none
Windows Server 2016 unable to check WSUS for updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have fresh install of Windows Server 2016 with kb3216755 update applied. I have a GPO pointing to the WSUS Server on the same machine and getting this error from Windows Update:-

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024401c)"

The machine reported to WSUS once before WSUS had synchronised with Microsoft Update, then no more after that.

Help please.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:53 AM

Answers

• I resolved my issue by increasing the memory available to WSUS Application pool to 'Unlimited'. Seems it needs at least 2.5Gb. (Recycling Private Memory Usage to 0)
    • Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gary Burnett Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi

i have been working on this issue last 2 days non stop.

install kb3216755 (for W10) on your Windows 2016 wsus server, and as magic clients can download again!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:17 PM
  • I resolved my issue by increasing the memory available to WSUS Application pool to 'Unlimited'. Seems it needs at least 2.5Gb. (Recycling Private Memory Usage to 0)
    • Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gary Burnett Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the resolution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:10 AM
  • How do you get an update for Win 10 to install on your server 2016?  All I get is "This update is not applicable to your computer."

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:30 PM
  •  Same issue. I have wsus installed on WIndows server 2012 R2. All WIndows server 2016 do not report to my WSUS server. kb3216755 -It's dedicated only for Windows 10. So still no valid solution for this problem. 
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:05 PM
  • This is what I did to get my 2016 server to report to WSUS:

I got mine working after running these commands:

In a admin Commandline:

net stop wuauserv rd /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution net start wuauserv wuauclt /resetauthorization (wait 5 Minutes) wuauclt /detectnow (wait 5 Minutes) wuauclt /reportnow (wait 5 Minutes)

It still does not *display* as Windows 2016. In the console at my workstation it displays as Server 2008. The console on the WSUS server displays as Windows(Version 10)

I'm mostly concerned that the 2106 server is now reporting and receiving updates.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Setting the AppPool Memory to unlimited did it for me. This post is old but is still relevant.

For some reason as of 4/7/18 my Windows 2016 Full Servers stopped reporting to WSUS after well over a year. (One of them being the WSUS server itself!) The 2016 ServerCore machines continued to report. I'm not sure why only that OS (2016 Full) was affected, but removing the limit on the WSUS AppPool seems to have solved the issue for me as well.

The symptoms were that the WSUS Server showed contact from the clients, but no reporting. The clients themselves threw errors during a search for updates.

Seems odd, but thanks for the solution!

• Edited by CFS3rd Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:56 PM Clarified which proposed solution worked for me.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:29 AM
  • That this a trick for me as well.

Thank you

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:17 PM