none
Task Sequence cannot continue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am stuck in a issue, 

I want to retain existing partition on the disk (where my data is stored, drive letter D, volume name mydata). In order to perform the same in MDT2010, I was using diskpart statement.

After validate section in New Computer only, I have added command line 

diskpart.exe /s %SCRIPTROOT%\DiskpartkeepPartitions.txt, and condition for this command line to run was a wmi query 

If all condition are true

root\cimv2
    select * from win32_logicalDisk Where VolumeName Like "%mydata%"

Diskpart script is: (considering the above scenario, it just selects the first partition, i.e. C and formats it)

Select DISK 0
    Select Partition 1
    Format FS=NTFS LABEL='CDrive' QUICK
    ACTIVE

This was running fine till my deployment was done through MDT2010, and I was able to retain my existing partition.

Now I have Installed MDT 2013, but this does not work anymore, and when the OS is installed, and system login for the first time it throws message "Unable to find SMS task sequence. The deployment will not proceed further "

When I remove my command line steps and use the "Format and Partition Disk". Deployment goes fine, but I lose my "myData" partition. As I cannot specify to retain my existing partition. in above steps.

Could you please help me? or is this a bug in MDT2013 tool?

I can see a reference of known error in MDT2013 documentation stating below, but I dont think it relates to my command line?

"

The task sequence may fail with separate System or Active partitions

Windows will not assign a drive letter to the System or Active partition if that drive is different from the drive on which the operating system is located. If the largest partition is also the System or Active partition, the task sequence may fail to resume in the new operating system.exit

WORKAROUND: Ensure that the System or Active partition is not bigger than the operating system partition if using multiple partitions."

Modassir Khan

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:58 AM

Answers

• Adding a Blank Format and Partition TS with continue on error, following, my custom diskpart script, with same wmi query did the trick and now I can retain my storage partition.

f all condition are true

root\cimv2

Modassir Khan

• Marked as answer by Modassir Khan Friday, December 18, 2015 1:11 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 1:10 PM

All replies

• The known issue you referenced is unrelated to this.  If you can post your BDD.log to something like OneDrive and share the link here then someone might be able to help.

P.S.  There is no team ;)

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:29 PM
  • Please find attached BDD 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D95B50F2576BB253!117&authkey=!AKg0aQCbbdpAYCU&ithint=file%2clog

** I am using a sysprepped image for the deployment. but when done using the above diskpart script it throws the error and could not find tsmbootstap.exe and fails with error Unable to find SMS task sequencer.

However, when Diskpart is given with clean command it goes fine, but I loose mydata (D drive)  partition.

Modassir Khan

Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:54 AM
  • There are changes to the way diskpart was done in this release.  I don't think this is a bug you are seeing.  I think anything you had working before like that was unsupported.  What is supported is USMT capture.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:02 PM
  • Adding a Blank Format and Partition TS with continue on error, following, my custom diskpart script, with same wmi query did the trick and now I can retain my storage partition.

f all condition are true

root\cimv2

Modassir Khan

• Marked as answer by Modassir Khan Friday, December 18, 2015 1:11 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 1:10 PM