Missing the Missing Data Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

i´m very frustrated!! Since we have updated to pas v6.3, we have a lot of problems with the briefing books and myviews.

in former version, when a cube was updated and / or member names change or are added/removed, ProClarity tried to fix this with the Missing Data wizard.  since we have installed version 6.3 (with hotfix 2214) of ProClarity Desktop Professional und Analytic Server, we are often not get the Missing Data wizard, but the message "There is a problem with ... it cannot be loaded. Please contact the autor of this page .. " so it is impossible for the user to change the existing report. where is the problem????

thanks a lot for your answers!!
    Andre
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Andre,

There is a chance that something may have changed in the 6.3 release, but we haven't had any other reports of or cases on this issue, so that seems unlikely.  Most of the changes that were made between 6.2 and 6.3 were made to comply with Microsoft's secure computing initiative.  The Missing Data Wizard hasn't ever been what you would call completely reliable, but it usually works, as you say, unless the changes made to the cube metadata are too great.

That being said, are you able to modify the book metadata by using the Missing Data option on the Book menu after receiving the message stating that there is a problem with the book?  Are you able to save the briefing book as xml after receiving the message?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Andre,

There is a chance that something may have changed in the 6.3 release, but we haven't had any other reports of or cases on this issue, so that seems unlikely.  Most of the changes that were made between 6.2 and 6.3 were made to comply with Microsoft's secure computing initiative.  The Missing Data Wizard hasn't ever been what you would call completely reliable, but it usually works, as you say, unless the changes made to the cube metadata are too great.

That being said, are you able to modify the book metadata by using the Missing Data option on the Book menu after receiving the message stating that there is a problem with the book?  Are you able to save the briefing book as xml after receiving the message?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Andre,

What version of 6.3 are you running?  Have you tried patching to the latest hot fix by searching for proclarity at download.microsoft.com?

-Joey

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:37 PM
  • I was searching through the forum this morning as we have today also now experienced the same issue in 6.3.  We implemented a change to a hierarchy (the hierarchy values changed) and we fully expected to see the Missing Data Wizard for briefing books and MyViews.  Its fine for briefing books (the wizard appears randomly as expected - see note below), but for all Professional Users who have saved MyViews, they dont get the wizrad (which we expected), instead they get this "There is a problem with ... it cannot be loaded. Please contact the author of this page .. ".  So, they can't access their views to change them, and so will have to rebuild them all (trust me, the phone has been ringing of the hook with this one today).  We're literally now testing making these Professional Users temporary administrators as for some reason the admins do get the wizard for their MyViews, otherwise once again our Professional user group has to rebuild their views.  This time we're going to tell them to stop saving MyViews and instead save as Briefing Books (as we are also getting an issue with views disappearing/corrupting).  So did you get to the bottom of this one Skypander, or what was your workaround??

On a related note, as Bob said, the Missing Data Wizard isnt exactly reliable, its always been strange that for some briefing books the wizard appears, yet for others it doesnt...this doesnt seem logical when we understand ProClarity does a metadata check, then surely all Briefing Books should have the wizard appear when you do something like remove a dimension from an SSAS perspective.  I have to say that this single piece of functionality is the one thing that drives me up the wall about ProClarity - its fair enough if you change something in Analysis Services and that no longer appears in the actual MDX query underpinning a briefing book, then the book should break and you should get the wizard to help you fix it (fix the MDX).  However, why this wizard must occur for everything else that doesnt actually use the item you've removed from Analysis Services is really frustrating, and it causes a huge overhead to go through all the books to check if the wizard appears or not.  We have limited Excel 2007 users also connecting to our cubes, yet they dont experience this disruption, if only ProClarity could resolve this metadata check and just do it for the MDX query, it would save us so much time and annoyance.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi Stuart,

If you're running the latest version of ProClarity (6.3.2214) you should not run into issues of this nature.  I know that prior ProClarity users (6.3 RTM and earlier) ran into some MDStore issues with My Views.  However, if you have the latest patch for ProClarity (6.3.2214) and create the My Views with that same version, you should notice a lot more stability. 

You might test creating My Views with 6.3.2214 and then see if you still encounter the same problem.  (Basically eliminating any old My Views that could be hanging around from pre-2214 versions.) 

Sorry to hear you're having troubles, I know this is very frustrating. 

HTH,

Amanda

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:38 PM