Migrating collections fails - The rule may be based on a Hardware Inventory class not collected at the destination RRS feed

• Question

• We have a signifcant number of collections that are based on the description of the computer.  The attribute is on the System Resource class and appears that it comes from Active Directory System Discovery (Added in 2007/2012 via AD System Discovery Properties/Active Directory attribute/Specify an Active Directory attribute name to discover).

We are trying to migrate our 2007 collections to 2012 via a Collection Migration job.  All of our collections based on this description attribute fail with "The rule may be based on a Hardware Inventory class not collected at the destination.  The collections aren't mixed and are a single simple query like:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.description like "ESDC-206-LAB-0%"

Collections that don't have the description attribute as part of the query seem to be fine as they migrated without error.

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:08 AM

Answers

• select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.description like "ESDC-206-LAB-0%"

Have you already tried creating a collection using this WQL statement on the CM12 site manually? Will it be populated?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by RonFowler Friday, May 25, 2012 7:47 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 6:53 AM

All replies

• select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.description like "ESDC-206-LAB-0%"

Have you already tried creating a collection using this WQL statement on the CM12 site manually? Will it be populated?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by RonFowler Friday, May 25, 2012 7:47 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Thanks Torsten, I wasn't able to create a collection with that statement until I enabled AD discovery on the test site.  After I had a device in the SCCM 2012 that had been discovered I was able to continue the migration task without error.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 7:50 PM