locked
SharePoint timer service getting terminated after I joined a new server to an existing farm. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello guys, hope you are doing well.

    I recently added a new server to my existing server farm set up containing 2 servers. In all, I now have three servers in my farm.

    I am observing an System event error related with SharePoint timer service getting unexpectedly terminated. Event ID - 7031.

    I have read a lot of blogs around this issue and I believe that the probable solution could be to try clearing SharePoint Configuration Cache and see if that resolves the issue.

    I am going to try to soon but in the meanwhile I would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions to resolve this or if there is anything else that I can consider checking? ULS logs did not help much in my case.

    On a side note, I have also observed that if I stop the user profile service on the newly added server, the event error stops getting logged in the new server but at the same time the event error can be seen on the other server where the User profile synchronization service is running.

    Any help is welcome!!

    Thanks!
    • Edited by SK_SP2010 Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:51 PM

Answers

  • Hello All,

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    The issue is resolved for me now :-)

    Here is how I got this through -

    I noticed difference in the no. of XMLs that are available under 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config' on different farm servers.

    At this time, I was more confident that refreshing SP Configuration may be the right action now.

    I refreshed the SP configuration cache and then waited for a while. Now, I no longer see this error getting reported in System events log on my servers also the User profile service is now running fine.

    Cheers!

    • Marked as answer by SK_SP2010 Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:55 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

  • "ULS logs did not help much in my case."ULS log is more reliable for us to get the root cause of the issue, please do check it on the server when the service stopped.

    From your description, it may be related to the user profile service, check the below article, whether you have tried this way:

    http://www.darkomilevski.info/blog/?p=19

    another situation:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sowmyaa/archive/2013/07/16/sp2010-timer-service-crash.aspx


    Qiao Wei &lt;br/&gt; My blog:<a href="http://blog.goobol.com">http://blog.goobol.com</a>

    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:57 AM
  • It seems that the issue with The timer service and affected the UPS also.Please check the below link for the same kind of issue and the solution.

    http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/2014/06/timer-service-terminated-with-service.html



    Anil Avula[Microsoft Partner,MCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP,MCSM] See Me At: http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/

    Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:59 AM
  • Hello All,

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    The issue is resolved for me now :-)

    Here is how I got this through -

    I noticed difference in the no. of XMLs that are available under 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config' on different farm servers.

    At this time, I was more confident that refreshing SP Configuration may be the right action now.

    I refreshed the SP configuration cache and then waited for a while. Now, I no longer see this error getting reported in System events log on my servers also the User profile service is now running fine.

    Cheers!

    • Marked as answer by SK_SP2010 Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:55 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:55 PM