On screen keyboard (OSK) suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have Muscular Dystrophy and I've been using computers since the 80's, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents on some improvements I'd like to see in the OSK.

My disability effects my mobility, so I've  been using on-screen keyboards for years and, until Windows 7 arrived, I've been happy with an application called SofType. When I got Windows 7 I thought I'd give their keyboard a try, and I'm impressed. There are some features that could be improved:

• Ability to add words to prediction list
    • Truly resizable (the smallest keyboard is still fairly large)
    • Customized layouts - alpha only, etc.
    • Function keys available at all times
    • Macro key (add strings to macro keys)
    • Add ability to right click

Between the OSK and the customizable features of my touchpad, Windows 7 has made my computer much easier to navigate and use, but there's always room for improvements.

• Changed type Dale Qiao Friday, September 24, 2010 1:47 AM feedback
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your kind feedback and suggestions. Regarding the idea of resizing keyboard size, you can resize the keyboard size by dragging the OSK window and the keyboard should resize automatically. Regarding other ideas, I would like to forward your opinions to our DEV team, I believe that they will take your ideas carefully and seriously. I hope that your insight thought can be put in future product.

Meanwhile, if you like, you could submit your ideas directly to Poviding Feedback to Microsoft or Feedback|Microsoft Connect.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 24, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Dale.

I've resized the osk to it's smallest allowable size, and the height isn't as much of issue as the width. My display is set at 1920x1080, and the osk takes about 1/3 of the width of the screen - the odd thing is that the minimum width is the same whether or not the numeric keypad is enabled. If the size of the "non-keypad" keys would stay the same when turning off the numeric keypad instead of stretching to fill the window, then I'd be happy :) Ultimately though, a truly resizable keyboard with no minimum height or width would be the answer.

Thanks again and I'll send my thoughts to feedback.

Bob

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:40 AM
  • It is by design. To know more about it, I would like to suggest you visiting the following documents:

Keyboard

Tablet PC Input Panel

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 24, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Hello

I am French, and i work with persons which have disabilities (http://www.apf.asso.fr/ 

http://www.avh.asso.fr/)

It will apreciable that requirements from Bob will be really considered.

Specially

• Ability to add words to prediction list (a user dictionary for example)
    • Truly resizable (the smallest keyboard is still fairly large) (because the use of joystick will be much easier)
    • ability to right click (because of cutomization of mouses )

Thanks not to forget we must answer correctly at each person espcially persons with disabilities

I consider this post has no response for Bob

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Why did Microsoft think it was a good idea to remove direct access to function keys? Doing a simple operation like Alt-F4 now requires pressing Alt+Fn then F4. Way to reduce user productivity Microsoft!!!
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:25 AM