SharePoint 2007 B2B failed RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we have had failed attempt of upgrading SharePoint 2007 SP2 build to August 2012 cummulative updates. Since the upgraded failed many of the timer jobs stopped including the Change Log and immediate alerts. I am getting this error in the event viewer:

"

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category: Timer
    Event ID: 6398
    Description:
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpgradeJobDefinition (ID 57ed0c2c-7296-49fe-a39c-1c202ee486a6) threw an exception. More information is included below.

A gradual upgrade timer job is being stopped, because an build-to-build in-place upgrade is detected. Running the gradual upgrade timer job will interfere with the in-place upgrade. Please try again later when the in-place upgrade is finished

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    "

Here is the error log from the Upgrade.log:

SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Upgrade [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebSite] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: InstallAspNet 400697275 failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.EnsureAspNetScriptMapInstalled.Upgrade()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Action 3.0.3.0 of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.Upgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
    [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Elapsed time upgrading [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebSite]: 00:01:05.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebSite] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.EnsureAspNetScriptMapInstalled.Upgrade()
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Action 3.0.3.0 of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.ReflexiveUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
    [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Disposing Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebSite.
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPWebApplication Name=I.T. Villanet Parent=SPWebService to Online.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPWebApplication Name=I.T. Villanet Parent=SPWebService] failed.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.ReflexiveUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.Upgrade(Boolean recursively)
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPWebService Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config to Online.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPWebService Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] failed.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.Upgrade(Boolean recursively)
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPWebServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=KEWSPFE to Provisioning.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPWebServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=KEWSPFE] failed.
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:50 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPServer Name=KEWSPFE Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config to Online.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPServer Name=KEWSPFE Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: InstallAspNet 400697275 failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.EnsureAspNetScriptMapInstalled.Upgrade()
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: Action 3.0.3.0 of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config to Online.
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: Inplace Upgrade session finishes. root object = SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config, recursive = True. 7 errors and 0 warnings encountered.
    [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/28/2013 6:17:51 AM]: Removing exclusive upgrade regkey by setting the mode to none
    [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/28/2013 6:18:00 AM]: SyncUpgradeTimerJob: Upgrade timer job failed. Return -1.

Any help would be apprecited.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi CALIG,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com. 

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Thanks Daniel,

for your information the WSS update is which has been applied is build 12.0.6545.5001 which is August 31, 2010 update. I don see this as an issue since the WSS and MOSS could be on diferent build versions.

Thanks,

Hamid

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Hi Hamid,

please have a check on this workaround:

run once again the command „PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures“  in the “Bin” Folder as an administrator console session.

In the moment the status “Configurationtask 5 of 6 is executed”, start to run the command “net start SPTraceV4 & net start SPWriterV4 & net start SPAdminV4 & net start SPSearch4 & net start SPTimerV4” in a parallel administrator console session and after that the configuration task finished successfully.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/94a8bb64-e0ea-493f-8e29-01347b1fc6c7/psconfig-fails-failed-to-upgrade-sharepoint-products

if I may suggest please update to SP3 first then update to this august 2012, and please notice, between WSS and MOSS may have differences, if you are using MOSS, then please use MOSS update, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/bb735839.aspx

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Aries, Thanks for your instruction. Should apply both WSS and MOSS sp3 first? As I said previously the version of WSS cumulative update is August 2010 while version of MOSS cumulative update applied is August 2012. Should I first apply both WSS and MOSS Sp3 and then apply the August 2012? I assume that the. I have to follow your instruction. I appreciate it if you could shed some light on it. Many thanks, Hamid
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:28 AM
  • Hi Hamid,

may I know the detail of your environment?

in your environment, you are having a SharePoint server 2007(MOSS), or WSS 3.0?

the easiest difference is WSS 3.0 is free, and MOSS 2007 is payable.

if your environment have those 2, then I believe it may be 2 different farms?

to check your environment update, please check at your central admin then goes to manage servers in farm:

Central Administration > Operations > Servers In Farm > Database Schema Version

if you have 2 different farm, MOSS and WSS, then you may apply the update accordingly to the products, MOSS using MOSS update and WSS using WSS update.

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Hi Aries, We have MOSS farm in place. Based on Microsoft recommendation you need to apply the WSS update first and then MOSS? Isn't that correct? We have have applied two different version of update to our environment as I said August 2010 cumulative update for WSS and August 2012 Cummylative update for MOSS. Before these update we had already applied SP2. After these updates gone through we ran the configuration wizard and received the above errors. The current version that shows in CA is 12.0.6545.5001. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks, Hamid
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Hi Hamid,

as I know, basically WSS and MOSS 2007, are different product, so the updates may not WSS update to MOSS update. if you are using MOSS, then please use MOSS update. this will be also the same with SharePoint 2010 Foundation and SharePoint 2010 server.

your version is August 2010 cumulative update at this moment,

I think there is a process that is stuck in the process, if for example we install sp3 at this moment, perhaps the issue may the same, that the update is still on going, on still on lock status.

please have a try on this workaround to refresh this,

run once again the command „PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures“  in the “Bin” Folder as an administrator console session.
    In the moment the status “Configurationtask 5 of 6 is executed”, start to run the command “net start SPTraceV4 & net start SPWriterV4 & net start SPAdminV4 & net start SPSearch4 & net start SPTimerV4” in a parallel administrator console session and after that the configuration task finished successfully.

then you may try to update the MOSS again, the august 2012, may installed without SP3, but, if possible please update to sp3 first for important fixes.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Hi Aries, Does the instruction apply to 2007 as well? SpTimerV4 is for SharePoint 2010, isn't it? Thanks, Hamid
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi Hamid,

SpTimerV4 is true for 2010,

but at 2007, is SpTimerV3,

the difference is on V3 and V4.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi Aries, I will give it a go this weekend and let you know how I go. I will follow the commands you provided first to get the upgrade completed. Then I will run the SP3 upgrade as well. Many thanks, Hamid
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hi Aries,

I have followed your instruction but it didnt work in my case. I have done a bit more research and finally find the solution to fix the errors in the log from the following sources.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944267

http://sharepointbramley.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/action-3030-of-microsoftsharepointupgra.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/josrod/archive/2007/12/12/clear-the-sharepoint-configuration-cache-for-timer-job-and-psconfig-errors.aspx

here is the summary of what I did to fix the issue:

1. Open a Command Prompt and navigate to the following directory “%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\”
    2. Execute the following command: “aspnet_regiis.exe -i"
    3. Stop the " Windows SharePoint Services Timer" service
    4. Delete ONLY the xml files from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config
    5. Note: Do NOT delete the cache.ini file in this folder
    6. Edit cache.ini and change to "1"
    7. Start " Windows SharePoint Services Timer" service
    8. Run psconfig again: PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b –force

Hope it help someone else that come accross this issue.

• Marked as answer by CALIG Monday, September 9, 2013 2:17 AM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 2:17 AM