none
Several workers available- only one is needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This might seem trivial but I need your help.

I have a task that requires one type of employee (i.e. mechanical integrator).

I have several employees of this type set up as resources. I want the project to choose which one to use based on who's most available for the task.

If I choose them all as resources- the task requires them all to be available. I need the task to be completed by one pertson and not divided to several employees.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Yaniv

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• This is how I would do it. It's an iterative process which converges to an "optimal" solution very quickly. Try something, check. If you got an improvement, try some more. MSP cannot make your decisions for you, although in many cases it tries hard. Even though you may think that MSP should be able to decide who is most available and therefore should be the next one to be assigned to a task, it can't do that. It doesn't know if the task is bricklaying or shooting pigeons, and it doesn't know if a resource is a carpenter or a boilermaker. It cannot know for sure that the most available resource is the one you want to assign to the next task, and there may be other reasons for not wanting to assign that resource.

However, MSP does have ways of showing you what the situation is so that you can make informed decisions to go in whichever direction you want to go in.

The work table in the resource sheet shows who has the most to least amount of work. Insert the peak column/field into the table who is most to least over-allocated.

The task usage and resource usage views are useful. And, of course, the resource graph view. That's why there are all these views - to resolve problems like this.

Your problem has multiple objectives, You can't just pursue one objective without compromising another one. The objectives are to spread the work evenly and also to minimise the amount of over-allocation, so that the delays imposed by leveling, if any are necessary, will be less severe. You also don't want any resource to have peaks and valleys or gaps, but these will sometimes be unavoidable and have to be accepted, and/or to a large extent will disappear when you follow this process, so you don't have to worry about it (much). Removing peaks and valleys and gaps is called "smoothing", which is different from leveling. I don't worry about smoothing until lats, if at all.

First set it all up with tasks (auto-scheduled only) durations and predecessors/successors. It is a bit pointless assigning and re-assigning resources if you don't first have all good predecessors and successors and a crystal clear critical path. You are doing the right thing if you have individual people as resources. I don't know what a mechanical integrator is but I am guessing you have
    mechanical integrator 01
    mechanical integrator 02
    mechanical integrator 03
    mechanical integrator 04
    mechanical integrator 05

Start at the top of the task list. You may want to sort tasks by start date first. Assign 01 to tasks until he is not quite over-allocated. Then assign 02, 03, 04, 05 the same down the task list. Then start over with 01 and keep going with 02 etc. Because some tasks have longer durations, the work will vary. Check the work table in the resource sheet view.  If the project is overall say 26 weeks, no one can have their total work more than 40 x 26 = 1040 hours, and then no more than 40 hours in any given week. If you still have more tasks but everyone is assigned and maxed out, you need more guys.

Any help?

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:56 AM