none
Error in Project WebApp - An Unexpected Error Has Occurred (Es ist ein unerwarteter Fehler aufgetreten) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Project Server professionals,

I have a problem with opening an project plan in Project WepApp. I get after a certain time the following error message:

Error in Eglish

Error

An Unexpected Error Has Occurred

In ULSLog I found this error:

Exception occurred in method Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.View.ViewGetViewReportsByType	
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
    	at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    	at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    	at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
    	at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
    	at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
    	at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.DAL.SubDal.FillTypedDataSet(Boolean allowCache, DataSet typedDataSet, String[] tables, SqlCommand sqlCommand, Boolean enforceConstraints)
    	at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.Generated.ViewDalBase.GetViewReportsByType(Int32 p0, Guid tsUIDprojUID, Guid res_uid)
    	at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.View.GetViewReportsByType(ViewType viewType, Guid tsUID)
    	at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Wcf.Implementation.PWAImpl.ViewGetViewReportsByType(ViewType viewType, Guid tsUID)
    Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider Server: DATABASESERVER\INSTANCE

It seems as if the function runs on a database timeout. Unfortunately my previous activities didn't success. The last thing I tried is to increase the database timeout with the following command.

stsadm -o setproperty -pn database-connection-timeout -pv 60

Unfortunately, the timeout still occurs.
    I think that the timeout is triggered between these two calls, because this time is very exactly 30 seconds.

Entering monitored scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation)
    Leaving Monitored Scope (FillTypedDataSet -- MSP_WEB_SP_QRY_GetViewReportsByType). Execution Time=30049.4548888197

Short Info about the system:

Microsoft Server 2008 R2 with SharePoint and ProjectServer 2010 (CU February 2013)

Microsoft Server 2008 R2 with MS SQL Server 2008 witout SP1 and one instance for Sharepoint and Projectserver 

• Edited by iNoels Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:25 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this issue project specific? Do you have Microsoft Recommended Database maintenance  plan in place?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc973097(v=office.14).aspx

Updating database statistics by executing SP_Updatestats on all 4 project databases might help.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

it is not related to specified project, but specified user. I have checked the database maintenance plan again and it corresponds to the Microsoft best practis. I have also let sp_updatestats run over the 4 databases, unfortunately without success.

However, I have also gained a new insight. It only affects users who are in a particular group and this group denies access to specific projects, but not on the projects that the user wants to open. If the user is not in the deny group he does not get the error.

New Info:

The execution Time for  MSP_WEB_SP_QRY_GetViewReportsByType is under 30 seconds if the user is not in the specified group

Leaving Monitored Scope (FillTypedDataSet -- MSP_WEB_SP_QRY_GetViewReportsByType). Execution Time=20482.2224612346

• Edited by iNoels Friday, April 19, 2013 7:53 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Clearly the permissions checks are the culprit. Do you need to use Deny? In more than a hundred deployments I have not used this for more than two clients.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:24 PM