none
Unable to Request Virtual Smart Card Certificate for Multiple Users in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use the TPM in my Lenovo laptop as a virtual smart card.  I have an enterprise CA set up and can set up the VSC with no problem, I can request the certificate with no problem, and everything is good.

If I create two VSCs (for two user accounts on the same computer), when I go to request the certificate, I get a dialog box asking me which VSC to request the certificate for (see the image).  The problem is that I can't select one.  Click on them does nothing, clicking OK does nothing.  I tried requesting the cert via PowerShell instead of through the MMC, and I have the same experience.

The reason I need to do this is that I use a limited account to log into the computer, and a local admin account to elevate via UAC when I need to.  If I log in with a virtual smart card and PIN, I am no longer able to elevate (Run as Administrator does nothing - literally - nothing happens after the UAC prompt).  I think that if I have a VSC and PIN for the second account, perhaps I will be able elevate that way instead of with a username and password.

Friday, July 31, 2015 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Same issue on my test laptop. Have you found a solution?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:02 AM