none
The VHD containing the replica or one of it's snapshots could not be mounted or unmounted DPM 2016 UR4 RRS feed

• Question

• I found another thread on this but thought I'd start this as the other was very long and hadn't been updated in a while. I got a lot of critical and warning errors as a result of the following:

Creation of recovery points for C:\ on <FQDN> have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3114)
    The VHD containing the replica or one of it's snapshots could not be mounted or unmounted. (ID: 40002)

This seems to be a result of high memory usage which has not been completely resolved.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b521ed8a-937a-4c01-9ede-6633ae1c32ca/the-vhd-containing-the-replica-or-one-of-its-snapshots-could-not-be-mounted-or-unmounted-id?forum=dpmstorage

I'm using DPM 2016 UR4. Worryingly, around the same time I found delayed write failed errors and 'The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId:' errors in the event log as well as 'Unexpected failure. Error code: 2@01010013' from the VDS Basic Provider.

You may also need to tune some ReFs parameters to get the best overall results.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016173/fix-heavy-memory-usage-in-refs-on-windows-server-2016-and-windows-10
    Friday, January 12, 2018 11:24 AM

Answers

• house keeping - closing old post.

1) Add these registry settings.  Copy / paste into notepad and save as ReFs.reg (no .txt extension) - then right-click the ReFs.reg and click merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    "RefsEnableLargeWorkingSetTrim"=dword:00000001
    "RefsNumberOfChunksToTrim"=dword:00000020
    "RefsDisableCachedPins"=dword:00000001
    "RefsProcessedDeleteQueueEntryCountThreshold"=dword:00000800
    "RefsEnableInlineTrim"=dword:00000001
    "RefsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "RefsDisableAsyncDelete"=dword:00000001
    "RefsDisableDeleteNotifications"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Disk]
    "TimeOutValue"=dword:00000078

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\DiskStorage]
    "DuplicateExtentBatchSizeinMB"=dword:000003e8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wbem\CIMOM]
    "High Threshold On Client Objects (B)"="60000000"
    "High Threshold On Events (B)"="60000000"

2) Increase the WMI MemoryPerHost setting.

a. Start “wbemtest” as administrator.
    b. Connect to the “root” namespace (not “root\default”, just “root”)
    c. Click Open Instance. Specify “__ProviderHostQuotaConfiguration=@”
    d. Select Local Only for easier readability. You will see the threshold values.
    e. Increase the MemoryPerHost 1073741824
    f. Save Property
    g. Save Object
    h. Click Exit.

3) Reboot the DPM / MABS Server.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 10, 2020 9:27 PM