1 user (AD) with 2 exchange email account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all ..

I need help  .... :)

scenario : 1 user in "Active Directory" and he has exchange 2010 email account

problem : the user complaint, an existing email always received spam/junk, so he decided to have another email account.

My question : can I create email (1 ID with 2 email account, different name but in same AD ?), will exchange licenses allow user to have 2 email but using 1 ID ? how to do this ...

Friday, October 4, 2013 1:26 AM

Answers

• Why not just have your spam filter block all mail to gerrad@domain.com (two "r"s)? Then change the primary e-mail address on the current mailbox to gerrard@domain.com (three "r"s) and keep the gerrad@domain.com (two "r"s) as a secondary SMP proxy address?

Your proposed use of a single PST for two mailboxes makes my skin crawl even more than using one PST! Why use a PST at all? That might have made sense in 1997, but today???

If I understood your plan ("AD and exchange email still same"), it won't work. A SMTP address is similar to a postal address -- only one location can have the same identification.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Friday, October 4, 2013 10:05 PM

All replies

• A mailbox is, in the AD, a set of properties that are part of a user object. So one AD User can have only one mailbox.

You can create another user and assign a mailbox to it. The user (i.e. person) can have access to both mailboxes. As long as the user isn't using the second account to log in to the domain you don't need another license. That means, however, that the 2nd mailbox cannot be used by ActiveSync from a mobile device (unless that device can open both mailboxes in one session as Outlook can).

Friday, October 4, 2013 2:06 AM
  • hi ...

thanks for the reply ...

however need some clarification ..., hopefully can guide me ...

Current :

user, e.g = AD id : gerrad, exchange email = "gerrard" (this email sometimes received junk/spam, however still need due to corporate email.

Planning

2nd email : AD id : gerrard (AD and exchange email still same), however new email created e.g "def".. can it be done ? and how to do it ?. All email will downloaded into pst, new exchange profile will created. No new AD id will created.

I believed no licensing issue on Exchange CAL as per earlier answering or anything that maybe give impact on the Exchange license/related item. Is this correct ??

Thanks.

Friday, October 4, 2013 2:46 AM
  • You can create two mailboxes (2 users), and give 1 user full access to both, both will appear in outlook. This technically requires two licenses.

You could create another shared mailbox or convert existing user mailbox to shared and assign security to the same user this requires 1 license. The shared mailbox will not be accessible to ActiveSync devices (hard coded by design) but is accessible via webmail and outlook

You can take 1 mailbox and assign 2 email addresses to it you just need to remember to uncheck the apply address book policy button otherwise it will reset on you, or not let you.

Not sure what may fit your need

Friday, October 4, 2013 5:09 PM
  • You could also just add a second Email Address to the current mailbox and create an Inbox rule to move mail directly to a folder since most is SPAM. You could change the new address to be the primary address for the account as well.

As for as company info, this wouldn't change anything and the GAL would be updated.

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Why not just have your spam filter block all mail to gerrad@domain.com (two "r"s)? Then change the primary e-mail address on the current mailbox to gerrard@domain.com (three "r"s) and keep the gerrad@domain.com (two "r"s) as a secondary SMP proxy address?

Your proposed use of a single PST for two mailboxes makes my skin crawl even more than using one PST! Why use a PST at all? That might have made sense in 1997, but today???

If I understood your plan ("AD and exchange email still same"), it won't work. A SMTP address is similar to a postal address -- only one location can have the same identification.

Friday, October 4, 2013 10:05 PM