Why can't I force the system tray arrow to appear? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Alright, I'm a super advanced user with Windows Vista, and I have been since it was released as an RC. However, I've always had trouble with a problem coming from the system tray. The collapsible arrow just appears and disappears at random. Though it will usually reappear on its own, it seems it no longer "wants" to appear. So I tried to force it.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Right-clicking the notification area, and selecting "Hide inactive icons." Status=Failure

2. Modifying registry data at the following sub-key:
         Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
              Key: EnableAutoTray = 0x00000001 (1)
         and changing that value from 1 to 0 and vice-versa. Status=Failure

3. Force icons to show by deleting registry data at the following sub-key:
         HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
              but no keys exist at this location.
         Status=Failure

4. I tried using the Windows PowerShell (available only in Ultimate) to modify the system tray, but still to no avail. Status=Failure

5. An old trick I used to do was simply perform a system restore, and the problem would be instantly fixed. It no longer works either. Status=Failure

Computer Info:
         Dell XPS M1530
         OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Linux Sabayon 32-bit (dualboot)
         Ram: 4 GB (3.8 is recognized and usable by Windows)
         Virtual Memory: 7.17 GB
         Processor: INtel Core 2 Duo CPU T9500 operating at 2.6 GHz
         Version of Vista: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

The only way it seems to reappear is when the system tray becomes filled with more than 16 icons and the clock. How can I restore the arrow to the system tray without a complete overhaul of the entire system (ie: reinstalling Windows Vista)?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Kai Zane, it seems to me this is by design. By the way, when does this start to occur and what's the current screen resolution? What's the result if you place task bar on the right/left side of the screen?

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:34 AM