none
Project Server and external tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Can someone provide a brief explanation of what happens when Project Pro 2010 opens a non-master schedule from Project Server that has external predecessors and successors in schedules that are also on the server?  (And whether or not using Project Server vs. a complete file set stored locally makes any difference.)  Assumptions are that the options are set to display the external link pop-up box so the user can decide what links to update.

We have about a dozen large schedules with numerous linked predecessors and successors, and we're having problems keeping the links consistent between the files.

What I'm particularly interested in is how Project determines when it wants to offer the user the option in the pop-up to create or delete external links. From watching the cache folder contents, it appears that Project actually downloads and reads each schedule with external tasks, and then decides what updates to offer the user.  Does Project look at the file dates on the server at all to determine which schedule is most current, or is it simply a case of the external file has the link, you don't, so you need to add this link, or vice versa, you have this link, the external file doesn't, you need to delete the link?

Thanks,

lp

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that it utilizes the last published date. the pop up appears as soon as you open the project with external tasks.

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Marc - sorry for my slow response.

I want to make sure of the terminology: when you say "published" do you mean in the actual Project Server "Published" repository, or will the dates also be compared if you're in the Working repository?

I thought it might be something like this when I first started using Project Server, but occasionally, we get what looks like a "race condition" between two different files trying to recreate deleted links.  I'll have to try and sort out a bit if we're doing something that's fooling Project into picking the wrong file to update.

Our project files are very large and take a while to load, so actually opening both schedule files at the same time to delete the predecessor / successor links sometimes leads to crashes, so we tend to delete them in one file, and then in the other.

Thanks,

lp

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:00 PM