none
Error 0x80004005 trying to register vb6idemousewheeladdin.dll on Win 7 ultimate 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore mouse wheel functions into the VB6 IDE.

The microsoft-supplied dll will not register giving the error code 0x80004005.

This is supposed to be a previledge-related error.

UAC is off. Command prompt runs with administrator previledges.

Anybody know how to get around this?

Thanks

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:06 PM

Answers

• Since the Visual Basic 6 is out of support now, I recommend you upgrade the software, it could resolve the problems. If you have any other windows questions, we are glad to provide any help.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:16 AM
  • I suggest you also ask this question in MSDN forum, since we couldn’t provide more information here, you can get some help in that forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

I recommend you do the following:

1. Run CMD.exe as administrator

2. Browse to SysWow64 folder

3. Use normal REGSVR32 command for registering the VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll

4. Go to Add-in manager in VB6 IDE & add Mouse Wheel in normal way.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, October 8, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, Miya.

Regrettably it did not work. I received the same error.

M Whipps
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:17 PM
  • The above issue occurs when you try to use a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to connect to the Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 Web site.
    To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
    * Use a host name, such as: http://projsvr2003/ProjectServer to connect to the Project Server Web site.
    * Use the WinHTTP Default Proxy Configuration Tool to add the FQDN to the Bypass List.

To add the FQDN to the Bypass List, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Type the following command line, and then press ENTER:
    Proxycfg -d -p * "<local>;servername of WSS;FQDN of WSS;ipaddress of WSS"
    3. At the command prompt, type iisreset and then press ENTER. The iisreset command stops and then restarts Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS).
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837910 , follow the methods  there to see if it works.

Regards,

Miya

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:29 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks but I have already tried that. The VB project won't load because it is missing "connect.dsr".

M Whipps
    Monday, October 11, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Thanks for answering, Kristain.

I'm not using Project Server.

M Whipps
    Monday, October 11, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Since the Visual Basic 6 is out of support now, I recommend you upgrade the software, it could resolve the problems. If you have any other windows questions, we are glad to provide any help.

Regards,

Miya

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Really?!?

Suggesting that a developer change his environment because a mouse won't scroll is like telling him to cut off his foot because he has poo on his shoe.

It is common knowlege that the VB6 to .NET conversion routines simply don't work for any but the most trivial of solutions.

Thanks anyway.

M Whipps
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:50 PM
  • I suggest you also ask this question in MSDN forum, since we couldn’t provide more information here, you can get some help in that forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Miya

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Hi.

The difference for Win 7 is that you need to copy the file to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98

The rest of the process is the same...

Regards,

Nelson - from Brazil.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Thanks Nelson.

That didn't work either. Same error code.

M Whipps
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:49 PM
  • This worked for me:

Copy VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll to C:\

Run Command Prompt at administrator (right click on Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator option)

Run C:\Windows\System32\RegSvr32.exe C:\VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll

Open VB6 Open Add In Manager and select MouseFix from list

Check Loaded\Unloaded Box and Load on Startup Box You Mouse Wheel should now work! :-)

NOTE: I was not able to get this to work with VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll in any other directory but root!

NOTE to MS staff: There is still a LOT of legacy VB6 code out there that companies hav not migrated to .NET. Telling us to not use VB6 or other VS6 development tools in newer Operation Systems is just pissing off your previously loyal developer community. Please remember how you got so big to begin with!

thanks,

Steve

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:22 PM
  • This worked for me:

Copy VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll to C:\

Run Command Prompt at administrator (right click on Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator option)

Run C:\Windows\System32\RegSvr32.exe C:\VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll

Open VB6 Open Add In Manager and select MouseFix from list

Check Loaded\Unloaded Box and Load on Startup Box You Mouse Wheel should now work! :-)

NOTE: I was not able to get this to work with VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll in any other directory but root!

NOTE to MS staff: There is still a LOT of legacy VB6 code out there that companies hav not migrated to .NET. Telling us to not use VB6 or other VS6 development tools in newer Operation Systems is just pissing off your previously loyal developer community. Please remember how you got so big to begin with!

thanks,

Steve

Thank you Steve.

That didn't work either, I'm afraid. I still get the same error code.

I really must agree with your comments about VB6. I have over a half-million lines of code in production currently and there's no way I am prepared to rewrite it all, or to pay a conversion company $20,000 or so to have them attempt to convert it.

And that's not even taking into account the .NET hell you get involved in.

I don't really understand why MS wants to just throw us to the dogs. I do see and value what .NET exposes but the paradym shift from procedural to object - oriented code which may be worthwhile for C, and C++ coders is a huge PITA for my team.

Plus, the keyboarding load is ridiculous!

Murray

M Whipps
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:39 PM
  • I think I fixed it!

I had it installed and working (that Windows 7 installation is about 1 year old), and in the process of cleaning things up, I mistakenly deleted the directory where the dll was, and I was not able to reinstall the dll with the same error reported above in the original post.

I tried all the suggestions listed here (except upgrading to .NET... that was silly) and I could not copy the file anywhere else (not in C:\, not in system32, not in Program Files).

It looked like a permission issue, I could not copy the file, or run regsvr32 with the necessary permissions (even though I am logged with an admin account.)

Finally, I created a batch file with the regsvr32 command (with the dll where it was originally, in the Downloads folder), and I executed the batch file as administrator by right-clicking on it from Explorer.

C:\Windows\System32\RegSvr32.exe "C:\users\xxxxx\downloads\VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll"

That did it...

• Proposed as answer by Triscopic Monday, January 23, 2012 10:22 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Like many our company still has huge amounts of unconverted VB6 code.

I was trying to reinstall VB6 on win 7, and couldn't get the mouse wheel fix to work... anyway long story short KO4BB has the right answer (and I felt like a fool when I read it)

Just open the command prompt as an administrator, then run regsvr32 <path_to_dll> from that.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:26 AM
  • I realise this is a somewhat old post but, this answer is in no way helpful to those of us who are stuck using VBA.
    Friday, October 4, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

I thought I had posted already but I must have been thinking of another situation.

A guy called Joe Bott wrote a fix that I came across after giving up on getting any help here. I am using it on Win 7 32 and 64 bit systems and it works like a charm.

Only thing is you'll have to set it up to load automatically yourself.

This is the link

http://www.joebott.com/vb6scrollwheel.htm

I tried to thank Joe by email but got no reply. Thanks again, Joe!

Murray

M Whipps

Friday, October 4, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Suggesting that a developer change his environment because a mouse won't scroll is like telling him to cut off his foot because he has poo on his shoe.

Made me laugh out so loud, my wife got annoyed XD

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:45 PM
  • It looked like a permission issue, I could not copy the file, or run regsvr32 with the necessary permissions (even though I am logged with an admin account.)

i got the same error, making a .bat file with notepad made it possible to appear in addin manager thanks alot for this thread

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Glad you liked it.

I am always surprised when people suggest upgrading to the newest, latest, greatest etc.

Don't they realize that ordinary people need to deal with bosses, budgets, time constraints, learning curves, testing and performance goals?

Microsoft simply threw VB6 developers under the train.

Murray

M Whipps

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Just in case anyone still uses VB6 in today's world; by running CMD.exe as ADMINISTRATOR did work for me on Windows 7.  Browse to the folder where the VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll is located then register using the command prompt.  

Be sure to run the .REG file as well.

-Don

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Try this, download file at this link: http://www.e-systems.ro/register_dll_tool.htm

this work fine for me.

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Thanks Yosa.

Cool dog BTW.

Murray

M Whipps

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:53 PM
  • This method worked for me in my Windows 10 Enterprise machine.

Thanks Steve.

Franklin

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:27 AM