none
Office 2016 ADMX on Windows 2008

Question

• I downloaded the Office 2016 ADMX files from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49030 and try to run it on SBS 2008 (Windows 2008). When I try to run the exe I get an error "C:\Temp\admintemplates_x64_4468-1000_en-us.exe is not a valid Win32 application." (same error when running the x64 or x86 exe - the only difference is the filename)

I thought about file corruption but the file works on windows newer than 2008 and also have tried downloading on a few machines and then running the downloaded exe on the 2008. Nothing works.

Am I missing something? The system requirements for the files says Windows 2008 is supported (as well as vista)

Dani Avni

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Dani,
    Have you tested on another windows server 2008 to see if the same error is returned? It will help us to check if the problem is only happening on this specific server or not.
    Generally, the error could happen due to:
    File download
    IDE Controller badly configured
    Support CD / DVD unreadable
    File system corrupted
    File unregistered
    Virus / spyware
    Problem with browser configuration
    You could follow the article as below to check further: http://ccm.net/faq/1591-exe-is-not-a-valid-win32-application
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi Wendy

I installed a fresh windows 2008 with SP2 out of MSDN and downloaded the x86 and x64 installations again and still I get the same result. Both executables display the same error message

Dani Avni

Friday, May 05, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Hi Dani,
    If you are installing the admx files on windows sever 2008 SP2 machine, I doubt that it could be working, as you can see the system requirement for office 2016 admx files as below which doesn’t include windows sever 2008 SP2:

Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 08, 2017 3:34 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer. The system requirements also does not list Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 or for that matter any other platform SP. if the installation requires a minimum of Windows 2008 surely it should work on 2008 with SP2 which is just a service pack fix.

Dani Avni

Monday, May 08, 2017 4:42 AM
  • Hi Dani,
    Actually, I agree with you, however, the symptom of the problem is so strange for me, I will take a test on my in lab and you will be updated with any result. 
    In addition, please make sure that the server is fully patched with windows updates, not sure if the server is lack of some updates which might cause the problem.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi Dani,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,

Wendy

Friday, May 19, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Wendy,

On the last post from May 10th you said you will be checking this on your lab. Did you check this?

I have no solution on my side

Dani Avni

Friday, May 19, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Wendy,

Not that I'm questioning you but are you sure you tested it on 2008 and not 2008R2 ? The reason I'm asking is that I wrote to you I have seen this happen both on my SBS 2008 machine and a fresh 2008 installed from MSDN. I also saw this working on 2008R2 so I just want to make sure.

Dani Avni

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Hi Dani,
    Sorry for confusing you, yes, my test machine is the windows server 2008 r2, after my testing on the windows server 2008 SP2 again, finally, same error is produced:

In this case, I would suggest you open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information from product team regarding this problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    And we will also report it to the related team and keep our eyes on the case.
    Thank you for the understanding. 
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:47 AM