Since Windows 2003 Services ending we moving Sharepoint Services 3.0 to Windows 2008R2, Any help how can this be done ? RRS feed

• Question

• Since Windows 2003 Services ending we moving Sharepoint Services 3.0 to Windows 2008R2,

Any help how can this be done ?

We have 1 Server and single Farm.

I have build New 2008 R2 Server and planning to restore Backup taken from Old server to this new server. Will this work ?

Which version of Sharepoint should i install on Windows 2008 R2 server , i run sharepoint.exe downloaded but it throws error

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

>I have build New 2008 R2 Server and planning to restore Backup taken from Old server to this new server. Will this work ?

If you are talking about SQL database backup then it will work in new server.

>Which version of Sharepoint should i install on Windows 2008 R2 server

I would prefer SP 2010 on win 2008 R2 machine. Anyway what SP version is installed in old machine? Also mention that whether you have SP free version Or license one.

Also make sure that SQL and SP version should be 64bit.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see<br/> Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Thanks Hemendra for reply, I am new to sharepoint dont what license cost.So currently

I have installed WSS 3.0 SP2 x64  on WK28 R2 Server and restored WSS Backup using GUI taken from old Server.

Any help how do i proceed , restoring Site from old Server to this new Server.

Regards,

Rupesh

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:41 AM
  • Sorry for late reply.

Your next step is, create a new web application and deattach the content DB from new web application. You need to attach existing CDB to that web app.

Here is some links for your ref (unfortunately this is for 2010 but it same steps should work in WSS as well)

http://nikpatel.net/2009/03/11/step-by-step-process-move-site-collections-from-one-content-database-to-another/

http://www.sharepointpitstop.com/2012/06/attachdetach-sharepoint-webapp-contentdb.html

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see<br/> Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:50 AM