Can upgrade version be use as a clean install? RRS feed

• Question

• Right now I have vista business which I bought the full retail DVD. I want to preorder the upgrade from newegg.com for $99 which is the Pro version. What I want to do is once I insert the windows 7 DVD will I be able to do a clean install and wipe out vista? I don't want to upgrade the vista or you can call it install on top of vista since is old and needs to be wipe out.
    I just can't get the right answer, some say you will have the option to do a clean install others say no.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:17 AM

All replies

• Yes you can.

The Microsoft store says:
    "If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista). "

More information at http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

Ray
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:15 AM
  • The upgrade versions of Windows 7 will not permit you to boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to perform a "clean install". 
    You must have Windows Vista currently installed, then boot to your Vista desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the
    DVD drive and select "custom Installation" to begin a "clean install".
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:07 PM
  • The upgrade versions of Windows 7 will not permit you to boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to perform a "clean install". 
    You must have Windows Vista currently installed, then boot to your Vista desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the
    DVD drive and select "custom Installation" to begin a "clean install".
    Carey Frisch

I don't believe this correct. Can you please point us to an official Microsoft publication indicating this?

It appears to me the Windows 7 RC DVD is an upgrade DVD since it gives both options to "Upgrade" or "Custom Installation" install. The RC DVD is bootable.
    I have Vista Home Premium installed and when I installed Windows 7 RC I booted from the DVD and chose "Custom" ("Upgrade" was greyed out) so I could do a clean install on another hard drive creating a dual boot setup. When I boot into Vista and insert the DVD, I can choose either "Upgrade" or "Custom Installation" as you mentioned. With my current dual boot setup, I can boot from the RC DVD and choose either "Upgrade" or "Custom Installation" So, common sense tells me RC emmulates an upgrade DVD media and it's bootable.
    • Edited by KeithG2 Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:51 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:48 PM
  • This article also applies to Windows 7 Upgrade versions:

Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Hi
    as far as i know the above is correct.
    as long as you have a legitmate version of vista you can do a clean install as long as its done from within your running vista.
    You will need a free partition to do this though.
    vista will be placed in the windows old folder.
    malc.
    • Proposed as answer by malcp Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lawrence GarvinEditor Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by malcp Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:25 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:03 PM
  • This article also applies to Windows 7 Upgrade versions:

Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD

Carey Frisch

Thanks Carey, but there is a workaround that Paul Thurrott posted after Vista was released "How to clean install Windows Vista with Upgrade media". He does have a "Is this legal?" paragraph that should be read. The procedure works as well as a simpilar method below without the double install. I have used both methods when I bought Vista Business Upgrade and both work fine after booting from the upgrade DVD and installing to a new hard drive or formated hard drive without a prior version of Windows installed. But, with both methods the consumer has to own a previous licensed version of Windows. Otherwise, the EULA is being voilated.

Simple method
    Install Windows Vista edition that corresponds with the license product key you purchased.
    Do not enter any product key during installation. You will get 30-days evaluation copy of Windows Vista after installing. After Windows Vista setup completes, boot up into Windows Vista, and turn off UAC.
    Press Win+R keyboard shortcut to open a command prompt.

Issue the following command in a command prompt to change the product key:
    cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk <upgrade product key including dashes>

Enter the following command to activate Windows Vista online:
    cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato

Type the following command in a command prompt to check and verify the activation result:
    cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv

• Edited by KeithG2 Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:25 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KeithG2 Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:26 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:16 PM
  • The workaround you site is not supported by Microsoft.  An upgrade license is an upgrade license and performing an in-place upgrade does not result in a compliant "full license".  Many folks who have tried the workaround have complained that eventually a WGA check results in a "non-genuine" issue.
    Therefore, trying the workaround is at your risk and is unsupported.

To quote Ed Bott: "doing a clean install with this technique is technically possible but violates the terms of the license agreement".

Ref: The Vista license "loophole" that isn't
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Thanks again. My whole point was to actually show that the Upgrade DVD is bootable. Microsoft has clearly stated that the qualifying licensed versions that can be upgraded are 2000, XP and Vista.

Let's show the entire quote not just a portion from Ed Bott.
    Quote: "If you qualify for an upgrade license, this technique allows you to do a clean install, legally. If you don’t qualify for an upgrade license, then doing a clean install with this technique is technically possible but violates the terms of the license agreement".
    • Edited by KeithG2 Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:10 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:41 PM
  • hi
    so are you saying that if you have a legit copy of vista running and you install the upgrade from within that copy onto a different partition its not legal.
    I think you are incorrect and the resulatnt system is legitimate and will work.
    malc
    my reply was intended for carey frisch and not keithg2 above who seems to have backed up what I have been saying a few posts back.
    malc
    as i never said boot the upgrade dvd but to run it from within the vista system i will now repropose my earlier suggestion as an answer.
    this was unproposed by lawrance garvin
    • Edited by malcp Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:53 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Bootable or not, you will not be able to enter a Windows 7 Upgrade product key if you boot from the DVD.  Only "full license" versions can enter a product key if booting directly from the DVD.

As I mentioned earlier, if you try the workaround and it does not work, you'll end up having to purchase a "full license" version of Windows 7 or start over and install the qualifying Windows operating system before installing the upgrade version of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:57 PM
  • hi
    i am not suggesting boot the dvd directly i am suggesting running setup from within the vista installation but placing the result on a different partition.
    whats wrong with this.
    malc
    or a different drive
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Q. "So are you saying that if you have a legit copy of vista running and you install the upgrade from within that copy onto a different partition its not legal."

A.  Correct.  The licensing terms state you can not use the qualifying Windows license once the upgrade license is used.

Qualifying Windows license + Windows 7 Upgrade license = compliant Windows 7 license

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:04 PM
  • hi
    thats correct the original post says he wants to delete the qualifying licence software.

no more problems
    he will not be using both licenses

i have answered his question
    malc
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Now I'm confused because it clearly states on Microsoft's own website that you CAN do a clean install from an upgrade disk. How do you do this? Does it ask for two different keys? I'm not understanding this. I'm about to just cancel my order. This whole upgrade process seems like too much of a pain.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:16 PM
  • BababooeyHTJ,
    Just like VistaGuyRay indicated, you can do a clean install from the upgrade disk. He actually answered Digitalmind's original question.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Q. "Now I'm confused because it clearly states on Microsoft's own website that you CAN do a clean install from an upgrade disk. How do you do this?".

A.  Simple.  While at your current Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select "custom installation" when the setup menu appears.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Q. "Now I'm confused because it clearly states on Microsoft's own website that you CAN do a clean install from an upgrade disk. How do you do this?".

A.  Simple.  While at your current Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select "custom installation" when the setup menu appears.
    Carey Frisch

Carey, given that the advertised product is not yet available (not even RTM) -- it's really not possible for somebody to perform the 'test' described in your answer.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:38 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm getting so many answers here still, not sure who to believe. All I need is one answer which is to boot from the win 7 DVD and do custom installation and clean install by wiping out vista and formatting that partition. Not to install windows 7 on vista or along side which is a no go for me
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:38 PM
  • The reason you're getting conflicting answers, is because we really Do Not Know what the correct answer is. Historically this behavior was not possible with Windows Vista (legally, or in a supported manner) even though many found a 'workaround' to achieve that.

The expectation was that the behavior would also not be supported in Windows 7; however, the Microsoft Store is advertising that this behavior will be possible.

Until we can get some authoritative confirmation of the information posted by the Microsoft Store with regards to the Upgrade SKU, the simple truth is that we're all flying a bit blind at the moment.

And, the ultimate truth won't really be known until we get the actual media in our hands -- which is still a few months away.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:41 PM
    Answerer
  • I need to know soon since there is a offer for professional version a price of $99 at newegg and amazon which will end July 11. Monday I will have to call microsoft again then to confirm this. Dam this sucks
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Digitalmind,
    Lawrence is absolutely correct. It's advertised at the MS Store that a clean install is possible. We don't know for a fact since no one has the media. So a lot of the conversation regarding booting from the DVD or performing a clean install from within Vista is speculation based on what is known about what was accomplished with Vista Upgrade media.

I already ordered Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and am sticking to it because I am confident I will be able to technically format my Vista partition and install Windows 7 Pro clean (Custom Installation). Do I know this for a fact? No, but I'm not concerned.
    • Edited by KeithG2 Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:05 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Yea I will take microsoft word for this since is what they posted on their store page. They better me right or I will lose money since once you open that box you can't return it. The other thing is when you want to reinstall windows you will have to first install vista then windows 7. Like if your OS gets fuckup from virus or any other causes and if you change hard drivers.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi Folks

I locked this thread to deter any further speculative misinformation from being posted.

There is no denying that a loophole existed in the installation routines for Windows Vista. However, what we do not know, at this point is whether or not that loophole has been closed in Windows 7.

I urge everyone to who takes advantage of the current pre-release purchase offer to base their decisions on the valid Windows Licenses that they currently own. Please do not base your decision on any non-authoritative information.

As soon as we receive any official information it will be posted on these forums.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:16 PM