none
Resource Summary Row Not Updating in Resource Usage View? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In Project Professional 2016 I set a baseline for the entire project, made an adjustment, reset the same baseline this time only for the selected task and checked both rollup boxes. When I switch to the Resource Usage View the summary of hours for the resource reflect the original baselines hours and not the updated ones. The roll-up is now incorrect. However, it appears correct in the Gantt Chart View.  Has anyone seen this before?  The only way I can get the resource rollup to be correct is to re-baseline the entire project. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Tim

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

I can confirm this behaviour.  When you baseline a project you are baselining primarily the task information.   When you baseline part of a project, you baseline selected tasks and when using the roll-up functionality, it specifically says roll-up to Summary Tasks; the Resource Baseline Work value is not updated unless you re-baseline the whole project. 

From a programmers point of view, it would be impossible to tell whether to update the Resource Baseline Work value, as project has no way of tracking how that value is made up and whether that particular task should increment or decrement the resources Baseline Work value.  

Microsoft would say that this is working as expected.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:27 PM
  • I would say that it is working as expected. True, the summary above the recently baselined task will no longer be a rollup of all of the currently baselined tasks. But you don't have to re-baseline the entire project, only the summary directly above the task and all of the summaries above that.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response. I am still a little unclear. Here is an example,

Tim is assigned to 3 tasks Tasks 1, Task 2, Task 3. They all have a duration of 2 days. I select tasks 1 and 2 and set the baseline for those two selected tasks while checking each of the boxes for the 'Rollup'.

When I switch to 'Resource Usage' view and add the 'Baseline Work' column, it shows the 'Baseline Work' hours for the tasks Tim is assigned to as 16 hours each. However, these hours don't roll up to Tim's summary of hours for Baseline Work. It should total 32 hours. However, it still totals 0. You are saying Project doesn't have a way to know if this Baseline Work should be increasing or decreasing?

Can you advise any further?

Thanks-

Tim

• Edited by Tim Horgan Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:17 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:15 PM
  • Yes. Thanks for the example. Worth checking out.

You have inserted the baseline work column inserted into the usage table in the resource usage view.

If you baseline the entire project, then Tim's work and baseline work are both 48 hours.

This can be readily confirmed in the resource sheet view + work table, or in the resource usage view with the baseline work column inserted into the usage table.

If, in the resource usage view, you then clear the baseline for task 3, the change doesn't roll up to Tim's baseline work, which remains at 48 hours.
    Also, back in the Gantt chart view, clearing the baseline work in task 3 does not roll up to summaries baseline work.

Returning to what you actually did, which was baseline just the two tasks, I see what you see, in the resource usage view Tim's baseline work stays at 0.
    Also, in the resource sheet view with the work table, Tim's baseline work is 0. This messes with the variance calculation.
    In the Gantt chart view, the baseline work does roll up to the summaries (I put two levels in).

I agree with you that this is somewhat unexpected, but I can't be sure that it is a bug. It is definitely something to be aware of.

It is possible to edit Tim's baseline work directly, in either the resource sheet view, work table, or in the resource usage view.

Friday, December 22, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Thanks Trevor,

This is what doesn't make sense to me and why, when the baseline work for a task is recalculated it still doesn't roll that up to the resource that is assigned to those tasks.

Ben, do you have anymore insight here?

Thanks-

Tim

Friday, December 22, 2017 7:28 PM
  • Hi Tim,

When the baseline work for some single task is rolled up to summary tasks it cannot roll up to the resource summary task because there is no direct correlation between the task summary and resource summary.  As you can see from the attached screen shot, if you updated Task 2 so that it was 3 hours for R2, then simply updating Task 2's baseline and rolling is up to the Phase 1 summary task is not going to recalc the baseline work for either Resource R1 or R2 - how can it?  The only time Baseline Work can be calculated for the Resource Summary is when a full baseline is set.  Another way to thinking about this is that the Baseline work field in the Gantt Chart is actual Task Baseline Work, the baseline work field in the resource usage view is Assignment Baseline Work, except for the Resource Summary which is the Resource baseline work.  We cannot update Task Baseline Work into the Resource Baseline Work unless a full baseline is taken.  

Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Thanks for the further explanation Ben. That does help clarify it more for me.

Much appreciated!

Tim

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:11 PM
  • You're welcome.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:25 PM