none
the storage where the virtual hard disk is located does not support virtual disk sharing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I deployed 2 hyper v vitual machines a while ago, and i did that because I needed to test my current game Project, which is an

online game. However, i've had some problems with my Windows installation then I had to reset the pc by making it a refresh

install. I still have the hyper v virtual disks, but i cannot attach it to a new hyper-v virtual machine. it pops up this message:

"the storage

where the virtual hard disk is located does not support virtual disk sharing". I dont know anything about virtual machines, so I

didnt know I had to make the disk sharable. How can I force to attach the hard disk to a new hyper-v? I dont want to go t

hrough the whole proccess of installing the operating system all over again and updating it....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Romulo Romero

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi MrDebugging,

>>

When I Try to add a SCSI Controller, and then I click browse to add a UNC I get this:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual hard disks\ClienMachine.vhdx

but I tried placing in different location, and the same problem occurs!

By the way, Im not on a server , I am a domestic user and I am running it on my Windows 8.1

According to the error message , it seems that it is not a permission issue .

The VM is Gen 1 or Gen2 ?

Generally the error message occurs when you enable "shared vhdx" on standalone/client hyper-v host :

Please try to attach the VHDx file to IDE controller if it is a Gen 1 virtual machine (because only the SCSI controller has the option "virtual hard disk sharing" and Gen 1 VM only can boot from IDE )

All in all , please do not use this feature without CSV or Scale-Out File Server with SMB 3.0 on file-based storage .

If it is not the case , please detail steps what you did .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you already have a VM configured that is using that virtual disk.

By default only one VM can use a single virtual disk.  "shared VHDX" is an option to allow two VMs to share the same data disk.  But I am guessing that does not relate to your scenario.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:19 PM
  • I had a virtual machine configured, i mean two virtual machines. However, after the system refresh, it seems that it didnt keep the virtual machines, only their virtual disks..
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:35 PM
  • By the way, I just tried to create a virtual machine from scratch and the same error pops up....I have no idea what to do..
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:53 PM
  • What is the type of virtual disk that you are creating?  And what console are you using?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying, I am using the Hyper-V Manager(virtmgmt.msc)...The disk is vhdx(I tried creating a VHD disk but dindt work either)...any clues?

• Edited by MrDebugging Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Are the vhdx files markred as read only (or maybe the path they are stored on)? Is the partition maybe presented as read only to the OS in disk management? If coming from a SAN - maybe the lun was re-exposed as ReadOnly because it knew it was owned by the other OS, but you don't have it registered as writable in this OS)?

Can you copy any files to it or create new files to the disk hosting the VHDX files? Also, what is the actual storage (disk/SSD/USB stick) ? What partition is it formatted with?

Lots of questions eh :)

Cheers,

Max

• Edited by Maxim M Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi Max,

Thanks for replying!

When I right click on the virtual discs are not marked as read only..Only the folders but not with the 'v' check mark but rather with the square...

I tried unmark it and it still doesnt work. When I mount the unit it asks me for admin permision then i enter the crendention and therefore i can create folders and files without a problem...Im not using SSD my hard disk is the regular one...magnetic platter...

It doesnt matter where i try to create/place the file it throws me the error...

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:26 PM
  • How are you referencing the VDHX?

Is this a local path such as C:\VMs\disk.vhdx

or is this using a UNC path of some sort such as \\HyperV\adminShare\VMs\disk.vhdx

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:33 PM
  • When I Try to add a SCSI Controller, and then I click browse to add a UNC I get this:

By the way, Im not on a server , I am a domestic user and I am running it on my Windows 8.1 machine.

• Edited by MrDebugging Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:38 PM
  • I gave up on hyper-v...Installed VMware and it seems to be working well...

We'll see how it goes..but thanks guys I appreciate the effort!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Hi MrDebugging,

>>

When I Try to add a SCSI Controller, and then I click browse to add a UNC I get this:

By the way, Im not on a server , I am a domestic user and I am running it on my Windows 8.1

According to the error message , it seems that it is not a permission issue .

The VM is Gen 1 or Gen2 ?

Generally the error message occurs when you enable "shared vhdx" on standalone/client hyper-v host :

Please try to attach the VHDx file to IDE controller if it is a Gen 1 virtual machine (because only the SCSI controller has the option "virtual hard disk sharing" and Gen 1 VM only can boot from IDE )

All in all , please do not use this feature without CSV or Scale-Out File Server with SMB 3.0 on file-based storage .

If it is not the case , please detail steps what you did .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi there. I have the same issue running Hyper-V on Windows 10 (Build 10049).

I get the message even when trying to create a new HDD (SCSI and IDE). Looks like virtual hard disk sharing is on by default? Any ideas?

Thanks, Francois

Francois Vorster

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:36 AM
  • Hi, just changed the default location of the Hard-disks back to the original, created new disk and it worked!

So I guess it is probably permissions related in my case.

Regards

Francois Vorster

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:44 AM