none
Remove Public Folder and Service Account DB in an Exchange 2003 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Guys.

Need your assistance on this.

Could you please let me know how to remove Public Folder and Service Account DB in an Exchange 2003 server? Also, we will be removing all of the disks on this server.

Do you have any articles/documentation regarding the process on how to perform these tasks?

1. Remove Public Folder and Service Account DB in an Exchange 2003 server

2. Remove all of the disks in an Exchange 2003 server

Please advise.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:55 PM

Answers

• I know what a public folder database is, but I don't know what a service account database is, unless it's just a mailbox database.

Generally you would remove the mailbox database first because it usually would have the public folder database as its preferred one, and you'd wouldn't be able to remove the public folder database first.

Before you can remove a mailbox database, you have to move or delete the mailboxes in it.  Before you can remove a public folder database, you must remove (nearly) all the public folders or their replicas, which means they have to have replicated to another public folder database.

So in Exchange 2003 System Manager, right-click the mailbox database and select Delete (or something like that).  If you're successful, repeat on the public folder database.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Hi IrwinBats,

Ed had provided useful information, except that, you can also refer to the following article to remove these DBs step by step:

How to Dismount and Delete the Mailbox and Public Folder Stores

Removing Mailbox and Public Folder Databases from Exchange Server 2003

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:36 AM

All replies

• I know what a public folder database is, but I don't know what a service account database is, unless it's just a mailbox database.

Generally you would remove the mailbox database first because it usually would have the public folder database as its preferred one, and you'd wouldn't be able to remove the public folder database first.

Before you can remove a mailbox database, you have to move or delete the mailboxes in it.  Before you can remove a public folder database, you must remove (nearly) all the public folders or their replicas, which means they have to have replicated to another public folder database.

So in Exchange 2003 System Manager, right-click the mailbox database and select Delete (or something like that).  If you're successful, repeat on the public folder database.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Hi IrwinBats,

Ed had provided useful information, except that, you can also refer to the following article to remove these DBs step by step:

How to Dismount and Delete the Mailbox and Public Folder Stores

Removing Mailbox and Public Folder Databases from Exchange Server 2003

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:36 AM