Microsoft sites, besides most likely being illegal, opens the possibility of modified (malware?) software in the download.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Microsoft Windows 9x Friday, June 9, 2017 12:36 AM
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, would you please tell us the purpose of this requirement, is it because of some application incompatibleness, like Microsoft Money.

<<<install IE6 for both my main machine(Windows 10, IE11) and my VM of Windows 98(IE4). >>>

To my knowledge, you cannot install IE6 on Windows 10.

For Windows 98(IE4), you could refer to the following link:

An update rollup is available for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/889669/an-update-rollup-is-available-for-internet-explorer-6-service-pack-1

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 1:21 PM
  • For the main machine, it is just a nostalgia thing, and for the VM, whenever I try to access Google, MSN, etc, the VM comes up with a bluescreen.

And sorry for getting back to you so late...just woke up.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:04 PM
  • I tried the link, but none of the downloads are available.
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:11 PM
  • A quick search of the internet shows that upgrading from IE4 to IE6 on Windows 98 is a multistep process requiring software that is no longer available from Microsoft.  Here is an example - https://www.windowsbbs.com/threads/ie4-upgrade-to-ie6-via-ie5-x.24422/.  Remember that downloading Microsoft software from non-Microsoft sites, besides most likely being illegal, opens the possibility of modified (malware?) software in the download.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Microsoft Windows 9x Friday, June 9, 2017 12:36 AM
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Attention all: I have found a way to install IE6 on windows 10, i just forgot how, so if you are looking at this forum trying to figure out how to install IE6, this forum is currently not the best option. Sorry folks.

Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:03 PM