none
What are some best practices to speed up Task Sequenced application deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently rebuilt the images at the company I work for to utilize task sequences with MDT 2013 Update 1. Previously they were capturing a wim with everything preinstalled and it was around 30GB. It made it a real chore everytime we needed to do something basic like update a signature for Outlook on the image (just a terrible example).

The problem I'm having now is that the deployment time has more than doubled now that we are using task sequences. Litetouch deployment is what we use - and the Windows 10 image drops in about 12 minutes. Once we get to state restore and start hitting task sequences though its usually an extra hour for the machine to finish. The whole process before was close to 30 minutes.

No ridiculous applications - basic things like Office, Visio, a couple of legacy apps with very barebones msi files and switches. The network team shows that even though the line we deploying over is a 100meg the task sequences are only deploying between 15-18 meg. They are stating they believe the issue is related to the way Windows in general just pull down the content from the network share on the MDT server using task sequences. Is it worth trying to set up IIS and seeing if applications can pull down faster using it or is there some other glaring issue I should look at?

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:13 PM

All replies

• http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

In the above link look at the following:
    Make the image smaller by deleting setup files for already installed updates
    Make sure ALL updates are installed into the reference image

I too am stuck on 100MB connection, though my deployment server has a RAID 1 setup. You could consider SSD drives for your deployment server. I will probably do that the next time I refresh hardware. My reference image is Windows and Office, everything else (browsers, java, AV and other software/scripts) is run during deployment. Computers with an SSD typically deploy in ~40 minutes and 5400RPM drives finish in ~1:15 for me.

If you image a bunch of computers at the same time, consider using multicast. If possible arrange your task sequence to be more streamlined and with as few reboots as possible.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:13 PM
  • http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

In the above link look at the following:
    Make the image smaller by deleting setup files for already installed updates
    Make sure ALL updates are installed into the reference image

I too am stuck on 100MB connection, though my deployment server has a RAID 1 setup. You could consider SSD drives for your deployment server. I will probably do that the next time I refresh hardware. My reference image is Windows and Office, everything else (browsers, java, AV and other software/scripts) is run during deployment. Computers with an SSD typically deploy in ~40 minutes and 5400RPM drives finish in ~1:15 for me.

If you image a bunch of computers at the same time, consider using multicast. If possible arrange your task sequence to be more streamlined and with as few reboots as possible.

Thanks. We have tried SSDs. They shave off a small fraction of the time but we have 3000+ systems in the field that do not so it will be a slow-going process that will still include traditional 5400 and 7200RPM drives for awhile.

OSD actually flies as previously stated. Its the task sequences for application deployment that stinks. With office for example, I've tried slipstreaming updates into the package itself and reaching out to WSUS instead - both take an abysmal amount of time. As far as multicast is concerned, its generally 5-10 systems on a bench at a time at most.

Just wasn't sure if there was a magic switch that I hadn't heard about which might help.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:03 PM

• Usually there's nothing magical, it's just a matter of sometimes tweaking scripts, reducing the footprint of the image, only injecting drivers for the actual model being deployed (Driver Management), doing what you can to eliminate wasted minutes here and there.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Try to set the Energy Profile to High Performance during the installation.
    This may reduce installation time quite a lot.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:15 PM
  • Try to set the Energy Profile to High Performance during the installation.
    This may reduce installation time quite a lot.
    PowerCfg.exe /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:21 PM
  • I have recently rebuilt the images at the company I work for to utilize task sequences with MDT 2013 Update 1. Previously they were capturing a wim with everything preinstalled and it was around 30GB. It made it a real chore everytime we needed to do something basic like update a signature for Outlook on the image (just a terrible example).

The problem I'm having now is that the deployment time has more than doubled now that we are using task sequences. Litetouch deployment is what we use - and the Windows 10 image drops in about 12 minutes. Once we get to state restore and start hitting task sequences though its usually an extra hour for the machine to finish. The whole process before was close to 30 minutes.

No ridiculous applications - basic things like Office, Visio, a couple of legacy apps with very barebones msi files and switches. The network team shows that even though the line we deploying over is a 100meg the task sequences are only deploying between 15-18 meg. They are stating they believe the issue is related to the way Windows in general just pull down the content from the network share on the MDT server using task sequences. Is it worth trying to set up IIS and seeing if applications can pull down faster using it or is there some other glaring issue I should look at?

Did a blog post on this recently. Hope this helps! Set High Performance Power profile during Task Sequence

Cheers,
    Richie
    Consultant
    Blog: http://www.sccmog.com  LinkedIn:

Note: Posts are just here to either get an answer or help with someone with an answer. ConfigMgr FTW!

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:42 PM