none
MS Project All dates are shifted down by few rows RRS feed

• Question

• This is the first I have seen this. I have a 300+ line project schedule. I noticed all the dates were wrong after updating %completes on a handful of tasks. After much investigation, I noticed the following:

• The start and Finish dates for half the project were shifted down by 4 rows. Similar to adding cells in MS Excel and choosing "shift down". Except that MS Project doesn't have that feature AND the dates didn't match the corresponding tasks.
    • Because of this, at least 10 rows were created at the bottom of the schedule without a task or resource, but with work, duration and start and finish date.
    • A number of tasks start date were now incorrect because their predecessors were shifted and pointing to the wrong tasks or tasks that didn't exist.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any thoughts on why this happened?

Thank you

A very frustrated PM!

Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:06 PM

All replies

• PCI_VA,

Sounds to me like an inadvertent set of key presses or perhaps a stuck keyboard. The ten extra rows suggests inadvertent key presses.

You can in fact do a fill down in Project also but it would be something you'd have to purposefully enter.

Why did it happen? Impossible to say for sure. Do you have any other files where this has happened? Can you reproduce the issue on a new test file that has the same basic schedule structure?

If you can't reproduce it, you will have to either clean the file up and try updating again or start with a previous version of the file and update from there.

Hope this helps

John

Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:54 PM
  • Screenshot? Without something to look at we're having to do a lot of guessing. This is bound to be solvable if I can see it.
    Friday, January 25, 2019 1:13 AM