Requirements for ADFS Load Balancing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'd like to configure Load Balancing between 2 ADFS server using L4 network device.

However, Network is out of my field so Please advise me to do this.

AS I've studied about "Load balancing" there are some algorithms such as "Round Robin", "Fastest Response Time" and so on..

My Question is Are there any algorithm limitations when configuring load balancing?
    For example, if I can configure 2 ADFS as Round Robin but can not configure an algorithm using Hash values.

Please let me know if there are some TechNet or other link that I can understand. :)

Thank you

Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:41 AM

All replies

• The vendor of network devices often have their own instructions how to implemenet load balancing for ADFS.
    In general you just need one or two VIP (depending on if you want to have load balacing for both internal and external network). And then make sure SNI is enabled.

You want ADFS (or eg WAP) to handle SSL termination so do not terminate SSL on your external load balancer if you will configure one. Another good tip could be to instead of monitor the nodes via ping from the network devices is to monitor if metadata is available on the backend nodes for ADFS.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:45 AM