none
Word and Excel co-authoring in SharePoint 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• There is a lot of confusion on this topic so I just want to confirm if following is true:  

Word = Supports co-authoring via both desktop application and Office Online Server/Office Web App Server  

Powerpoint = Supports co-authoring via both desktop application and Office Online Server/Office Web App Server  

Excel = Only supports co-authoring via Office Online Server/Office Web App Server
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:56 AM

All replies

• It seems both desktop and web versions support co-authoring for all cases (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) as per this link

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-online-service-description.aspx

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:42 AM
  • It's more limited than that.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-EE1509B4-1F6E-401E-B04A-782D26F564A4

Excel requires the Office CTR client (not VLK/Retail) and OneDrive, ODfB, or SharePoint Online. On-prem SharePoint isn't supported.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Carl__Zhou Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:14 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:01 AM
  • It's more limited than that.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-EE1509B4-1F6E-401E-B04A-782D26F564A4

Excel requires the Office CTR client (not VLK/Retail) and OneDrive, ODfB, or SharePoint Online. On-prem SharePoint isn't supported.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

So co-authoring using Excel 2016 desktop client (no matter which version for e.g. VLK/Retail/CTR) with SharePoint 2016 on-premise is not supported?

But if I use Office Online Server with SharePoint 2016 on-premise then co-authoring is supported using web based Excel, right?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:46 AM
  • No, for on-prem stored Excel docs co-author isn't supported regardless of scenario.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:35 AM
  • No, for on-prem stored Excel docs co-author isn't supported regardless of scenario.

Trevor Seward

Sorry to bother you again but are you talking about desktop client right!?

But if I install Office Online Server/Office Web Apps Server along with SharePoint 2016 on-premises then Excel (web based) co-authoring is supported, right!?

Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:17 AM
  • No. If you want co-author, you must use cloud-based services from Microsoft.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:28 AM

Trevor Seward

Hmm....that means all these technet links floating around are providing misleading/incorrect information.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:33 AM

Trevor Seward

I hate to contradict a guy who literally wrote the book on it, but I can confirm from experience that coauthoring through the Excel web client is indeed possible for SharePoint Server 2016 (on premises) when Office Online Server (also on premises) is properly configured.

And in case my word isn't enough, here's a quote from the docs:

The Excel client application does not support co-authoring workbooks in SharePoint Server or SharePoint Online. But, the Excel client application uses the Shared Workbook feature to support non-real-time co-authoring workbooks that are stored locally or on network (UNC) paths. Co-authoring workbooks in SharePoint is supported by using the Excel Web App.

(Emphasis mine)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/governance/co-authoring-overview#understanding-the-end-user-experience-of-co-authoring-in-sharepoint-server-and-sharepoint-online

Friday, June 8, 2018 8:20 PM