iPhone or gmail getting wrong From: address for messages sent from Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is an Apple/iPhone issue, a gmail issue or an Outlook issue. I'll start here since this user did not have this problem when his Windows client was Thunderbird.

When this users sends from Outlook, and the recipient's email client is Outlook, Thunderbird, or mailx, the message header looks like this on the recipient end (names modified):

From b.fink@mydom.org  Fri Oct  4 12:23:14 2019
    Subject: Re: Your Outlook
    To: Mark Foley <mfoley@novatec-inc.com>

When sending a message to the user's own gmail account, then opening it on his iPhone, the header looks like this:

Date: October 4, 2019 at 3:31:41 PM EDT
    To: brianfink99@gmail.com
    Subject: Test
    Reply-To: <b.fink@mydom.org>

The "brianf" id is the user's Active Directory ID, but that is not what he uses for email. His email is b.fink@mydom.org.

Any idea why this ID is showing at the From: address in the Gmail/iPhone message?

A possible clue: under account settings, the datafile is C:\Users\brianf\...\Microsoft\Outlook\brianf@mydom.org.ost

Another possible clue: when creating the account, Outlook asks for the email address. Entering b.fink@mydom.org does not work because it apparently parses the bit before the '@' as the login ID and the bit after the '@' as the mail server name. Of course, that doesn't work because b.fink is not the user's login ID. To get setup to continue you have to enter brianf@mydom.org. Then, login Id, user name and email address can be changed later on File > Account Settings > Account Name and Sync Settings.

So, how to I get Outlook NOT to send the user's AD login ID as the email address to Gmail?

Friday, October 4, 2019 10:16 PM

Answers

• This problem did turn out to be incorrect settings in the users Outlook config. Problem resolved.
    • Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Friday, January 31, 2020 4:14 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

So how about sending a message to the user's own gamil account then opening it on the Outlook client? Sending a message to a no-gmail account then opening it on his iPhone?

In this situation, it is suggested to remove and reconfigure your account on your Outlook client and test again. Besides, please check the display name of the sender via File > Account Settings > double click your account.

Please try my suggestions then we may figure out which application should be blamed.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:37 AM
  • This problem did turn out to be incorrect settings in the users Outlook config. Problem resolved.
    • Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Friday, January 31, 2020 4:14 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 4:14 PM