none
Project Professional 2016 - Headers and footers not showing up in print preview and on printed document RRS feed

• Question

• I work from two different computers, one running Windows 10 and the other, Windows 8. Both have Project Professional 2016. When I go to print/page setup, I can see all of the header and footer information that I have used on new and recent projects I open, but on the print preview of the schedule (in this case, a Gantt chart), the header and footer information is missing. Furthermore, when I print or save this schedule, it's missing on the saved file, too. 

Stuff I've done to try to solve this, so far:

• I have removed all graphics from the header. 
    • Checked for program updates. 
    • Restarted computer. 
    • Tried opening older schedules I have saved, to see if the problem exists on older files (it does). 
    • Tried increasing margin sizes (no effect).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:03 PM

Answers

• I HAVE A WORK-AROUND FOR THIS ISSUE, BUT STILL WORKING ON A RESOLUTION.   

This being said, I will preface by adding: I believe this is a Microsoft Project issue. 

Since I last posted, I went through the following steps: 

• Checked all settings, to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. There are no additional settings relating to headers and footers, so I was pretty sure this was a software issue. So... 
    • I uninstalled Project Professional 2016 and reinstalled it. Same problem: No headers and footers. So...
    • I uninstalled Project Project and Office Professional 2016, reinstalled Office, then reinstalled Project. I made sure that I downloaded and ran the 64 bit version of both the Office Suite and Project.  Same issue: No headers and footers. Since I was now quite sure this was not due to file corruption of any of Microsoft's programs, I knew it must be relating to either 1) Global settings, or 2) The headers and footers in my existing files. So...
    • I turned-off one of my computers (to make sure one was not affecting the other), logged-off of my microsoft account, and opened one of my existing files. ...No headers & footers. So...
    • I logged-off of my microsoft account, restarted my computer, did not log in to my microsoft account, and opened one of my existing files... no headers & footers. At that point, I was pretty sure this was not an issue of global settings, So...
    • I deleted the headers and footers of my existing file, closed the file, reopened it, installed a simple test header and... It didn't show up. So...
    • I restarted, opened Project, logged back in, and opened a blank project schedule. On that schedule, I entered simple header information, clicked OK, and THE HEADER SHOWED-UP! At that point, I'm thinking, "WTF?!?". So...
    • I opened one of my original project schedules with the original header, and it showed-up in print preview, just like it should. So for some reason, it wouldn't display my header information until I first opened a simple schedule with basic header info. After that, all of my typical header info shows up for all of my existing files. 

I then opened my other computer (with Windows 8) that had the same problem, and followed the last few steps above, and now it's working fine, too. 

I know that this was not a problem of incompatibility with an old file, as I just made and saved this schedule about 10 days ago, using Project 2016. This is definitely a Microsoft problem, though I couldn't tell you exactly why it happened. Anyway, I hope someone can find this information useful. It caused a tremendous amount of stress and cost me about 2 full days of my time to figure it out.

I want to add this information, because I didn't mention it previously: One of the symptoms of this problem, was that I would open the project file, and go to File/Print and the program would lock up and not function. If I would try to click on anything, it would ghost out and say "program not responding". The only way I could get out of that was to close & reopen the program. Once I did that, it would allow me to see the print preview, but the header & footer information did not display.  
    Monday, January 2, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• I tried chatting with MS support. I even let the tech remotely control my computer to try to resolve the issue. The first level tech couldn't figure it out, and the second level tech requested $499 to attempt to fix it! Ridiculous! This issue is not my fault. 

Will someone please at least attempt to help me? I'm pretty desperate to get this fixed. 

Friday, December 30, 2016 6:36 AM
  • My understanding is that most (all?) the printing functionality (including code to handle preview) is handled by Windows and the print driver software--not by Project directly.  Project only "talks" to those printing systems via Windows standard API calls.  

Accordingly, I would suggest you spend your time on the printer drivers. try using a different printer.  re-install printer drivers. 

It could also be that the MPP file might be corrupt (you mention that you work on two computers, so the movement of the file(s) between the two computers might be introducing a corruption).  See other posts on this forum for how to handle possibly corrupt files.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, December 30, 2016 7:54 AM
  • "My understanding is that most (all?) the printing functionality (including code to handle preview) is handled by Windows and the print driver software--not by Project directly.  Project only "talks" to those printing systems via Windows standard API calls.  

Accordingly, I would suggest you spend your time on the printer drivers. try using a different printer.  re-install printer drivers. 

It could also be that the MPP file might be corrupt (you mention that you work on two computers, so the movement of the file(s) between the two computers might be introducing a corruption).  See other posts on this forum for how to handle possibly corrupt files."

Thanks, I wish it was what you're suggesting, as that would be a relatively easy fix.  This is not a problem with Windows, as the problem exists on both computers, which have different operating systems, and both computers have separate printer drivers. Furthermore, it's not a problem with printing functionality - I'm able to print this document just fine - to more than one printer I have on my network. The problem is: The header and footer information is not showing up on the document. It doesn't show up if I print it, and it doesn't show up if I save it as an .mpp, and it doesn't show up if I save it to .pdf or any other format. 

The .mpp file isn't corrupt, because the aforementioned symptom is present if I open any existing .mpp file I've ever created, and I have hundreds of them to choose from. I've also tried creating a fresh .mpp with a fresh header from a blank document. ...Same results - header & footer are missing. 

I believe this problem is with the way Project/Office shares account information, since the problem occurred instantly on both my computers (which run separate downloads/serial numbers of Office and Project, and also run completely different Operating Systems). With this theory in mind, I logged-off of my account and tried it while logged-off. ...Same result - Header & footer don't show up. 

I'm going to try to post a screen shot of this symptom in a separate post... 

Friday, December 30, 2016 1:55 PM
  • The system won't let me post picture yet, because I'm too new to this forum. Here's a link to a couple screenshots, one of the "print" page, and one of the "page setup" dialog box, which shows the header (pixellated by me). You'll need to copy and paste to your address bar:

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/oregonrafter/library/Microsoft%20Project%20Problem?sort=3&page=1

Friday, December 30, 2016 2:03 PM
  • completeoblivion,

I feel for your frustration. You asked for an attempt to help and Rob has done that to the extent he can. Understand that those of us who respond on this forum are strictly volunteers. We do not work for, nor are we directly associated with, Microsoft. The most we can do is to confirm a problem and then suggest potential solutions or a workaround.

Unfortunately I do not have Project 2016 so I cannot confirm the problem although it sounds like you have done a considerable amount of testing that indeed makes a case for a bug. It would be desirable if someone who has Project/Office 2016 on Windows 8 or 10 could verify the problem.

I agree that you should be able to see, print and save your file with headers and footers as that has been a basic feature of Project since day one. You mentioned that the "problem occurred instantly" on both PCs. Does that mean it was working at some point? If so, it's possible a recent update caused a collateral negative impact on page setup. This happens from time to time. A "solution" might be to un-install the most recent update.

If the issue has always been present for Project 2016 in those Windows environments, then a possible workaround might be to save the file to an earlier version (e.g. Project 2010, 2013), open it in that version, add the desired headers/footers and print. Granted, not a desirable approach but if it is the fastest path to getting something you need now, it is worth a shot. If this approach is not viable for you (i.e. you do not have earlier versions of Project), and you have an immediate business need for a solution, then I recommend you bite the bullet and go with Microsoft support. My understanding is, although not confirmed, that if this problem is a bug, Microsoft will refund your fee. Ask about that.

John

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:07 PM
  • John, 

I really appreciate the help you and Rob have offered. 

I'm currently using Project 2016 on two computers - One with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 8, and the problem is happening with both operating systems. The computer with Windows 10 is new, and Project is freshly loaded on to it. That's when I started having the problems with both computers not displaying the header & footer info. For this reason, I suspect it is a problem with the account interface with Project, and not with drivers, hardware, file corruption, etc. Prior to installing Project on the Windows 10 computer, Project worked fine on the Windows 8 computer, so it's either a problem with the interface, or with a software update. Your suggestion to uninstall the recent update(s) is a good one, but this is uncharted territory for me, and I don't want to screw things up even more, so I'm hesitant. 

As I previously mentioned, this hasn't always been a problem with the Windows 8 computer, so for that reason, I don't think that saving the file to an earlier version is the right tactic. 

Regarding Microsoft support: I'm getting the feeling that Microsoft isn't even supporting their own products, and that they've subcontracted all of this work to a 3rd party that is only interested in making money. The support person who took control of my desktop did not even attempt to open the "page setup" section to see if there was information entered there, and they quickly determined I would need upper-level support (which costs $499). Seriously, how can they determine what the problem is, without even looking at the problem I'm having? This just seems like a scam to me, and if true, it's a sad testament to Microsoft.  I hate the paranoia this is creating, but I seriously doubt they would even be honest about admitting this is a Microsoft problem, and would likely fix it and call it a user settings issue. Ugh. 

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:46 PM
  • complete...

I'm a little confused. You say you have two PCs, one with Windows 8 and one with Windows 10. You also said that Project worked fine on the Windows 8 PC but that when you installed Windows 10 and then Project on the other PC, Project started misbehaving on both PCs? I must be missing something but then I don't have any expertise with Project accounts.

Are you in a Project Server environment? If so, you might consider posting your issue to the Project Server forum, although keep in mind that this is a holiday weekend and you likely won't get a response until next week.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=projectserver2010general

With regard to support. I agree it's very frustrating but it is not unique to Microsoft. In my experience, all large corporate entities support, whether via phone, e-mail or other, has multiple levels. Initial contact is to a "first responder" who may or may not be in this country and is only "equipped" to handle basic or generic issues. It's likely the first person you spoke with had limited, if any, expertise with Project or Windows. If the issue is more technical and you need an immediate resolution, even if it is a user setup issue, then yes you will probably have to pay for it. It's a business model, not a consumer model.

John

Friday, December 30, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Oh, that's just great. Now we're both confused. :-)

It's not a project server environment. It's just basic Project Pro, and I'm not sharing those files on a server - they're just .mpp's stored locally. The best way I can describe it (because I'm not a techie), is that with 2016 products, Microsoft now has "simplified" settings that are associated with your Microsoft account. When you log-in to your microsoft account and change your settings, this gets applied globally for all of your microsoft products. So, for example, if you change the background color in settings on one computer, it automatically changes the background color on Microsoft products that are on another computer, the moment you log-in to your account on that computer.

So, the latest update is that Microsoft answered my plea for help, and suggested I repair Project. To do this, you go to Control Panel/Programs and Features, and then right click on the program and choose "change", and then it prompts you to repair the files. I'm now in the middle of this. Fingers and toes crossed. 

Friday, December 30, 2016 6:30 PM
  • complete...

Maybe we're both learning something here. You said the issue still occurs if you log-off. Are you using Project Pro for Office 365?

Let me know how the repair process goes. If it doesn't help, threre might be an issue with your Global. A corrupt Global file can cause strange behavior, like what you are seeing. I don't know how it works with the version you have but with stand alone installations of Project, the working Global is stored on your PC. The user can locate and move that Global to the trash. Upon re-start of Project, a new default Global will automatically be created. You will of course no longer have any custom attributes such as views, table, filters, etc. that you created but those can be re-created or possibly recovered.

John

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:53 PM
  • I HAVE A WORK-AROUND FOR THIS ISSUE, BUT STILL WORKING ON A RESOLUTION.   

This being said, I will preface by adding: I believe this is a Microsoft Project issue. 

Since I last posted, I went through the following steps: 

• Checked all settings, to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. There are no additional settings relating to headers and footers, so I was pretty sure this was a software issue. So... 
    • I uninstalled Project Professional 2016 and reinstalled it. Same problem: No headers and footers. So...
    • I uninstalled Project Project and Office Professional 2016, reinstalled Office, then reinstalled Project. I made sure that I downloaded and ran the 64 bit version of both the Office Suite and Project.  Same issue: No headers and footers. Since I was now quite sure this was not due to file corruption of any of Microsoft's programs, I knew it must be relating to either 1) Global settings, or 2) The headers and footers in my existing files. So...
    • I turned-off one of my computers (to make sure one was not affecting the other), logged-off of my microsoft account, and opened one of my existing files. ...No headers & footers. So...
    • I logged-off of my microsoft account, restarted my computer, did not log in to my microsoft account, and opened one of my existing files... no headers & footers. At that point, I was pretty sure this was not an issue of global settings, So...
    • I deleted the headers and footers of my existing file, closed the file, reopened it, installed a simple test header and... It didn't show up. So...
    • I restarted, opened Project, logged back in, and opened a blank project schedule. On that schedule, I entered simple header information, clicked OK, and THE HEADER SHOWED-UP! At that point, I'm thinking, "WTF?!?". So...
    • I opened one of my original project schedules with the original header, and it showed-up in print preview, just like it should. So for some reason, it wouldn't display my header information until I first opened a simple schedule with basic header info. After that, all of my typical header info shows up for all of my existing files. 

I then opened my other computer (with Windows 8) that had the same problem, and followed the last few steps above, and now it's working fine, too. 

I know that this was not a problem of incompatibility with an old file, as I just made and saved this schedule about 10 days ago, using Project 2016. This is definitely a Microsoft problem, though I couldn't tell you exactly why it happened. Anyway, I hope someone can find this information useful. It caused a tremendous amount of stress and cost me about 2 full days of my time to figure it out.

I want to add this information, because I didn't mention it previously: One of the symptoms of this problem, was that I would open the project file, and go to File/Print and the program would lock up and not function. If I would try to click on anything, it would ghost out and say "program not responding". The only way I could get out of that was to close & reopen the program. Once I did that, it would allow me to see the print preview, but the header & footer information did not display.  
    Monday, January 2, 2017 5:48 PM
  • complete...

I'm glad you got it working. Note I didn't say you got it resolved.

I didn't see any mention of doing a repair as suggested by Microsoft support nor did I see an mention of clearing the Global, but a complete un-install and re-install should have taken car of both those potential issues.

I'm not convinced there is a problem with Project or Windows for that matter. In order to claim that, the problem would have to be confirmed and repeatable and that isn't the case.

Hope things keep working for you.

John

Monday, January 2, 2017 6:15 PM
  • John, 

The problem is recurring and isn't resolved, because if I don't open a blank schedule and then go to "File", my other schedules won't open - Project freezes-up and I have to restart it. This is a work-around, at best. 

Regarding repair as suggested by Microsoft: I did try this, prior to the list of stuff I last posted. ...No worky. 

Please be aware that the Windows 10 computer I'm working-from has a new/fresh hard drive, and no other programs were loaded before this problem occurred. 

Monday, January 2, 2017 10:27 PM