none
Not able to see issue links to tasks after Project Server 2013 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Recently we upgraded from Project Server 2010 to Project Server 2013. We had "issue Items" linked to tasks in Project Server 2010 and after upgrade those links seems to be broken. If we click on tasks in PWA, the attachment section doen't show link for issue. Also how do we add/link issue to task in Project Server 2013? it this procedure has been changed in Project Server 2013.

Any help would be highly apprciated.

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

• Kiran,

Did you complete bulk update ?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:17 PM
  • To answer your question on the new process for how to link items -

How to link items (Issues, Risks or Deliverables) to tasks

Summary

The method for linking list items such as Issues, Risks or Deliverables to a task in a Project SharePoint Task List or Enterprise Plan in Project Server 2013 has changed from the method used in perivous versions. This is due to changes in both SharePoint Server 2103 and Project Server 2013 architecture.

There are now two project management styles, which use two different web parts for editing plans. A SharePoint Tasks List will be edited on the Project Site in the Tasks list, while an Enterprise plan will use the Schedule web part for editing within PWA. Each type of plan will have its own steps for adding related items.

More Information

Below are two sets of steps to add related items. Use the steps appropreate for the project management style of your plan. Note: It is assumed that you already have a Project Site created that is either linked to a SharePoint Task List or and Enterprise project that has at least one task.

Enterprise project management style plan

1. Click      the hyperlink for the plan from within Project Center, the schedule web      part should display, if not then select it from the left navigation pane.
    2. Select      the task you wish to link an item too
    3. Clcick      the Options ribbon and click Related Items button. You should now      see the task open in the Project Site.
    4. Click ADD      RELATED ITEM, a new dialog, Select an Asset, will display.
    5. Double      click the type of asset you wish to link to the task (i.e. Issues, Risks,      Documents, or Deliverables)
    6. If the      item does not yet exit then click add and create the item by      filling out the form or browsing to a document.
    7. Once      the item is created, make sure it is selected then click the Insert      button at the bottom of the dialog. You will now see the item listed in      the task in the Related Items section. Clicking Close takes      you back to the Project Site, not to the schedule web part where you first      started.
    8. Navigate      back to the PWA home page and click Projects. You will see the icon      for the related item in Project Center.

SharePoint Tasks List project management style plan

1. Click      the hyperlink for the plan from within Project Center, the Tasks list on      the Project Site will display.
    2. Select      the task you wish to link an item too, then select the Tasks riboon      and click View Item (not Edit Item)
    3. The      task form displays, click SHOW MORE and click ADD RELATED ITEM     
    4. Double      click the type of asset you wish to link to the task (i.e. Issues, Risks,      Documents, or Deliverables)
    5. If the      item does not yet exit then click add and create the item by filling      out the form or browsing to a document.
    6. Once      the item is created, make sure it is selected then click the Insert      button at the bottom of the dialog. You will now see the item listed in      the task in the Related Items section. Clicking Close takes      you back to the Project Site and the Tasks list.

You can also start the process from the list item if it is already created.

1. Go to      the Project Site where the list item is located.
    2. Click      the hyperlink for the item to view it, do not edit the item, you won't see      the ADD RELATED ITEM link.
    3. Clcik      the ADD RELATED ITEM link
    4. On the      "Select an Asset" page, in the left navigation pane click on the      Tasks link that is associated with this Project Site.
    5. Select      the task you wish to link to the list item and click Insert at the      bottom of the dialog.
    6. Click Close.      The task will now be linked to the list item.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Thank you everyone!

There was some issue the way projects sites were linked. I un-linked the project sites and link them back. That resolved the issue. Now I do not get an error "this site, hasn't been shared with you" if I try to add related item for a task.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:51 PM

All replies

• Did you activate the enterprise features on the project sites?  Did you sync the project sites?

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Friday, March 1, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hey Kiran,

After upgrading did you complete Post-upgrade tasks?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686780.aspx

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 1, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Chris,

Feature are activated. Are you talking about any specific feature? Also site sync didn't help. We published the plan and that also didn't help

Hrishi,

If I go to PWA >> Server Settings >> Operational Policy. I do not see Bulk update project sites option.

Let me provide few more details

Steps to reproduce.

1) Access PWA >> Projects >> Schedule >> Select any of the task >> select option >> Related Items >> error "Sorry, this site hasn't been shared with you"

The Project Sites are under site collection http://Servername/projects/sites/

Our PWA has been Provisioned under http://Servername/PWA

There are few project sites under http://Servername/PWA site colletion and they do nto have this issue. Issue is only with sites under http://Servername/projects/sites/

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:39 AM
  • Kiran,

Few options from Server settings are now moved to SharePoint Central admin. To access bulk update page, navigate through following path

SharePoint Central Admin>>General Application Settings>>PWA setting---Manage

Select Bulk update connected SharePoint sites

/projects is PWA or just a site collection?

/Projects is in the same content database as /PWA or different?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

/Project is just a site collection, we have not proviisoned any PWA instance under /projects. We have only one PWA instance provisioned under /pwa

/Projects and /PWA are in different content DB.

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Kiran,

Did you complete bulk update ?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Hrishi,

Upgrade has been done by another user and he confirmed running the bulk update.

Will it affect anything if we run again? Also do we need to run it to move project sites from /Project/Sites to /PWA?

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:30 PM
  • To answer your question on the new process for how to link items -

How to link items (Issues, Risks or Deliverables) to tasks

Summary

The method for linking list items such as Issues, Risks or Deliverables to a task in a Project SharePoint Task List or Enterprise Plan in Project Server 2013 has changed from the method used in perivous versions. This is due to changes in both SharePoint Server 2103 and Project Server 2013 architecture.

There are now two project management styles, which use two different web parts for editing plans. A SharePoint Tasks List will be edited on the Project Site in the Tasks list, while an Enterprise plan will use the Schedule web part for editing within PWA. Each type of plan will have its own steps for adding related items.

More Information

Below are two sets of steps to add related items. Use the steps appropreate for the project management style of your plan. Note: It is assumed that you already have a Project Site created that is either linked to a SharePoint Task List or and Enterprise project that has at least one task.

Enterprise project management style plan

1. Click      the hyperlink for the plan from within Project Center, the schedule web      part should display, if not then select it from the left navigation pane.
    2. Select      the task you wish to link an item too
    3. Clcick      the Options ribbon and click Related Items button. You should now      see the task open in the Project Site.
    4. Click ADD      RELATED ITEM, a new dialog, Select an Asset, will display.
    5. Double      click the type of asset you wish to link to the task (i.e. Issues, Risks,      Documents, or Deliverables)
    6. If the      item does not yet exit then click add and create the item by      filling out the form or browsing to a document.
    7. Once      the item is created, make sure it is selected then click the Insert      button at the bottom of the dialog. You will now see the item listed in      the task in the Related Items section. Clicking Close takes      you back to the Project Site, not to the schedule web part where you first      started.
    8. Navigate      back to the PWA home page and click Projects. You will see the icon      for the related item in Project Center.

SharePoint Tasks List project management style plan

1. Click      the hyperlink for the plan from within Project Center, the Tasks list on      the Project Site will display.
    2. Select      the task you wish to link an item too, then select the Tasks riboon      and click View Item (not Edit Item)
    3. The      task form displays, click SHOW MORE and click ADD RELATED ITEM     
    4. Double      click the type of asset you wish to link to the task (i.e. Issues, Risks,      Documents, or Deliverables)
    5. If the      item does not yet exit then click add and create the item by filling      out the form or browsing to a document.
    6. Once      the item is created, make sure it is selected then click the Insert      button at the bottom of the dialog. You will now see the item listed in      the task in the Related Items section. Clicking Close takes      you back to the Project Site and the Tasks list.

You can also start the process from the list item if it is already created.

1. Go to      the Project Site where the list item is located.
    2. Click      the hyperlink for the item to view it, do not edit the item, you won't see      the ADD RELATED ITEM link.
    3. Clcik      the ADD RELATED ITEM link
    4. On the      "Select an Asset" page, in the left navigation pane click on the      Tasks link that is associated with this Project Site.
    5. Select      the task you wish to link to the list item and click Insert at the      bottom of the dialog.
    6. Click Close.      The task will now be linked to the list item.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Thank you everyone!

There was some issue the way projects sites were linked. I un-linked the project sites and link them back. That resolved the issue. Now I do not get an error "this site, hasn't been shared with you" if I try to add related item for a task.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hrishi you were right. thers was some issue the way sites were linked. I unlinked then and linked it back to resolve the issue.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Kate,

I can relate an item to a task but there is no icon displaying next to the task. If I open the task I can see the related item. But how can a resource see the item linked?

Thank you.

Andrea Carabajal

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:39 PM