Password Expiration Reminder UI - Any way to alert users when unlocking PC or coming out of sleep? RRS feed

• Question

• Here, 2 years after migrating to Windows 7, I am getting users complaining about "not seeing" the password reminder balloon message. Most of the people complaining are ones that never turn their PC off, it occurred to me that Windows 7 by design apparently does not warn of password expiration EXCEPT during the Windows logon itself, not unlocking the screensaver or when coming out of sleep/hibernation.

Is there any way to change this behavior? If users never log out, they in fact will never get reminder of password expiration.

I also wish there was some way to revert to the Windows XP style of password expiration with an window you have to confirm reminder rather than the balloon message which I think is very much less effective.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

• I am afraid it cannot be change on that situation. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:31 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A user will miss a password notification balloon because the icon is hidden. By default Windows 7 has set all icons and notifications on the taskbar to be partially hidden.  The password balloon will remain hidden from your domain user. 

To correct the problem you may try one of the following:

1. Go to: Controlpanel/All Control Panel Items/Notifications Area Icons/  check the box at the bottom to "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar"

2. Go to: Controlpanel/All Control Panel Items/Notifications Area Icons/  change the Windows logon Reminder icon to "show icon and notifications"

Niki Han

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:03 AM
  • You misunderstood my question. The users get the notification when logging in, but not when unlocking the computer from screensaver or when coming out of sleep or hibernation. I understand this is by default, but I am  asking if this behaviour can be changed...
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:02 PM
  • I am afraid it cannot be change on that situation. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Niki Han

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:31 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 2:46 AM
  • If you have any further question, please let me know.

Niki Han

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:23 AM