Prevent Desktop Shortcut from being deleted, movied, and renamed on computers part of AD RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am supporting computers part of a school. All computers are joined to AD. I am trying to prevent the students from deleting, moving, and renaming the desktop shortcuts.

The student’s right click is disabled.

Is there a solution to prevent the students from deleting, moving, and renaming the shortcuts from their desktop?

With student’s permission, I can move the shortcut to the recycle bin but I cannot empty the recycle bin. I can hit the delete button on the keyboard, and it will prompted me to delete question yes or no. I can hit yes and the shortcut will end up at the recycle bin. I can also hit shift + delete to permanently delete the shortcut.

Regards,

BM

• Edited by Bassam Mansi Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:35 PM spell
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can put the shortcuts on the public desktop.

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Then users can only read and execute this directory.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:44 PM
  • You can put the shortcuts on the public desktop.

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Then users can only read and execute this directory.

What is the best way to deploy this change to over 400 computer?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:04 PM
    • Edited by britishdhez Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, March 16, 2015 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:34 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:58 AM
  • I know this is a few years old now but how can this be marked as best answer? You know that does something entirely different right? The description of that policy tells you -

I believe the answer from T Kujala is the most accurate even for hundred users? Although I am a bit confused whether setting permissions for the public folder should work? If not how can we prevent that, you can simply press the Delete key on your keyboard and that will still delete icons from the desktop?

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:00 PM
  • No... You can't. That policy setting does something completely different. Shame on you spreading false information.
    Monday, January 13, 2020 8:47 PM