none
Project Server 2010: How to give Manage Users permission to custom security group ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We  have created custom Security Group(s) for <Department> Project Administrators. Departments Project Administrator basically have all the permissions of the default Portfolio Managers, Project Managers and Resource Manager security groups

We have created custom <Dept> Admin Categories for <Department> Project Administrators so that <Department> Project Administrators have access only to department projects, resources and views in their own RBS branch.

We would like to give <Department> Project Administrators permissions to Create, Edit and Delete Users for each of their departments without giving them permissions to edit or delete Security Groups. How do I set permissions for <Department> Project Administrators to achieve this ?

Thanks

MathurP
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:35 AM

All replies

• 1.Departmental custom fields’ primary function is to trim or filter the list of what a user may see within given areas of Project Professional and PWA.

2.Departments are not meant to act as a security measure. Remember, it’s about Structure and NOT Security

Security (Project Server 2010 settings)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197571.aspx

Project Server and SharePoint Server security

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197668.aspx

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Hi Sriram Es,

I think my question was misunderstood...this is not about department custom fields.

This question relates to assignig Global Security permissions to Custom Security groups/categories.

Here is the scenario...

1. Created different security groups of <Dept> Project Administrators for each department in my organization. For each of thes <Dept> Project Admin Security Groups
    2. Created custom Security Categories so they each custom <Dept> Project Admin group has access only to resources, projects and views of their own department. <Dept> Category permissions have been restricted to dept via RBS Structure. Have defined appropriate Department structure in RBS.
    3. We would like to give these custom Security Groups permissions to create, edit and delete users for their respective departments without giving them permissions to edit/delete seurity groups and categories

I could only find "Manage Users and Groups" and "Manage Security" permissions in Global permissions of a Security Group (under Manage Groups). I could not find any documentation about the scope of these permissions and I am not sure which of these permissions I should enable for the custom <Dept> Security groups.

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:09 AM