Application Hang During Launch RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am experiencing an issue with one of our applications called softlab.  This "suite" contains four apps, all work except one, SoftlabMic V4.  When I launch the sequenced app I get the program splash screen and thats it, I see the .exe in the task manager.

I have used Procmon to gather some information. 

A few errors that I see are:

FastIO_Query_information R:\LABMIC.S01\LABMIC\SOFTCOMPUTER\SOFLABMIC\4.0\CMNGUI.DLL FAST IO DISALLOWED 

This FAST IO DISALLOWED is on several DLL's

Also..

Buffer Overflow on R:

Any idea's?

Friday, November 7, 2008 9:02 PM

Answers

• OK.  I think you started this post with the right idea and need to go back to process monitor.

I am sssuming that this exe is the one referenced in the FILENAME parameter of the osd you are launching.  It would seem tht this exe puts up a modal splash screen, which is why it covers everything.  Usually a splash screen is used when there is a lot of potentially time consuming initialization to occur (or the developer just thought it looked cool).  In this case we'll guess it is the first case.

I have never heard of the app, but given the name I am guessing it may be trying to initialize some hardware interface?  Like maybe a microphone, or com port, or something.  A good software design would timeout and give you an error dialog, but apparently this doesn't happen.  It could also be failing to locate a needed dl;l this would normally immediatly cause a failure or error mesage but perhaps the code could continue on and hang up later.

So back to the process monitor for you.  As stated earlier, always ignore the FAST_IO messages.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, August 7, 2009 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:42 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:05 PM

All replies

• FastIO errors may always be safely ignored.  This is an artifact of how the Windows System Cache works.  Any time you see fastio fail, you will see an attempt via the slow path.  This happens inside the OS kernel. 

Look for another error. 

Also pop your sequence back open and look for files in the windows\drivers folder.

Friday, November 7, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Brian,

So that problematic application stays on the splash screen or do you get error after a while?

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in answering. No errors just a splash of the application and thats it.  If I open notepad or anything else whatever appears in the center of the screen where the application splash is/was that now is in its place.  I have to reboot the computer in order to get it to go away.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:58 PM
  • you can close the AppV client and that should have closed the virtual app. Also try to launch the debug osd file and try procmon to see the issue

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:00 PM
  • I have closed the App-V Client and still LabMic32.exe stays in the task manager.  I have used procmon and didn't see anything different than a pc with the thick client installed.  I still have the log from Procmon if it would help, I could have missed something.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:32 PM
  • can you confirm that the labmic32.exe is a child process of sfttray.exe using process explorer.

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Yes, the application is part of the tree.

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:36 PM
  • OK.  I think you started this post with the right idea and need to go back to process monitor.

I am sssuming that this exe is the one referenced in the FILENAME parameter of the osd you are launching.  It would seem tht this exe puts up a modal splash screen, which is why it covers everything.  Usually a splash screen is used when there is a lot of potentially time consuming initialization to occur (or the developer just thought it looked cool).  In this case we'll guess it is the first case.

I have never heard of the app, but given the name I am guessing it may be trying to initialize some hardware interface?  Like maybe a microphone, or com port, or something.  A good software design would timeout and give you an error dialog, but apparently this doesn't happen.  It could also be failing to locate a needed dl;l this would normally immediatly cause a failure or error mesage but perhaps the code could continue on and hang up later.

So back to the process monitor for you.  As stated earlier, always ignore the FAST_IO messages.

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, August 7, 2009 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:42 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:05 PM