SCCM 2012 migration problem - RPC server is unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• We installed separate new domain (domainB) and SCCM 2012 SP1 Cu3 primary site within it. We want to transfer some settings and data from our source domainA also SCCM 2012 SP1 Cu3 primary site using migration mechanism build in SCCM (node Administration -> Migration -> Source Hierarchy). There is a AD trust relationship between them and no firewall for now. I tried to telnet from SCCM in domainB on port 445 and 135 to SCCM in domainA - works ok. I also used third party tool WMIexplorer.exe  to connect from SCCM in domainB to SCCM in domainA - I am able to make a connection and list ROOT\SMS classes (as SCCMadmin from domainA)

The gathering process has some problem and display error "Configuration manager failed to gather data from...", in migmctrl.log
    ERROR: [MigrationManager]: Error occurred when connecting to WMI [\\SCCM.domainA\root\SMS]. Connect to root\SMS failed, please make sure the DNS and the target machine is responsible. Error Information -2147023174, The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

ERROR: [MigrationManager]: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Migration.MigrationException: Error occurred when connecting to WMI [\\SCCM.domainA\root\SMS]. Connect to root\SMS failed, please make sure the DNS and the target machine is responsible. Error Information -2147023174, The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)     at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)     at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)     at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()     at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()     at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ConnectionHelper.TestWmiConnection(ManagementScope scope, String testQuery, Boolean needVerifySiteVersion, Version lowestVersion, Version highestVersion, Version version5LowestVersion, Version version5HighestVersion, MigrationException& error)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ConnectionHelper.TryConnectAndTestWmi(String fullNamespace, String serverAddress, ConnectionOptions options, Boolean isLocalSystem, Boolean isLocalProvider, String testQuery, Boolean needVerifySiteVersion, Version lowestVersion, Version highestVersion, Version version5LowestVersion, Version version5HighestVersion)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ConnectionHelper.ConnectToWmi(String fullNamespace, String serverAddress, String username, SecureString password, String testQuery, Boolean needVerifySiteVersion, Version lowestVersion, Version highestVersion, Version version5LowestVersion, Version version5HighestVersion)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ConnectionHelper.ConnectToSiteServer(String siteServer, String username, SecureString password, String testQuery)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ConnectionBuilder.BuildWmiConnection(Dictionary`2 context)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ObjectFactory.<>c__DisplayClass1`1.<Register>b__0(Dictionary`2 n)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.ObjectFactory.TryCreate[T](Dictionary`2 context)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.JobManagerBase`1.ConnectToLegacySite(IMigrationSiteInfo siteInfo)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.SyncAgentJobManager.CreateJob(MigrationRepository repository, MIG_SiteMapping scheduleItem)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.MigrationManager.JobManagerBase`1.GetNextJob(Int32& sleepMilliseconds)

-----------------------------

Any idea?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:08 AM

All replies

• Is name resolution working ?try adding the servername to the hostfile ,if that makes any difference. can you check this prereq for migration in addition to ports ,like TCP IP ports for SQL and other stuff listed in TechNet documentation https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/gg712313.aspx#BKMK_Required_Configurations

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr Blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: eskonr

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to verify WMI permissions?

1. On the SMS Provider computer, click Start, click Run, type wmimgmt.msc, and then click OK.

2. Right-click WMI Control, and then click Properties.

3. On the Security tab, expand Root, and then click SMS.

4. Click Security in the results pane to see the permissions.

5. Click Advanced, click SMS Admins, and then click View-edit.

6. If the SMS Admins group does not have Enable Account and Remote Enable permissions, grant the permissions.

7. Repeat this procedure for any groups used in addition to SMS Admins.

For more information, please review the link below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/abizerh/2009/06/11/troubleshooting-rpc-server-is-unavailable-error-reported-in-failing-ad-replication-scenario/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:15 AM
  • What do You mean exactly by name resolution working? I can telnet to ports 135 and 445 (tried also PortQry for this) so SCCM server name from domainA is resolved to IP correctly. There is a AD trust between both domains.

I checked also WMI permissions - account used for migration has proper permissions

Any other ideas?

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Check if DNS Scavenging is enabled on your DNS server.

With DNS scavenging disabled, clients registered in SCCM will not be purged out of the database as they normally would if the records are purged from DNS as they should be.  Therefore, stale client inventory data will remain in the SCCM database indefinitely. 

Pax et bonum

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:57 PM
  • Simple as ABC.

I wanted to migrate from Srv1 to Srv2.

I had this problem in my setup. It was simply a problem with the domain account password. I cannot exactly say why this happened.

I didn't, ever change the domain account password.

This happened between reboots in SCCM, it seems that the password that was using SCCM to connect from Srv2 to Srv1 for the migration changed (or could be hash change or for example).

I went to Administration -> Accounts -> Right clic on the accound and chosse Properties -> then Re-enter the correct password.

I am in French so I dont know the exact name, it coud be "Test" or "Verify".

Then go to Test connection -> select WMI -> and verify that you can connect to the source server. After this, I could continue the migration.

• Edited by j36k Saturday, November 30, 2019 6:01 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2019 6:00 PM