none
Camera Sharing between apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an application which uses Camera to take pictures. It has two ways to do this one trigger the inbuilt Windows Camera App (using CamerCaptureUI from UWP API) and the other it uses the Media Capture from UWP API. We are using the CameraCaptureUI to make use of its Crop functionality, but there are complains on this functionality we had to retain the Media Capture method too.

In the last few months Users are complaining that after they use Camera App through Camera Capture UI, they are not able to use the in built Media Capture. Browsing online came up some articles mentioning that Windows 10 does not allow two apps access the Camera at the same time. It kind of proves the issue too as the Windows 10 Camera App was running in the Background even after closing it. If I turn off the background process for it takes a few seconds to close down. If we try to access the Media Capture way we are still facing the issue.

1. Is there any way I can enable the camera sharing between the apps. Preferably a programmable method, if not I will be happy with Windows Privacy setting. I understand the issue of sharing camera between apps. For now I am looking for temporary solution.

2. Best way to implement the Image Capture using the windows camera. We use .net 4.0 & WPF. We need to implement the Crop functionality too.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sarath

Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:56 AM

All replies

• This is possible.

As: "Mike M - Windows Camera Team" in this post states:

One of the main reasons that Windows is decoding MJPEG for your applications is because of performance. With the Anniversary Update to Windows 10, it is now possible for multiple applications to access the camera in ways that weren’t possible before. It was important for us to enable concurrent camera access, so Windows Hello, Microsoft Hololens and other products and features could reliably assume that the camera would be available at any given time, regardless of what other applications may be accessing it.

So without knowing, Windows 10 allows other processes to use the cam in background.

Windows 10 camera and privacy
    https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-camera-and-privacy

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, July 12, 2019 11:48 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 4:53 PM