none
Problems with Hyper-V-vmSwitch RRS feed

• Question

• I have Hyper-V enabled on my windows-10 machine. The initial state of Hyper-V switch is disabled. 

I am trying to enable-disable one of the virtual adapter using netsh command [netsh interface set interface "X Virtual Adapter" admin=disable]. While doing this, the Hyper-V switch itself is getting enabled and getting connected. This is affecting my test-scenario as I don't want hyper-v to interfere when I am using another adapter. How can I resolve this?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A virtual switch allows virtual machines created on Hyper-V hosts to communicate with other computers. You can create a virtual switch when you first install the Hyper-V role. To create additional virtual switches, use Hyper-V Manager or Windows PowerShell.

For more information, please refer to the link:

Create a virtual switch for Hyper-V virtual machines

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/get-started/create-a-virtual-switch-for-hyper-v-virtual-machines

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Hi Tao,

Does creation of virtual switch using Hyper-V manager guarantee that other virtual adapters won't get affected by Hyper-V virtual ethernet adapter? 

Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:37 AM
  •   Not necessarily. If you are running the latest version of Windows 10 there is also a default virtual switch which will be linked to one of the physical NICs in the host.

If you disable the NIC which is linked to a virtual switch, the virtual switch will certainly stop working.

I still am not sure what you are trying to do or how you are trying to do it (or why).

In your original post you say that the initial state of the virtual switch is disabled. Is that the default switch you are referring to? I presume it is since that is the only virtual switch which exists at that point. It should not be disabled by default.

The default switch is designed to give you an Internet connection in the guest without any further action on your part. It uses NAT to allow the guest to share the host's Internet connection. If you do not want to use this switch but create your own, you can disable the default switch through powershell.

With a standard external virtual switch, a virtual ethernet NIC will only be created it you select the "Allow management...... " option. If you do not select that option, only virtual machines can use that NIC. In my system, the default switch is disabled. The Ethernet NIC is linked to a virtual switch and only the vms can use it. The host uses the wireless NIC.

Bill

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:24 AM