Several temporary “~xxxxxxxxxx.doc” opens in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded XP and Office 2003 to W7 and Office 2010. Now when I open word documents from anywhere (Hummingbird DM or locally), I get the correct document opened but also the temporary one beginning by the "~". I could get like 10 of those ~ documents opened... So in Windows 7, when I roll my mouse over Word 2010, I should only see like 10 opened documents but in fact, there are 20 opened...

Is there a quick settings that needs to be checked in Word to avoid this and only have the documents opened only?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For such abnormal behavior, we'd suggest to check 3 things first:

• 3rd-party addins
    • macros
    • 3rd-party services or applications

Start Word in safe mode to determine if it could be caused by 3rd-party add-ins or macros.

Hold down Ctrl key to double click on the document to open the document by starting Word in safe mode.

Hold down Shift key as well will allow you to select more documents to be opened in the same time.

If this behavior won't occur in safe mode, check whether there are any macros or 3rd-party add-ins, then use the method of elimination to find out the cause.

If this behavior still persists in safe mode, configure Windows to start in clean boot mode to determine if it could be caused by the 3rd-party services. 

See how to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135)

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:21 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 7:19 AM