none
Disable Cache RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2010 with Feb CU installed; is there a way to disable cache in Project Pro so it cannot be used?

Jim Sipe

Jim Sipe

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:58 PM

Answers

• Jim --

When we teach a Project Server 2010 class, either for clients or open enrollment, we teach students the following process for closing Microsoft Project 2010 so that enterprise projects do not get stuck in the cache:
    1. NEVER click either of the X (Close) buttons in the upper-right corner of the application window, as this is the leading cause of projects getting stuck in a checked out condition.
    2. Before exiting the software, make sure all Save jobs and Publish jobs have completed successfully.
    3. Click File > Close to close an enterprise project.
    4. When prompted to check in the project, click the Yes button.
    5. Wait 5-10 seconds for the check-in process to complete.  (I personally tell my students to do a verbal countdown, 5-4-3-2-1-Blastoff as they wait!)
    6. If you are not sure if the check in process is completed, click File > Open and look for a Check In Pending message in the Open dialog.
    7. When the check in process is completed, click File > Exit to close the application.
    Companies that previously struggled with many enterprise projects stuck in a checked out state report that the preceding process greatly reduces the number of stuck projects.  Jim, as you clearly said in your last post, training is the key to resolving these cache issues.  Hope this extra comment helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:18 PM

All replies

• No. The cache is a core part of the tool and how it works with Project Server. it cannot be turned off.

What issues are you having where you feel the need to turn it off?

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:07 PM
  • We have users that constantly corrupt cache andI was thinking about just turning it off so that would not happen any more.

Jim

Jim Sipe

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:20 PM
  • how exactly are they doing this?

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:21 PM
  • That is a mystery. They get to the point where they cannot open a schedule read/write (just Read Only) and it was validated that the schedule was NOT checked out (through administrator Force checkin). They cannot even clear cache from the client, they need to delete the files in their cache directories.

Jim

Jim Sipe

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Interesting this sounds like a bug and we should fix it. Please contact MSFT Premier support to get this resolved, in the end you should not disable the cache mechanism.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:13 PM
  • What does a day-in-the-life look like for these PMs with regard to how they open, interact with, and close these projects? That is where the key will be for figuring this out. As Christophe suggested a support ticket will also likely be a very good start since if it turns out to be a bug a ticket is the only way to get it fixed.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:19 AM
  • I have experienced the need to delete the cache files myself and am a very "careful" user. When we installed 2010, we hired Microsoft to come assist us. I spent about a month with Bulent Guzel who provided expert assistance. I wait for all the "Save" and "Publish" messages to come to completion. I cannot vouch that others do; however, I would hope that the application should not cause issues for the sloppy user. We are holding a "Project Management Summit" for F5 employees at the end of June and have invided Ludo to provide our kickoff. I'd like him to meet happy users during his visit.

Jim Sipe

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Everyone loves happy users :)

This behaviour is typically observed when the client has lost a connection between the server and the client before the server has reported the checkin success back to the client. Could possibly be through closing the application too quickly after a save/publish event so the client does not get adequte time to receive a notification from the server advising the project has been checked in. Perhaps even a flakey network or WIFI connection at the time. Is it a big project as this could explain why messages may take a little longer to come back then otherwise expected perhaps. Keep promoting the wait for success messages before closing the application accross your organisation. Just thought it worth mentioning that when you are clearing the cache, remember there is a filter drop down box which also lets you select projects which are checked out to you just in case the cached project is in this section. Failing that approach of course then yes remove the files manually from the cache folder via windows explorer. Remeber to make a backup of the files in case you have something of value in them.

If it seems to be a bug then Christophes suggestion to raise it with Microsoft is of course the most common sense approach.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:42 PM
  • All good comments. I think more training is in order and collecting more data around when cache clearing has been needed. I don't think I have sufficient data to log a case with Microsoft yet.

Jim

Jim Sipe

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Jim --

When we teach a Project Server 2010 class, either for clients or open enrollment, we teach students the following process for closing Microsoft Project 2010 so that enterprise projects do not get stuck in the cache:
    1. NEVER click either of the X (Close) buttons in the upper-right corner of the application window, as this is the leading cause of projects getting stuck in a checked out condition.
    2. Before exiting the software, make sure all Save jobs and Publish jobs have completed successfully.
    3. Click File > Close to close an enterprise project.
    4. When prompted to check in the project, click the Yes button.
    5. Wait 5-10 seconds for the check-in process to complete.  (I personally tell my students to do a verbal countdown, 5-4-3-2-1-Blastoff as they wait!)
    6. If you are not sure if the check in process is completed, click File > Open and look for a Check In Pending message in the Open dialog.
    7. When the check in process is completed, click File > Exit to close the application.
    Companies that previously struggled with many enterprise projects stuck in a checked out state report that the preceding process greatly reduces the number of stuck projects.  Jim, as you clearly said in your last post, training is the key to resolving these cache issues.  Hope this extra comment helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Dale . . .  as always, I appreciate your comments. I will include your "shut down" steps in the material that I am about to develop.

Jim

Jim Sipe

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Good for you, my friend.  And you are more than welcome for the help, as well.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Jim,

Just a thought. Try to repro the issue on the server itself. I have seen similar issue due to incorrect load balancer configuration

You may hack local host file to narrow down the issue if you have load balancer configured. 

In your environment

a. what is the location of cache folder? Folder on users’ desktop or network share using roaming profile settings.

b. Do you use application virtualization? like Citrix  Xen App

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Excellent questions. I have a meeting with IT to go over these with him.

Jim Sipe

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Any idea as to why Microsoft doesn't just prevent Project Professional (the app) from closing until the send is complete?  Do you know if this will ever be addressed in a CU?
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:09 PM
  • We actually do hold the process open to end the transfer Jon - but if you physically yank the network cable or close a laptop, turn off wi-fi etc. there isn't much we can do.  We don't however hold the app open to get confirmation of check-in as this is a queued process and it may take some time if other stuff is ahead of it.  I suspect there may still be some scenarios where on the next start-up the check-in isn't getting updated correctly and the client still thinks it is checked out.  If we have a clear repro we could look into this deeper.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:28 PM
    Owner