Lync 2013 Enterprise Voice Business Benefit RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Expert,

I read the Enterprise Voice in Lync Server 2013, but I need more information for business benefit.

1. What's the benefit for user or customer to use Enterprise, who should use Enterprise Voice?

2. What's the cool feature in Enterprise Voice?

3. What's different Enterprise Voice and Legacy PBX, IP-PBX and others?

Thank you

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1.) Enterprise voice will be levereaged by users who need advanced call handling features and the ability to place and recieve calls to the the PSTN. Your users needs will dictate whether or not they need to be an enterprise voice user - take these needs and cross reference them against the feature set (in point 2) that enterprise voice offers you, and decide if this is the case.

2.) Enterprise voice feature set is vast and very granular in terms of configuration. Lync does not offer a HUGE amount in terms of additional enterprise voice features when compared to another GOOD IP PBX, but the level at which you can configure and control these features is far superior (in my opinion).

Such features include;

Voice Mail (providing you have the correct infrastructure)
    Call forwarding
    Call Transfers
    Delegation
    Team Call Groups
    Response Groups (Hunt Groups)
    Call Park
    Private Lines
    SIP Trunking
    Emergency Services (for our North American cousins where its useful =))
    Voice resiliency
    Accomodation for analogue devices
    Common Area Phones
    Caller ID Manipulation
    Call Routing Translation

The list goes on...

3.) Depends on what your legacy PBX is, but I always have the confidence to say that "Lync will NEVER be unable to fulfill a need that an alternate solution would" - atleast from a major functional perspective.

This is a slightly biased view as I believe Lync (2013 in particular) is the be all and end all of UC platforms =)

• Edited by Ben Donaldson Friday, November 15, 2013 11:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, November 18, 2013 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:13 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Microsoft Lync is a powerful replacement for PBX/VOIP systems.

If you have an existing voice infrastructure that uses a private branch exchange (PBX), you can use your PBX with Lync Server Enterprise Voice.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.) Enterprise voice will be levereaged by users who need advanced call handling features and the ability to place and recieve calls to the the PSTN. Your users needs will dictate whether or not they need to be an enterprise voice user - take these needs and cross reference them against the feature set (in point 2) that enterprise voice offers you, and decide if this is the case.

2.) Enterprise voice feature set is vast and very granular in terms of configuration. Lync does not offer a HUGE amount in terms of additional enterprise voice features when compared to another GOOD IP PBX, but the level at which you can configure and control these features is far superior (in my opinion).

Such features include;

Voice Mail (providing you have the correct infrastructure)
    Call forwarding
    Call Transfers
    Delegation
    Team Call Groups
    Response Groups (Hunt Groups)
    Call Park
    Private Lines
    SIP Trunking
    Emergency Services (for our North American cousins where its useful =))
    Voice resiliency
    Accomodation for analogue devices
    Common Area Phones
    Caller ID Manipulation
    Call Routing Translation

The list goes on...

3.) Depends on what your legacy PBX is, but I always have the confidence to say that "Lync will NEVER be unable to fulfill a need that an alternate solution would" - atleast from a major functional perspective.

This is a slightly biased view as I believe Lync (2013 in particular) is the be all and end all of UC platforms =)

• Edited by Ben Donaldson Friday, November 15, 2013 11:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, November 18, 2013 9:08 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Microsoft Lync is a powerful replacement for PBX/VOIP systems.

If you have an existing voice infrastructure that uses a private branch exchange (PBX), you can use your PBX with Lync Server Enterprise Voice.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:08 AM