none
Windows 10 on mixed environment

Question

• I was presented with a Windows 10 computer to put on our network as a user station.  We are using AD, & we have roaming profiles.  The computer is running Windows 10 build 15063.138.  Our profiles are stored on a visualized Windows 2008 R2 Std server.  I have no idea where to even start to get the roaming profiles to sync.  Is it even possible to get .V6 and .V2 to cooperate?  This is the experimental machine to see if we can even do this, and my profile is the guinea pig. HELP!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of hand guns and tequila." Mitch Ratliffe

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Roaming user profiles in Windows 10 is incompatible with roaming user profiles in earlier versions of Windows.

When join this Windows 10 computer to domain and then login the Windows 10 using your domain user account that already an existing Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 profile,  a "v6" version of the profile is created.

Of course, any changes you do on Windows 10 only could be save to .v6 profile bot in .v2 profile.

Thus it cannot sync between previous version of Windows. This is by design.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:55 AM
  • yes, I knew as much as the .V6, but I was hoping my documents would at least navigate over. Nothing is navigating to my .V6.  I even copy and pasted .V2 docs into my .V6 docs (that in theory should not change, as they have Office file extensions), but NOTHING is sticking. Any suggestions how to get my user files to become available via .V6?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history -- with the possible exceptions of hand guns and tequila." Mitch Ratliffe

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:19 PM
  • If you use folder redirection for your Documents folder, that setting will apply regardless of Windows version. i.e. you'll see the same Documents folder wherever you are.

If you set this without copying your documents to the redirected location first, you'll get an empty documents folder and have to navigate manually to %userprofile%\documents to copy them out to the redirected location. Or you can copy them in advance.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Roaming profiles are not supported with Windows 10.

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

• Edited by yannara Friday, April 28, 2017 4:05 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Roaming profiles are not supported with Windows 10.

Not true -they remaing supported currently as per docs here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649079(v=ws.11).aspx

That includes updates on roaming profile support within 1703.

It's fair to say that MS have made various indications that roaming profile support will go away at some point, and it may be worth planning how you might operate without them. But we have not reached the point yet where they're no longer an option. As far as I can tell, roaming profiles remain a supported configuration as far as official MS docs and GPOs are concerned.

If you have use cases for which roaming profiles work, but their proposed replacements do not, then sticking with them in the short-medium term is a perfectly valid thing to do.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:02 AM