none
Library Sharing issue with tapes of a server removed from library sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I have three DPM 2012 servers in a library sharing setup (DPM1, DPM2 and DPM3). One server had to be moved into a different domain. So I removed this server from the library sharing setup (DPM3). I configured my tape library to present a new partition to  DPM3 with new tapes. The old tapes still show up on DPM1 and DPM2 but not as "imported" tapes but as "belongs to a DPM server sharing this library". The nasty part is, that DPM1 and DPM2 both think that the tapes belong to another DPM server. So I'm unable to erase the tapes on either DPM1 and DPM2 to later give them to DPM3. How do I fix this? I have thought about removing library sharing between DPM1 and DPM2 in hope of that all tapes then show up as imported, then recatalog them all and erase the ones which belonged to DPM3. But this is a path I don't want to go...

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• The issue is fixed. I could talk to the DPM Devs today about this issue and what you need to do is disable library sharing alltogether, i.e. on all DPM servers taking part in library sharing, not only on the server you want to remove the library sharing on and the arbitration master. So I have removed library sharing on the remaining two DPM servers DPM1 and DPM2 and enabled it again. And this time the tapes which formerly belonged to DPM3 now show up as "imported". Now I can move them in an orderly fashion from the old library to the new library.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• The issue is fixed. I could talk to the DPM Devs today about this issue and what you need to do is disable library sharing alltogether, i.e. on all DPM servers taking part in library sharing, not only on the server you want to remove the library sharing on and the arbitration master. So I have removed library sharing on the remaining two DPM servers DPM1 and DPM2 and enabled it again. And this time the tapes which formerly belonged to DPM3 now show up as "imported". Now I can move them in an orderly fashion from the old library to the new library.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi Marcus,

There was no need to undo library sharing for the other 2 DPM servers. Since you made a new dedicated library for DPM3, all you had to do was move the tapes out of the shared library and into the new library for DPM3.   DPM1 and DPM2 would see the slots as free and any new tapes would be usable by them.  DPM3 knows about it's own tapes, so moving the tapes to that new library should show up fine.

I think you overcomplicated matters by thinking that the library slots were reserved by DPM3 when in fact, it was just the tapes themselves.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I know that this is possible, but I like to clean up when moving things around. I had my fair share of trouble with DPM databases growing and growing (at some point I had a DB which was 200GB+). And I'm not happy that you cannot really clean up old and defunct tapes/library/drives from the database. And I figure that a couple hundred tapes will use a large amount of space in the DB. That's why I want to erase the tapes before moveing them to the new library partition.

If I would have done what you suggested I don't think that DPM3 would recognizes the tapes since I had to move the DPM server into a new domain. And my experience with this is that DPM stops working right away. It even seems to stop working if you change the FQDN. If tried all that with earlier versions of DPM (I'm using DPM since DPM 2007 and gone through all the TAP programs with my machines so far).

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:21 PM