Delete duplicate emails RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a quick way to delete duplicate emails in my Inbox?
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi ChickLeg,

Based on my knowledge, Outlook does not have a built-in feature to remove duplicate emails. A workaround I can think of is that we may try the following steps to delete duplicates manually by sorting:

1. In the Mail view, click Inbox.
    2. Turn off the reading pane via View > Reading Pane > Off.
    3. Click View > View Settings > Sort.
    4. In the Sort dialog box, select the items like Subject, Received, etc. according to your situation. Click OK, OK to apply the settings:

5. Go ahead to click the From column header to group all emails by senders:

6. Holding the Ctrl key, manually select duplicate emails one by one; and then press the Delete key to remove them.

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi ChickLeg,

You may also refer to the link below which discusses a similar query and check if the information there is useful:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a1ff52de-f7aa-4f7d-9308-5bb3502a27d3/delete-duplicate-emails-in-outlook-2010?forum=outlook

Additionally, I know that there are various third-party methods to delete duplicate mails, but for legal reasons, we cannot recommend or endorse any one of the third party tools. You use such third-party products and services at your own risk, so please make sure to choose one with a good reputation.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Hi ChickLeg,

How's everything going with this issue? Are the replies above helpful?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Monday, June 5, 2017 3:26 AM
  • How did the messages get duplicated? If they were downloaded or copied at a later date, you can add the Modified date field to view and sort on it. Everything that was duplicated at the same time will have nearly identical modified dates. Otherwise, its generally faster to use a utility - and there are tons of them to choose from.  I have a list at duplicate remover tools, including one or two free ones. 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Monday, June 5, 2017 3:57 AM