Multiple disk write performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having task of writing several files (50 files each of 50 MB) to a particular destination on a machine through java code. It is fine to complete the above task by running as a single thread. But my requirement is, I have to complete the above task for 50000 thread. Each thread will handle 50 files each of 50 MB. So that I have to write 2500000 files to the destination with the help of 50000 thread. My question is what will happen if I tried to implement the above task? Whether the destination system will got hang or system will crash or the operating system will take care by giving some space to each thread and if space is not available then the write process will be kept in a queue or not? If the OS does not handle the queue concept for write means then I have to handle it from the java code to delay the thread right? Please provide any solution. Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:05 AM

Answers

• I think it would hang, but it also depends on the type of hardware you're using. As per my understanding Win 7 supports 1 to 128 threads at one time. 

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, December 27, 2013 6:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharma Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:33 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi Jaya,

I agree with arnavsharma. It depends on hardware as you're (probably) not using a theoretical computer but a physical hardware one, so you have limited resources.

It's hard to say how many thread could be run at the same time. Here is a blog that focus on the process and thread limits of Windows:

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Processes and Threads

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• I think it would hang, but it also depends on the type of hardware you're using. As per my understanding Win 7 supports 1 to 128 threads at one time. 

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, December 27, 2013 6:10 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi Jaya,

I agree with arnavsharma. It depends on hardware as you're (probably) not using a theoretical computer but a physical hardware one, so you have limited resources.

It's hard to say how many thread could be run at the same time. Here is a blog that focus on the process and thread limits of Windows:

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Processes and Threads

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:33 AM