Window Position & Resize; MSConfig Resize? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Windows 7 improve on XP and Vista remembering window positioning and resizing or do these problems remain the same?  Do you know if IE8's positioning sticks better in W7?

Can the MSConfig window be resized?  It has never been resizeable but still has that changed any in W7?

Thanks.

~Ratsneve~
    • Edited by Ratsneve Monday, August 3, 2009 4:55 PM Clarification
    Monday, August 3, 2009 10:31 AM

Answers

• Since I'm now running Windows 7 64-bit on the same machine I've already noticed that MSConfig still cannot be resized. The only difference between then and now is that I don't care anymore.  And we are never going to know why Microsoft doesn't care.  I just want to mark this thread as 'Answered'. :)

~Ratsneve~

• Marked as answer by Ratsneve Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:50 AM
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:49 AM

All replies

• No it is not resizeable. the windows borders for msconfig utility is fixed.
    My Blog | http://windows4life.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 28, 2009 2:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ratsneve Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:41 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Thanks re the MSConfig.  What have you and others noticed concerning system windows and the IE8 window that you can resize and position.  Are they sticking where you configure them to or do they revert to some default for unknown reason(s)?  Thanks again.

~Ratsneve~
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:01 PM
  • when you open a window and then resize or change it position, the windows stores its position and size temporarily. so when you open it again, you'll find it at the same position as where you closed it.
    to change windows position, just run a disk clean and clear the cache.....they stop sticking where you configure them...
    My Blog | http://windows4life.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 28, 2009 2:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ratsneve Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:41 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:29 PM
  • My thought was that whenever I use MSConfig's Start tab I need to try to spread out some of the columns so I can see enough info--almost every time.  I don't use MSConfig that often.  Is there a good reason to understand why a resizable window type was not used?

And on window position and size being saved.  I thought this was a permanent feature that would stick until you changed it or did whatever to restore a windows position and size to its defaults?  It has always been very vague all the way back through the years why a window position and size that was set different would work well for a period of time and then jump to somewhere else on the desktop for no apparent reason and need to be reset or resized.  The answer I've read has always been that the space available to store window position and size data gets filled up and the earliest data gets dumped.

I think one misunderstanding though is that a program such as IE8 takes care of its own positioning and sizing and that problems I might have with IE8 remembering its position is not a Vista 64-bit/Windows 7 problem?  I will take up the issue of IE8's position not sticking where I set it with IE8.  Thank you.

~Ratsneve~
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:24 PM
  • This site discusses the MSCONFIG resizing problem:
      http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=342102&forumid=1

Download the zipped utility that can be invoked to resize the msconfig window when needed from here:
      http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/downloads/ResizeEnable.zip

Installation/Usage:
     1) Download the archive into a directory: C:\Program Files\ResizeEnable
     2) Unzip it into the same directory: C:\Program Files\ResizeEnable
     3) Read the program information: ResizeEnable.txt
     4) To invoke the program, doubleclick on: ResizeEnableRunner.exe
     5) A small resize window icon appears in the system tray to indicate the program's presence.
     6) A right-click on the icon gives 2 choices: About or Quit

Bugs:
      While resizing my EditPadLite window, a small window title bar popped up and would not go away until I quit ResizeEnableRunner AND EditPadLite.  My already opened and resized MSCONFIG window stayed at the size I had resized it to until I closed it, and then it reopened at its normal, too-small size.

Conclusions:
      Although not perfect, I plan to keep the ResizeEnableRunner handy (I have created a desktop shortcut for it) so I can launch it prior to running MSCONFIG when I need to do extensive work.  At this time, MSCONFIG is the only program that I know I want to use the Resizer for since it is such a pain in the ____ to be able to expand and view all of the columns in order to see the information provided by MSCONFIG.  When I clean out the crapware on new PCs for people, I'm into MSCONFIG a lot, and it is necessary to be able to view the information provided by each column, EASILY!

Comments to Microsoft:

I refuse to accept this statement:
        "No it is not resizeable. the windows borders for msconfig utility is fixed."

NOTHING is set in concrete - that's why we call it SOFTWARE!

Obviously, if some programmer with initiative took it upon himself to create this resizing program, Microsoft, with all of their resources, could come up with a fix to be able to resize the MSCONFIG window.  After all, who today has a 640x480 screen anymore?

I rest my case . . .

Retired Dinosaur Assembly Language Programmer/System Analyst/Control Engineer. I was a consultant using QNX as an operating system (mainly as a text editor/dumb terminal to interface with Honeywell 6/43 minicomputers that were used to control paper machines and other industrial processes). I was programming these 19" rack mount monsters from 1977 to 2002 in assembly language using a DX4-100 PC with 16MB of ram and dual boot (QNX/WFW3.11). I still sometimes fire up this box in WFW311 and connect through our home network to our XP Pro PC's. (Our home is a Vista-Free Zone).
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Wow!  I spent some time trying to get this ResizeEnable hack to work but it won't work in my Vista Ultimate 64-bit system.  It runs as described but has no effect prducing any window resize for MSConfig.  It sounded to good to be true.  Any ideas?
    ~Ratsneve~
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Since I'm now running Windows 7 64-bit on the same machine I've already noticed that MSConfig still cannot be resized. The only difference between then and now is that I don't care anymore.  And we are never going to know why Microsoft doesn't care.  I just want to mark this thread as 'Answered'. :)

~Ratsneve~

• Marked as answer by Ratsneve Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:50 AM
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:49 AM
  • I know that this is an old thread but it is a question that I am asked quite frequently.

Simple answer: Use CCLEANER or WinPatrol.  As many of you may have noticed, the items located in the Start Up tab build up over time and can be rather annoying.  The beauty of these two utilities, is that you can disable the item(s) listed in Start Up, PLUS you can actually delete the entry entirely from the list.  CCLEANER is my preferred choice in this matter.

Thanks

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

• Proposed as answer by sspazz34 Monday, June 28, 2010 4:17 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 4:15 AM
  • can u be more specific?  there are MANY settings within CCLEANER that are NOT selected by default?  I find Windows not keeping the windows size the way u have selected it very irritating and frustrating.

-another spaz!

Monday, December 27, 2010 8:41 PM
  • I just saw your thread and installed it on a Windows Vista 32-Bit system and it worked fine.  ResizeEnable may not be 64-Bit compatible.  I'll keep this wrench in my toolbox.
    Retired Dinosaur Assembly Language Programmer/System Analyst/Control Engineer. I was a consultant using QNX as an operating system (mainly as a text editor/dumb terminal to interface with Honeywell 6/43 minicomputers that were used to control paper machines and other industrial processes). I was programming these 19" rack mount monsters from 1977 to 2002 in assembly language using a DX4-100 PC with 16MB of ram and dual boot (QNX/WFW3.11). I still sometimes fire up this box in WFW311 and connect through our home network to our XP Pro PC's. (Our home is a Vista-Free Zone).
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:49 PM
  • MSConfig.exe's window, specifically, is not resizeable.

Are you perhaps instead talking about the Microsoft Management Console snap-ins (e.g., the window you get when you hit Start, right-click on Computer, and choose Manage)?

If so, mmc has to be put into "Author Mode" in order to save a new .msc snap-in - for example one that's had its size changed.  There's a command line switch for this as I recall.

To complicate matters a bit, the default system snap-ins are protected, and if you overwrite them they will be restored to their defaults shortly thereafter by the system protection mechanism.

This doesn't prevent you from opening a system snap-in (e.g., compmgt.msc) with mmc using Author Mode, saving your own copy in another place, then invoking that when you want to run mmc with your updated snap-in.

-Noel

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:36 AM
  • Regarding a utility to help you know and manage what's starting on your system, I strongly recommend the free package Autoruns.

Get it here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

My recommendation is to stay away from 3rd party "magic cleaner" programs!  How can you trust that software to "clean up" your system?  That's overly simplistic; they simply can't know what you want and don't want running!

-Noel

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:40 AM
  • MSConfig.exe's window, specifically, is resizeable.  See this 1280 x 800 screen print that I took on my laptop with Msconfig's window resized:

http://myweb.cableone.net/dgbube/Resized_MSCONFIG.jpg

If your monitor size is not large enough, use the IE zoom feature to bump up the resolution.

As far as registry cleaners go - I will never use them.  About the only cleaning you will ever get is an enema . . .

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:10 AM
  • We're both right:

• Without adding anything to Windows, msconfig.exe brings up a window that is not resizable.
    • With the mysterious ResizeEnable tool you propose, apparently the dialog size is altered.

However, I would no more trust ResizeEnable than I would CCleaner.  I don't know what's in it.  Where's the source code?  Download a zip file from some site and run the enclosed executable with full privileges?  You've got to be kidding.

ResizeEnable even describes itself as "a very ugly system hack".  No thanks.

Please understand I'm not criticizing you nor claiming you're trying to push something bad on people.

But it's a moot point anyway.  Autoruns is a FAR better tool and comes from a reputable, known source.

-Noel

P.S., I have a year more experience with computers than you do, believe it or not.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:58 PM