Skype for Business 2015 control panel topology pane is empty RRS feed

• Question

• I have a deployment of 5 standard edition Skype for Business 2015 servers in our world-wide network. (FE, DIR and Chat at the main site, FE at the rest).  They are all functional and everything seems to be working well for the past year plus.  Recently (in the past month or so), when I open the control panel and look at topology, the screen is empty.  If I change servers to one of the others, the pane often fills in.  Of the 5, only 2 currently show the topology screen information.  For the other 3, the screen is blank.  Replication seems to be happy and none of the users are complaining about issues.

It doesn't matter if I access the control panel via web browser, if I use the control panel applet and select a different server from the list or if I logon the servers individually and open the control panel from there.  The symptom remains the same.

All the investigation I have done so far of the topology shows all machines up and running as before.  All the Skype servers are currently showing version 6.0.9319.537 (Yes, we know we are a version behind.)  I checked the certificates to make sure none were expired (none are), and the chain certs for all of them have been verified as well.  I have published the topology again, and re-ran the deployment wizard on all the effected servers with no change in symptom.  I looked in the event log but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

Any suggestions on what to look for next?  pointers in a direction (URL, blogs etc.) would be appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mike

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Is there any error when it occurred? And could it display other pages (e.g. Users)?

Which type of user do you use the sign in the control panel? Please check the user’s permission role, or change a different account with “CSAdministrator” permission.

And please check the related services status (“Skype for Business *” and “SQL Server Browser”).

In addition, please have a try to add URL (https://localhost/ or https://<lync.domain.com>/) to "Trusted sites" in IE setting.

Here is an article about Lync control panel troubleshooting:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lyncserver/lync-server-2013-troubleshooting-lync-server-2013-control-panel

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mike Wunderlin Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:53 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:09 AM
  • My account is in the CsAdministrator group as I was the one that deployed all the systems.

All the services are running on all the servers (S4B and SQL).  that was my first stop when this started, followed by checking the certs and publishing/deploying the topology.

When I attempt to look at Persistent Chat settings, I'm seeing "get-CsPersistentChatCategory: unable to read the topology.  please verify that the topology data is accessible before trying this procedure".  I looked at all the topology data in the share folders.  it's all there and the permissions look right.

When I attempt to look at Voice Routing (not currently enabled, but) I'm seeing "Get-CsDialPlan: cannot open database 'xds' requested by the login.  the login failed."

Thank you for the pointer.  I'll look at that shortly.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 11:29 AM
  • FIXED! 

Published the topology again, then looked at the referenced link for troubleshooting the control panel.

The link referenced SSL 3.0 setting in IE.  The issue wasn't that SSL 3.0 wasn't selected, but that it was the ONLY one selected.  I also enabled TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 (for now) and now the topology pane fills in properly.  Persistent chat shows correctly on the server that is hosting the service.

thank you for the pointer.  Hopefully they fix the requirement for SSL 3.0 as I believe it's been depricated.. and I'm hearing TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are on the way out  as well.

I have marked your response as the answer.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your sharing. Glad to see it is fixed.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:49 AM