custom list definition or list template or neither RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I've decided to use the 3 files. thanks for the advice.

my list has two custom pages DispFprm.aspx and NewForm.aspx. I modified these in SPD 2007. I need to move these to my new moss server 2007.

i havent linked these in the content type, just used SPD and set them to default.

Is there an easy way to do this, I tried earlier but there was a problem with data source ?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Custom List Definition would be the best suitable option here.. 

Here is what you can do :

1) Create a VS 2010 project

2) Add a new item - list definition.. This would add a set of file like schema.xml, and the Forms like dispForm.aspx etc. Follow this guide for the same. Apart from the listinstance > elements.xml and the listdefinition> elements.xml ,  you would have to modify the schema.xml in the list definition to contain references to the respective Content Type.. (you can follow the given link for this). Also replace the DispForm with the your custom DispForm.aspx.
    Once your list definition is ready, this can be deployed with a feature

However, you need to Note that the content types and the fields referred in the content type needs to be deployed first.

Thus you must  deploy in the following sequence -

1)  Feature1 - Deploys Content Type and Fields

2)  Feature 2 - Deploys list definition

You can use Feature Dependency to maintain the sequence 

Priyanka
    • Edited by priyanka8275 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:40 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Actually, it would have been better if you would have opened a new thread for the second requirement mentioned here. I think you should go for custom list definition as a permanent solution (incase you modify the pages more often) OR you can use list template .

Priyanka
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:52 PM
  • > Actually, it would have been better if you would have opened a new thread for the second requirement mentioned here

100% true.

I have split off this part of the thread and closed the previous part. New questions should always go in new threads.

Orange Juice Jones: Please edit the Title of this thread to make it fit the new question

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hi

Will custom list definition or  list template accomodate custom pages  ?

Earlier I tried a list template to move a list from one install to another, the CT did not move accoss so i created a Feature for this.

After creating feature, the CT and fields were ready to use. Then i manually created a new list, i could have use a list template but couldnt see the benefits as I did not want ant data.

Finally on the list I had custom forms (dispform and Newform), i copied these from my old server and edited parts.

How could have  custom list definition or list template help ?

thanks

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Custom List Definition would be the best suitable option here.. 

Here is what you can do :

1) Create a VS 2010 project

2) Add a new item - list definition.. This would add a set of file like schema.xml, and the Forms like dispForm.aspx etc. Follow this guide for the same. Apart from the listinstance > elements.xml and the listdefinition> elements.xml ,  you would have to modify the schema.xml in the list definition to contain references to the respective Content Type.. (you can follow the given link for this). Also replace the DispForm with the your custom DispForm.aspx.
    Once your list definition is ready, this can be deployed with a feature

However, you need to Note that the content types and the fields referred in the content type needs to be deployed first.

Thus you must  deploy in the following sequence -

1)  Feature1 - Deploys Content Type and Fields

2)  Feature 2 - Deploys list definition

You can use Feature Dependency to maintain the sequence 

Priyanka
    • Edited by priyanka8275 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:40 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:57 AM