none
DPM 2010 backup job failing after attaching external USB drive inside a virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Hyper-V VM SQL server with 3 VHD files corresponding to the C, E, and F drives.  This VM is backed up using the Child Partition Snapshot.  We have to keep a total history of SQL backups and our DPM server does not have enough space for this so I wanted to attach a USB drive to appear as drive G so we could backup the SQL DBs and have this drive outside the scope of DPM.  

I am using a program called USB Redirector where the drive is actually plugged into a physical host and then it is mounted within the VHD so it appears as a local drive.  As soon as I attached this drive, the DPM backups began failing with the following error.  "The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation."

This is the only VM on that host that is failing.  I did reboot the VM, but it did not fix the problem.  I disconnected the drive and the backups began working again.

Why is DPM not liking this drive connected?  I thought since it is not a part of the VM configuration, DPM would not even recognize it.  I don't want this drive being backed up.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies