Block Internet Access to Win 7 Laptop except specific External IP Address / Secure USB memory Sticks RRS feed

• Question

• To all the fonts of all knowledge.

I have two questions which are simple ones but I cannot find or don't know where to start to look

Up until now we have supplied just software to our customer and now we are looking at providing the hardware as well as the support for said hardware.

1) The plan is that when we need to carry out any maintenance to the laptops, instead of me or one of my team jumping in a car/plane to the customers location to update the software (both windows and application), the customer connects the laptop to the internet and dials into our Secure VPN so I can then RD into it to do all the work remotely. However the customer cannot have access to anything else in the outside world. I know it can be done as my wife's laptop cannot access the internet but only through her company VPN. I want to do the same but not give the customer access to the internet at all just my external IP address so I can access it.

2) We will provide them with secure USB memory sticks to use but they can only use these ones, all others will be blocked. How do I do this?

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated

Phil C

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your first question, please configure the VPN connection to use the default gateway on the remote network.

1 VPN Properties
    Right-click your VPN connection and choose "Properties".

2 TCP/IPv4 Settings
    Go to the Networking tab and open your TCP/IPv4 item and click on "Advanced".

3 Default Gateway on Remote Network
    Check “Use default gateway on remote network” and click "OK".

For the USB issue, you can try this workaround:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1488-lockdown-usb-to-specific-removable-usb-drives

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can also check this policy to see if it is helpful:

Managing Hardware Restrictions via Group Policy
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.grouppolicy.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:34 AM